FORMULA 1 ROLEX GROSSER PREIS VON ÖSTERREICH 2020: RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄ | Page 13 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 ROLEX GROSSER PREIS VON ÖSTERREICH 2020: RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Jul 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Given they race here often and the kerbs are known issue why not have damping already in place.

2. DF1

If Ferrari update the aero then I see no major improvement possible.

3. DF1

I agree. Enforce the limits and the driver adapts no??

4. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    THIS ONE was his own fault. Ill timed maneuver. :(

paulchua and DF1 like this.
  5. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Sorry, I forgot where I am. I have to remember I’m on a Ferrari forum that’s been hijacked by Hamilton fans and “we” no longer means “Ferrari and its fans.”

Alonso was objectively the best FERRARI driver since Schumacher.

Lewis Hamilton will NEVER have that honor.

6. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    +1. CL has the potential though, very fluid "digital" driving.

LH probably just burned that bridge. Pity DR didn't get SV's seat though.

moretti, ingegnere and Giallo 550 like this.
  7. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Massive potential! I’m so excited to see him continue to develop!

lagunacc and ingegnere like this.
  8. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    When did this freeze happen? What about the various engine steps during the season? I hope Ferrari didn’t pick this engine design to freeze for 2 years.

9. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
  10. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I believe the engine freeze was decided in April.

Yeah, no updates for the next 2 years due to the freeze so everyone is pretty much stuck with whatever engine and component design they currently have.

11. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Binotto on Gazzetta dello Sport (for those who can read Italian and link for those who want to Google translate) saying they’re working night and day to improve but is surprised (!!) at the lost engine performance (compared to the others) after “all the clarifications and technical directives” from the FIA. Really?

He thinks they can improve handling performance but engine deficit will remain—for the next race or for the rest of the season is not clear. Hopefully it’s just short-term.

Best part of the article are the reader comments, including “Binotto, go to the barber!” LOL

https://www.gazzetta.it/Formula-1/05-07-2020/binotto-leclerc-sorpassi-fantastici-siamo-contenti-ma-c-lavorare-molto-380146810352.shtml

“Stiamo lavorando giorno e notte a Maranello, spingiamo per migliorare il più possibile. Arrivare con un aggiornamento per il GP di Stiria è importante per migliorarci e portarci avanti rispetto a McLaren e Racing Point”. Mattia Binotto ha spiegato così l’impegno della Ferrari per provare a portare aggiornamenti già nel prossimo fine settimana che si correrà ancora a Zeltweg.

Il team principal del Cavallino è felice per il secondo posto di Charles Leclerc, ma ha ammesso che la prestazione delle SF1000 va assolutamente migliarata: “Rispetto al 2019 abbiamo perso in prestazione motore, ci sono stati tanti chiarimenti e tante direttive tecniche da parte della Federazione, dobbiamo rimanere concentrati sulla macchina di quest’anno che ha un problema aerodinamico che stiamo cercando di correggere. Miglioreremo nelle curve ma rimane il problema dei rettilinei: dobbiamo capire perché c’è tanta differenza con le altre macchine”.

Isobel and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  12. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    I like this one (translation - Ferrari is not as good at cheating as Merc):

Il motore 2019 sarà anche stato illegale ma io dico che con tutti gli investimenti che ci sono in ferrari e non solo é impensabile non aver colmato il gap con la mercedes per cui é anche abbastanza probabile che la mercedes illegale lo sia da anni, solo che lo riescono a fare con qualcosa che ancora sfugge ai controlli.

furoni and ingegnere like this.
  13. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    [QUOTE = "freshmeat, post: 147314446, member: 108710"] They can't figure anything out ... took them an entire season to allegedly just figure out tires lol, which still looks like they haven't completely figured out. .. [/ QUOTE]
    I am pretty sure it's grosjean that can't figure brakes out...he struggled with Lotus as well, couldn't understand the brakes since 2014.

moretti, jgonzalesm6 and DF1 like this.
  14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Surprisingly good race in the end, considered turning off when verstappen retired as not much seemed to happen and it would be a Louise show again.

Shame for Vettel...Saw the opportunity, committed to the line but as soon as he committed Sainz changed his mind (as he was entitled to do) and that was that.

Leclerc's late braking was absolutely fantastic, what a move! Well earned 2nd place.

So very happy for Norris, that overtake on Perez and subsequent fastest lap to secure 3rd, very very happy for him.

The BLM cars where cruising, way too fast.

Louise proving he's a sore loser and struggles with wheel to wheel racing still. So sad for Albon. I think he actually had a chance to WIN the race..given how easily he passed Lewis, a win was certainly possible!

Shame for Max too, with his alternative strategy, if his car stayed together he could've won, too.

Very, very different. Max was ahead of Leclerc on the inside, and it was front wheel on front wheel contact. Albon was ahead of lewis, round the outside, and Lewis hit Albon with his front wheel on Albon's rear wheel. How the two compare is beyond me. I'm surprised elton got away with just a 5 sec penalty.

stavura, jgonzalesm6 and ingegnere like this.
  15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Now the joker is blaming the car for spinning out. Yeah, it's the car, not you Vettel. :rolleyes:

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I was feeling a bit sympathetic when the press incorrectly claimed Vettel 'rejected' a lower amount 1-year contract from Ferrari. Today's performance though shows why/how he has fallen so far. He is done, the mojo has left the building.

To literally spin out by his own mistake from Carlos Sainz is poetic irony.

Attached Files:

ingegnere, jgonzalesm6 and DF1 like this.
  17. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Remind me again how many championships he brought us? While you're at it how many teams are tripping over themselves to hire him? There's never been a more destructive personality that I can ever remember in F1. Causes chaos wherever he goes and throws his rattle out of the crib anytime things don't go his way.

This is him:

18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Very talented but destructive within a team. Him being responsible for Aldo Costa leaving has proven extremely costly for Ferrari. Ferrari of course is also largely to blame for their own misfortune, they continue to believe in simply hiring drivers will sort out whatever ails them (currently Chassis, aero, and engine!). Ferrari's constant restructuring and ensuring ''everything stays italian'' continues to amaze me. It takes years to build up a team in current format. Ferrari just never gives it time. I think we're very far away from Ferrari's next title.

Agent Smith, moretti and DF1 like this.
  19. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    #319 ingegnere, Jul 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    This is all I can find on the subject. Doesn’t seem like it was agreed or implemented. Good for Ferrari IF they have ideas to improve performance.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/148891/engine-development-freeze-could-be-introduced/amp/

20. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    how any team would agree to yet another engine freeze, is beyond me. Gaps between engines is still way to big.

Mercedes still best package, Honda still not there in qualifying, a bit down in race. Renault seems to have a lot of power but only for 2 laps. Ferrari been neutered and clearly lacking power in every circumstance.

Unless mercedes insisted again, and it has been pushed through...ensuring their next few titles.

21. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Fernando Alonso brought far more points to Ferrari than they ever deserved with the machinery they provided to him. Your argument about his personality and politics is a straw man that has absolutely nothing to do with his ability to drive.

lagunacc and JJ like this.
  22. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    ingegnere likes this.
  23. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Yep, it looks that way from Mercedes perspective due to the freeze.

Bas likes this.
  24. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Over the extended break Vettel worked very hard on his hand/eye coordination he even got himself a chopper licence ...he was seen leaving the track early on Monday morning in his new toy on the way back home ..

Image Unavailable, Please Login

lagunacc, paulchua, subirg and 5 others like this.
  25. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Agree about FA’s negative influence—see also at McLaren rounds 1 and 2–and how costly losing Costa was. But you can’t fault a team for always trying to get the best driver they can. I’m pretty sure they don’t expect the driver to fix car issues, except maybe having the reference point of a top driver they can identify performance gaps.

As for trying to keep the team as Italian as possible—and I don’t believe it is looking at the roster—this is not a nationalistic thing but just lessons learned over the years of recruiting the star foreign designer who gets homesick after a couple of years and hightails it back home - see Allison, etc., etc. Even Costa returned to Italy. Better to develop home-grown talent that will most probably remain at home long term.

Also, in this age of inclusion and breaking down prejudices, I don’t understand how people can keep making comments like “too Italian” with impunity.