FORMULA 1 PIRELLI GRAND PRIX DE FRANCE 2019: RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄ | Page 14 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 PIRELLI GRAND PRIX DE FRANCE 2019: RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Jun 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Drivers again receive what they ask for — https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/144355/masi-doesnt-understand-perez-penalty-angst

Formula 1 race director Michael Masi says he does not understand why Sergio Perez was so upset at his French Grand Prix penalty.

Racing Point's Perez was handed a five-second penalty at Paul Ricard for gaining places after cutting across the run-off areas at Turns 3 and 4 on the opening lap, and Perez said he was baffled by the decision.

Perez had followed the procedure by going around the track limits bollard, but the FIA penalised the driver for gaining an advantage by rejoining ahead of cars that had been in front of him at corner entry.

In race notes sent to teams before the race, Masi made it clear drivers could only rejoin the track when it was safe to do so and without a lasting advantage.

Asked by Autosport after the race about Perez's situation, Masi revealed drivers had asked the FIA to punish those who gained places in a similar fashion to Perez's Turns 3 and 4 conduct.

"The overriding point is that when someone rejoins, they must first rejoin safely and must not gain a lasting advantage," said Masi.

"In looking at the in-car [footage] particularly, when you look at Lance Stroll's - who was immediately behind him - Sergio's locked up, chosen to go to the left and bypass the bollard and has come out in front of [Alex] Albon and [Kevin] Magnussen.

"That was part of a discussion that was actually had following Monaco at a drivers' meeting, where the drivers requested that they need to be behind effectively [the order of] who they entered [the corner previously]."

Masi clarified that no instruction had been given to Perez to give the positions back. This was because drivers had requested that, in the event of gaining positions, they should only be advised of problems that happen at the very first corner.

william likes this.
  2. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    They [FIA] could have / should have told the team to give the places back immediately after the incident, that would have pissed off Perez and he would have fought like hell to regain the spot albeit illegally gained. Bit of a cop out to blame the drivers at a meeting, when do they [FIA] ever listen to anyone!!

Send out the right message from the outset & everyone and the driver can do something about it,....... on the track, it could spice up the show as well.

Furthermore, what a awful track. I have been to Paul Ricard in the 80's and it didn't look like that. Did they get a job lot of paint!!

daytona355 and william like this.
  3. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Hideous. After Montreal, FIA decided to drop the facade and will now buy these in bulk for additional savings. ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

tifosi12, daytona355, Bas and 2 others like this.
  4. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

tifosi12, Isobel, Bas and 1 other person like this.
  5. DF1

Just ask Kimi - they all know what they are doing lol. Appears they do not but prefer less communication than more. The FIA is not at fault it appears for Perez penalty. He was

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Those comics where fantastic. I had a whole stack when I was little.

SimCity3 likes this.
  7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    They give a false idea of what motor racing is, and some people expect to see the same in reality.

8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    stavura, SimCity3, jcurry and 4 others like this.
  9. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Didn't say he wasn't at fault, but instead of dishing out a penalty, why not just tell the team he must give up the advantage gained. I doubt it was a deliberate cheat to gain the place more like he ran out of space on the track. That way he reverts back to where he was and continue racing.

Penalties imo are for those that "deliberately" cheat, not for those that find themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Best

Tony

william and daytona355 like this.
  10. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    That only works if you drive a Mercedes mate, come on, get with the programme! Every car except a Mercedes is strictly forbidden from gaining places during a race, he’s lucky they didn’t machine gun him for his insolence!

Please note that the views expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect nor imply that they are those of FChat or its affiliates. They are personal reflections only

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

classic308 and TonyL like this.
  11. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    :):):)

Must be all the rain last night, its waterlogged my brain...........but the merc is in front so no place to gain but I get the scarcasm!!!

william and daytona355 like this.
  12. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I liked the interview Billy Monger did with Seb Vettel, [UK Channel 4) it was a refreshing change to hear him talk in a methodical and sensible way. The grrrrr at Hamilton as he walked by made me chuckle.

Question to UK viewers of C4..............why did Coulthard walk away from the interview mid sentence........did he desperately need a pee, he seemed overwhelmed by something - just curious!!!

daytona355 likes this.
  13. DF1

That mess is between the team, driver and Stewards. They made an agreement with the drivers. He lost based on that. The Stewards account is concise. No one is asking for a review either and his own teams evidence confirms it all from Strolls car. Case closed it appears.

14. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    Isobel, stavura, ktu and 3 others like this.
  15. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    and it shouldn't get escalated beyond a call between both parties - highlighting the fact on the TV screen its under investigation, is just overplaying the incident In a phoney attempt to improve the show. .

daytona355 likes this.
  16. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Big Michel Vaillant fan here. Read all the comics when I was a kid. Read them again in French now.

And in case anybody ever played the Paris track from Michel Vaillant on the PC. Yup, I had my hand in that too. :)

SimCity3 likes this.
  17. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Best way to watch the French GP: From a distance and while leaving...

daytona355, WilyB and Isobel like this.
  18. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Or through a flute of Bandol's finest :)

WilyB likes this.
  19. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

F1 has been more exciting. The current rules and regs are crap.

daytona355 and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.