FORMULA 1 PIRELLI BRITISH GRAND PRIX-->PRACTICE 1/2/3 ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄ | Page 3 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 PIRELLI BRITISH GRAND PRIX-->PRACTICE 1/2/3 ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Jul 31, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
  2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Looks like his career is done for anyhow: If Vettel gets his seat and he has to go a back marker team, his days are over.

A while ago I started a thread where I wondered how Covid might influence the WDC. Not that Perez was going for that, but this might have been a career plateauing or ending move.

Now imagine Hamilton vs Bottas, 20 points apart with three races to go and one of them catches Covid. Are they really not allowing that driver to finish the season in the car?

In a way it reminds me of 1982 where not the best driver got the title but the one who preserved his health.

3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Seb is not an improvement. Take a look at his results at Ferrari. No confirmation he is an improvement. He will just replace another driver, who frankly appear less mistake prone for far less funding LOL!

Nembo1777 and william like this.
  4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I did not say Seb is an improvement. He is yesterday's news and should retire.

F2003-GA and william like this.
  5. DF1

I was not accusing you of such. Seb is just a nice name............element of prestige for a Billionaire wiling to pay for more of the same.

william likes this.
  6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I was thinking that if Sergio has to look for another seat for next year, that escapade will not look good on his CV.
    I like Perez, but I don't buy his excuse; to me, that looks like a lack of focus in a year where his team is doing better.
    There are many ways to communicate to a sick Mum without travelling across the ocean in the middle of a pandemic.

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I would agree. My speculation is that he was told in Spielberg, that his seat is gone for next year and that's why his performance that weekend was lack lustre. And then he probably thought what the hell, and flew to Mexico.

With the current schedule of back to back races he will miss a ton of races. As I said, career plateauing move at best. Probably downhill from here.

william likes this.
  8. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Three weeks until the Indy 500. I'm more stoked about that than the current state of affairs in F1. At least the winner is not a forgone conclusion.

Whither Alonso? If he's all in for F1 next season, he won't be taking off races for the Indy Cinquecento. This could be his last go at it.

375+, mdrums and Nembo1777 like this.
  9. DF1

I think he flew to be with his mother, given her accident recently. He had the time and ability. I dont think it was about his contract yet.

10. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Right. If he brings sponsor money to Alfa or HAAS, he'll have a seat next year.

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    As I said, career limiting move: From RP to Alfa or HAAS is quite a decline. He might even be better off using that sponsor money with Williams than with Alfa.

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    While I do recall teams saying Checo was not as professional as he should be in junior formulae going to visit your mother after a bad accident is the most valid reason to travel, though he must have had a special permit considering Mexico's very poor Covid situation and strict EU rules...but then he dropped the ball, mixed with fans... costly.

DF1 likes this.
  13. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/150962/ferrari-struggling-massively-with-radical-setup

Ferrari was "struggling massively" over its race runs during practice for the Formula 1 British Grand Prix after taking a "radical approach" with its downforce level, according to Charles Leclerc.

Ferrari has made a difficult start to the 2020 Formula 1 season after a lack of performance with its SF1000 car, leaving it fifth in the constructors' standings.

Leclerc said on Thursday that Ferrari was braced for "two difficult weekends" at Silverstone, but managed to finish fourth in second practice for the British Grand Prix on Friday.

While Leclerc was happy with his qualifying pace through practice, he explained that Ferrari was struggling over the long runs after taking a radical approach to the downforce levels it used on the car.

"The race pace we have been struggling massively, so we definitely need to work on that," Leclerc said.

"The qualy pace is a bit better than what we expected to be honest. This is good.

"We've taken quite a radical approach with our downforce level, so it seems to pay off in qualy, but it doesn't in the race, so we need to analyse the data, and see what we'll have to do tomorrow.

14. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/150961/hamilton-explains-difficult-day-after-balance-woes

Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton says that windy conditions at Silverstone made for a "difficult day" of Formula 1 practice running on Friday ahead of the British Grand Prix.

Hamilton enters this weekend's race at Silverstone chasing a seventh victory at his home grand prix, having moved into the lead of the drivers' championship with a dominant win in Hungary two weeks ago.

But Hamilton could only finish the day fifth-fastest after a truncated FP2 session that featured a number of drivers lose their low-fuel runs to a red flag caused by Alexander Albon.

Hamilton had trailed Red Bull's Max Verstappen in the opening practice session, and explained at the end of the day he had found it difficult to get fully comfortable with his Mercedes W11 car.

"[It was] quite a difficult day to be honest," Hamilton said.

"It's always windy here, which is actually a good thing about this track, you've got some wind in different directions, but it's made it really tricky today with the car.

"The balance is not good as I'd like, so we're just going to work on it tonight and try and see if we can figure it out.

"It's not a disaster, but definitely been a hard day of driving."

Hamilton abandoned his second run on the soft compound tyre in FP2 after an error, and ended the session three-tenths of a second being pace-setting Lance Stroll's Racing Point.

"We went back out and I think the tyres weren't as good as the first one," Hamilton explained.

"We'll work through it - we've got great engineers.

15. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    P

Possibly looking to see if there is a brick stuck behind the accelerator pedal!!!

stavura, jgonzalesm6 and DF1 like this.
  16. Top speed

Top speed Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joonas
    Asked how hard the race would be judging by Ferrari's Friday form, Leclerc replied: "The balance was extremely hard to drive and very, very difficult not to do a mistake.

"We definitely need to change something on that. Otherwise doing that many laps during the race with this balance will be a huge challenge."

Ferrari probably tried almost zero downforce setup, no wonder the race pace was awful and quali pace better. Truly a masterpiece of a car, when the driver wonders if he'll be even able to go the race distance without driving off the track.

17. DF1

Searching for a cure............they are.

18. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    New chassis for Ricciardo tomorrow.

They found a crack in his chassis.

DF1 and 375+ like this.
  19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Guess what lil lewis, the wind is the same for everyone. Prat.

stavura, ypsilon and ingegnere like this.
  20. DF1

Oh where is my race-craft - here? :)

ingegnere likes this.
  21. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
  22. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Sounds like the “Hail Mary pass” plan. Kind of like the Soft tire “gamble” at Budapest.

I understand they’re down on power this year but sounds like they’ve gone backwards in every other metric too - handling, grip, aero efficiency... I really hope it’s because they gave up on this car and the update due in Spain will be a full-up B-spec they’ve been working on since February.

23. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    They tried running with very minimal aero load because of the low power

24. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Has Frankenstein said the deck is stacked against them and that Mercedes is going to have to work hard to win yet?

ingegnere likes this.
  25. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    "it vill be a real challenge zis veek...ve have to beat our own car, which is a real struggle ja''

ingegnere and Nembo1777 like this.