FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DU CANADA 2014 RACE **SPOILERS*** | Page 35 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DU CANADA 2014 RACE **SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Jun 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Amazing, huh!

Pretty much the same people who claimed Michael was a tosser in the Merc too..... ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

2. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Excluding dnfs nico has 1 win to Lewis's 4.

Yup...as fast as lewis (lol). How can this point even be in contention when the evidence clearly suggests otherwise.

The claim Hamilton caused his own brakes to fail is equally as rediculous. He had the turbulent air from nicos car to contend with and is brakes were far hotter. If one is to say he drove too hard and caused his brakes to fail and should've hung back then one must also accept the proposition that nico drove too hard as his brakes were so perilously close to failure that he had to switch to a front brake bias. Thus one cannot use that fact in support of nico being the smarter driver given they both did the EXACT SAME THING. Different being nico had the benefit of a cooler car and also the benefit of hindsight because he got a chance to reprieve himself once lewis car failed first. It was only at this point that he changed his settings.

In short: nico is slower than lewis. Nico has more luck than lewis. That's it.

3. Sellnit

Sellnit Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2010
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    James
    Keep in mind gents that Michael did take pole at Monaco in 2012 only to have the grid penalty push him back 10 spots. I think this fact gets lost that he was the fastest at least once in his 40's.

4. Sellnit

Sellnit Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2010
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    James
    Yes, that is what Alonso would have done in that position.

Still this is unfair to Lewham, if the roles were reversed it would have been Nico's brakes to go off first due to the lack of cooling from turbulent air. In the end Ham should've pushed less, but is that racing? We watch and pay to be there to watch these guys push, Lewis did, and now we criticize him? SMH

5. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Really? Who got pole at Canada?

I think you mean SOMETIMES Lewis is faster than Nico

6. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    No I mean MOST OF THE TIME/MORE OFTEN THAN NOT and the stats back me up.

Look at everything: free practice, qualy and race. Lewis is faster the majority of the time. Not just some of the time. This is indisputable fact.

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Forget arguing with facts on here.

8. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Ok. ... Most of the time. Thanks for agreeing with me. He's not "faster", which is what you suggested.

9. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Actually, when he finally agrees with me there's nothing to argue. The point is, it's close

10. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Here's the bottom line... Which works for me... Lewis is the faster, superior driver. Why? Because Nico just seems like a di@k. Half the time I just want to jump through the tv and slap the ****ing smirk off his face.

11. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I think by that logic, it can be concluded LH caused his brakes to fail because he continued to drive in dirty air, etc. HOWEVER, his brakes failed due to a faulty MGU-h system forcing the car to become more reliant on the brakes to provide the missing regenerative power. Nico's car did suffer the same problem, but the team was able to save him from a dnf by altering his brake bias after the rear-biased Hamilton car lost its brakes.

The cars failed. LH drove with the intent to win, not knowing the "mysterious power loss" would create a domino effect on his car causing it to dnf for an entirely different reason.

12. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Unfair?

He made a bad choice and paid for it.

If?

There's no way of knowing what if.

I'm not saying Nico is faster than Lewis nor vice versa.

13. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Very intellectual point of view.

14. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Toto expressed concerns about the MB's brakes/ERS before the race. The only reason that Nico's didn't fail as catastrophically as Lewis' did is that he was running less rear bias from the start.

15. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    This is where the intelligent people post .... imagine what that Aussie section must be like with all those idiots :D

16. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    You don't have to tell me!

17. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    #867 toil, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    Yes I remember hearing that but chose to leave out of my post as I didn't see it as relevant. The reasoning is twofold. Firstly, I do not believe this impacts on driver intelligence in the slightest; it merely illustrates their difference preferences in driving style. Whilst the track was hot Lewis would have been fine but for the ers failure putting higher stress on the brakes. One cannot expect a driver to set up is car posited on the assumption that something will fail. No driver ever would. Moreover, do I need to remind anyone just how long these new regulations have been in place with the much smaller brakes? No one even knew for sure that the brakes wouldn't cope. Secondly, the difference in brake bias was far too minimal to cause failure. The fact that nicos brakes also started to fail when he had a more front bias and wasn't in turbulent air really demonstrates this point. Lewis's failed slightly before nicos and the turbulent air was probably the much more likely cause of failure. That would bring far more heat into the brakes than a slight rear brake bias. Again none of this would have been at issue if ers didn't fail. Note that to correct the problem nico had such a front brake bias that he was locking up very often.

Therefore claims to nicos superiority rest on the very tenuous and almost laughable claim that Lewis can be criticised for following nico too close (basically being a faster driver). This is palpable nonesense.

I would even venture to suggest that if nico hadn't cut the chicane he would've promptly been passed by Lewis (next lap or so. Lewis was already in drs zone and the lock up would've had lewis a mere few hundredths behind) Note how quickly he got the gap down to half a second once in drs zone . Nico got out of drs after cutting the chicane and never gave those sixth tenths back . He remained out of drs the following laps because he didn't slow down.
    Has to cheat to win .

With regard to the semantics posted above by aircon: I said nico is slower. That is a fact. You took that to mean that Lewis is always faster and I clarified that was not the case. Lewis does not have to be faster all the time for the general proposition that Lewis is faster to be factually correct. The proposition still stands. Not that any of this matters but since nico fans really have to nitpick to win an argument...it is what it is...

18. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter

What's your background? You sound like you really know what you're talking about.

19. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Not sure if being facetious or not. But I have no background in engineering whatsoever if that's what you mean. Just talking out of my arse to try and prove my point

20. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I'm surprised. :)

21. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

Going into the race they already knew that their brakes where going to be a problem. The fact that his brakes where overheating quicker is quite simple, he was following Rosberg for a while. Right behind an F1 = hotter air. This is common knowledge to us, and I'm sure the teams too. I have no doubt that the team told Hamilton his brakes where hotter than Nico's.

The touch didn't help but seems mostly ignored.

22. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    LOL

:D

23. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Spot on

Yes excellent totally agree :D

Cheers Ian, all good stuff.

+1
    Yes that just about sums it up.., if Lewis had hung back and settled for 2nd....I can it hear it now...:eek::

BTW I think Fred would have had team orders implemented.

24. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Nico was told to save fuel, he went faster, Nico was asking on the radio before the brakes failed what settings Lewis had, why is that.

25. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

You are far too generous lol!