FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DU CANADA 2011: RACE *** SPOILERS *** | Page 39 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DU CANADA 2011: RACE *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Jun 12, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Is your purse large enough to hold a completed race track?

2. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    My respect for all the true fans who stuck it out in the wet and cold.

3. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

For some reason, memories of the mud at Silverstone return.......

Cheers,
    Ian

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I stuck it out until after 3pm. I wasn't cold, but wet, which didn't bother me much because the air temp was warm enough so you didn't really feel it (when I was back in the hotel I noticed how totally soaked all my clothes were).

But what made me ultimately give up during the red phase was

a) the silly SC, which came out way too often and it was clear that they would never race again under really wet conditions

b) my camera fogged up and was rained on: I can accept the loss of the equipment, but when I can no longer take pics because the lens is covered with water and all my clothes to dry it up are also wet, then it is hopeless

The thing that really ticked me off was the insane use of the SC and ultimately the red flag: If as a fan I have to endure rain, I'm ok with that if I get to see some action as "payback". But if they prevent all that from happening by constantly deploying the SC then it is just cruel punishment on the fans.

They had two 458 crash out in the hairpin in the supporting race because of rain. Those guys didn't get a SC. Nor should the F1 guys have.

5. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    You're excused and had my respect to begin with ;)

6. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #956 RP, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
    I can not remember how many races I had to stand in the rain as a photographer, because that was my job. By far, even in July, the coldest I do recall was one of the 6 hour FIA races at the Glen. I showed up in shorts, got out of the car, and nearly froze. Luckily, I had not cleaned out the car since February, had a winter coat with me.

So winter coat, shorts, I walked into the garage area, specifically Cevert's garage with Matra/Simca. He took one look at me and started laughing. I quickly realized I looked like a flasher. From that, he remembered me when I approched him at his last grand prix at the Glen in October. My worst day in racing.

I have been in the grandstands at the Daytona 500 wearing a ski parka, silk long johns, and gloves and still freezing. I shoed up for a USPG at the Glen, there was snow on the ground for Friday practice.

I lost 25 new TVs at the inaugural Miami GP, which was called after 27 laps. Bummer yes, but that is road racing.

So a true race fan comes prepared, and ignores the weather. All that matters is the race. No sympathy for those at Mosport, they got their money's worth with a good race despite the red flag. Before any race, I check the weather reports, and after my Glen experience, I bring the correct equipment/clothing. $1 rain ponchos are available at any of the nationwide $1 stores.

As for the SC, the FIA made the correct call. At least according to the drivers. F1 cars aquaplane quite easily compared to heavier cars. At the end, the fans with patience got a good race. I have waited for 6 hours for a NASCAR race to resume because of rain, and would never complain.

Once again, no sympathy for the unprepared.

7. Alexweav79

Alexweav79 Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2009
    Owensville, MO
    Full Name:
    Alex Weaver

Well guys, just got in from my motorcycle ride back from montreal. The race was well worth the 2,558.8 miles on a modern sportbike(glad I'm young). I will try to post some pics soon...

I could only carry so much and the only rain(or coldgear) I had was my motorcycle wet suit(glad I brought it). Kept me decently dry, but it's only wind resistant, not cold resistant. I froze my a$$ off. But as soon as the race went green, the cold and wetness was gone. What a race.

I was very dissapointed to see they didn't start the race normally, these guys need to grow up. At the very start of the race, it was not raining near hard enough to start behind the safety car. I bought a ticket on the front straight(row AA) between rows 2 & 3 on the grid to see the start, so I was a bit mad.

I don't want to be one of these guys that says MS is back after one race, but it was the first time since his come back(and in equalizing conditions) he was fast. Obviously, once on slicks, the car showed it's weakness.

I think it's the first time we've seen Vettel make a mistake under pressure. And he is the most lucky guy on the planet with the SC and his pit stops. Congrats to Button, as he drove a fantastic race.

Ferrari, after qualifying 2nd and 3rd, I was feeling good. But that's what a rain race will do! Bring on the sprinklers!!

I can't wait to watch on the DVR!!

BTW, it was my 2nd time in montreal, and it is a beautiful city with a beautiful track. The people are so nice and I'm 2/2 on great experiences in montreal.

Alex

8. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
  9. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #959 Aircon, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Respect!

How was was weather on the ride? Hopefully better than Sunday :eek:

Glad you enjoyed it.

Cheers,
    Ian

11. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Or.

I can't watch.

12. Alexweav79

Alexweav79 Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2009
    Owensville, MO
    Full Name:
    Alex Weaver

Thanks! I got caught in the rain for about an hour sunday night, and woke up to 4 more hours of rain monday morning, but monday afternoon and all day tuesday, the weather was beautiful.

It was an experience, that's for sure.

Alex

13. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Agreed 100%. These guys get paid mega bucks and they can get out there and drive. Following around a safety car is not racing and is a farce.