FORMULA 1 DHL TURKISH GRAND PRIX 2020 - ISTANBUL.......Qualifying ▄▀▄▀ Spoilers ▀▄▀▄ | Page 7 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 DHL TURKISH GRAND PRIX 2020 - ISTANBUL.......Qualifying ▄▀▄▀ Spoilers ▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Nov 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Today's lack of performance from Bottas and Hamilton was due to insufficient heat in the tyres.
    This reflects more a wrong set-up by Mercedes, than a lack of skill from the drivers.
    **** happens sometime, and they may have learnt from it for tomorrow.

2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

U cant have it both ways though,drivers are also responsible for their setup. Senna was known to be a master at this, if u are saying Hamilton doesn’t do his set up and merc does it for him then really he is « just » an amazing driver but not the total package. I’m sure ud disagree on that. Like u said **** happens and I still expect him to win or compete for the win tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bas likes this.
  3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Mighty entertaining session. I hereby order all tracks to resemble ice skating rinks!

+1

He got stuck behind Kimi after a reactionary call to what Perez did. Max had to pass Kimi but due to intermediates, couldn't go off the racing line to do this...thus relegating him to go at the pace Kimi set. This didn't get enough temp in the tyres and meant he couldn't do much in the one lap he had. I was in awe watching max drive. Lap after lap multiple seconds quicker than the next...God like performance. Truly special.

Congrats to Stroll on his first pole.

RobertJRB likes this.
  4. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    How quickly they forget! Remember wet qualifying earlier this season at the Styrian Grand Prix (Austria)? LH put on a clinic and had the field comprehensively covered in those conditions (i.e. unlike today, his tires had actually switched on back then). More than one second faster than 2nd place Max that day.

The combination of rain, cold temps and a newly-repaved surface (with resin oozing out of it) proved to be too much of a conundrum for Mercedes-AMG to overcome. Unlike that day during qualifying at the Styrian Grand Prix when it was about the driver, today it far more about the car (setup).

ktu, jgonzalesm6 and william like this.
  5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Comparing a driver today with one who last raced 26 years ago in completely different circumstances is like comparing apples and pears.
    I leave you to it.

6. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Senna's era, the drivers knew more than the engineers.

Lewis era, the engineers know way more than the drivers due to all the GIGABYTES of technical data.

Toto mentioned that the cars could'nt get heat into the tires hence there lack luster performance in the rain.

It's also possible, since the Merc's have the longest wheelbase on the grid, that rainy situations don't suit the Mercedes platform at this track. It's not all about engine performance when the track is wet or it's raining.

ricksb and william like this.
  7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

But then some armchair critic will tell you he is not "the total package" . :rolleyes::rolleyes:

8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    lol what.

o_O

9. Natkingcolebasket69

#159 Natkingcolebasket69, Nov 14, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    Too easy man lol
    U and KTU are always comparing and instigating how great he is compared to everyone. Weak!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Picchu88, stavura and Bas like this.
  10. Natkingcolebasket69

#160 Natkingcolebasket69, Nov 14, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    Armchair critic didn’t tell u this. What I’m telling u is that u are a narrows minded person that only sees things that arrange/ are convenient to him and blinded.
    U just said the setup cost him a good time today but then in
    Austria , it’s not the set upit’s all him.
    Armchair critic happens to be a former pro basketball player who knows more about sports than
    A guy who thinks any driver that ever came from Britain is great.

11. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee

Isobel likes this.
  12. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    you're not suggesting being a former basketball player means you know better when it comes to autoracing, are you?

it's always a mix of driver and team. both have to do a good job and usually at Mercedes they do. This performance? well, maybe it's just something about this combination of track and weather that doesn't work with the Mercedes design. Have they ever won at this track?

if the weather persists I wouldn't be surprised to see Verstappen take himself and Stroll out in the first turn

william likes this.
  13. Natkingcolebasket69

No but I know better about being a poor sportsman like this guy. U got learn how to take a L. His guy didn’t do well it happens; don’t go blame the engineers in a tough time and take all the glory for Austria. Be consistent that’s it.
    I still expect Hamilton to be good tomorrow and be world champion.

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

LOL

15. Natkingcolebasket69

16. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Such nonsense. Hamilton is incredible in the wet, the only current driver at the same level is Verstappen. Hamilton has demonstrated that over and over and over, for example Silverstone 2008.

Going back - Schumacher was great, also great at changing conditions - but some of his rainmeister reputation actually belongs to Ross Brawn, in that if wet conditions were possible for a race, Brawn would have the T car set up for wet conditions (for Schumacher, of course, since he always had priority and first dibs on the spare car), and they would make a call just before race start whether to use the primary or spare car. On more than one occasion, one of Schumacher's "legendary" wet race victories was down to him driving a car with the wet setup against everyone else on a dry setup!

Senna was a more naturally talented driver who could transcend during a wet race - but before anyone trots out Donington 1993, where Senna passed 6 cars on just the opening lap (including Schumacher) and went on to a dominating win, Senna himself didn't consider it a great wet race victory because those cars had traction control and ABS. All the same, he still dominated in his era, including over Schumacher in wet races.

Before Senna, and arguably greatest of all, was Gilles Villeneuve. His car control was unmatched. During the 1979 United States GP, Friday practice was drowned, it was raining so hard only 6 drivers set lap times at all. Villeneuve was out putting in laps for fun! Jody Scheckter, 2 races after sealing the WDC, and in the same car as Villeneuve, was convinced he'd got the absolute maximum out of the Ferrari, and said he'd scared himself rigid doing it... but Villeneuve went out a bit later, when it was raining even harder, and set a lap time 11 seconds quicker!! Scheckter couldn't believe it, Jacques Lafitte was giggling watching Villeneuve drive and said 'Why do we bother? He's different from the rest of us. On a separate level'

Nigel Roebuck wrote ""Gilles was the one bloke who made you go and look for a corner in a practice session, because you knew that where everybody else would go through it as if on rails, Gilles would be worth watching. That day in the rain at Watkins Glen was almost beyond belief. It truly was.

"You would think he had 300 horsepower more than anybody else. It just didn't seem possible. The speed he was travelling at didn't bear any relation to anybody else."

So yeah, Senna was the quickest of his era in the wet. Schumacher, likewise. Neither compared to Gilles Villeneuve. And Hamilton is undisputedly the quickest of his era in the wet. To pretend otherwise is just ignoring the actual data, facts, and results, for whatever biased reason you might have.

17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Why is this still the forum narative?

18. Natkingcolebasket69

No non sense - The point being made is that William
    Conveniently along with KTU put all the greatness on Hamilton when things are well and here it’s all the car. Total bias. Period
    As far as senna , talent had nothing to do with it. I suggest u watch documentary and his sister saying how hard he worked to be good in the wet. He’d take his kart over and over again when wet to improve because naturally he sucked.
    I have never said Hamilton wasn’t great , quite the opposite but the like of William make it hard. I mean the man is even out here saying Damon
    Hill was great so...

Ur guy was bad today period, there is always tomorrow.
    So you should re-read what I said, u are making stuff up along the way! I never typed Hamilton wasn’t great in the wet, like ever. So calm down. He is no senna in the wet that’s for sure, or gilles.

The bias here is William. Period end of the story.
    I understand how a tifosi like Sid got banned with guys like that

U can’t be out here always posting how great ham is all the time and when convenient...that’s utter bs...

And then he and ktu are ad nauseam posting interviews and teammate saying he is the goat which implies comparing era but then when u tell William senna wasn’t outqualified 5 seconds in a wet William says can’t compare era.

SMH! That’s exactly what I said, nothing about ur tirade, I know the stats, never disputed them.

stavura and Bas like this.
  19. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Guys . . . please. Why does almost every thread have to revolve around Hamilton?

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  20. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    IMO that's why Hamilton has such a divided fanbase. There seems no in-between, you either love or hate the guy.

Ignoring his dressing up and questionable singing for a moment, IMO it's his comments when he's racing and after is why he's disliked by so many. His real personality comes out the moment the wind is only ever so slightly against it. I can ignore it if it happens once or twice but it's every single time. Throwing the team under the bus, the same team that's provided him with a car guaranteed to win titles 8 years in a row, is just such poor sportsmanship. Many people see this trait of him, and when we still had fans at tracks, the same speech when he's given the microphone every weekend ''this is the best track, these are the best fans etc'' people see he's a fake personality.

That's why people start nit picking/making fun off his dressing up, singing exploits and all the rest of him. They don't dislike him for that reason, but it's something they poke fun at.

Then you have the crowd that defends Ham and whenever someone disagrees with the ''lewis is a GOAT'' narrative they must be a hater/racist who thinks Lewis can't drive, this hits people the wrong way (especially being accused of racism!), further polarizing the 2 groups.

21. Natkingcolebasket69

Exactly.
    For me it’s not about Ham here. Could care less, the guy didn’t say or do anything wrong.
    It’s the lack of sportsmanship.
    Anyways it’s okay. Let’s see tomorrow, whoever wins let’s hope for something interesting, maybe raikonnen gets a podium?

Bas likes this.
  22. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I didn't like that aspect of Hamilton during the early years... which lasted quite a few years. ;) But, in the last 3-4 years I've seen that change - it's very rare now for him to throw the team under the bus, beyond questioning a tire decision during a race now and then (but then they all do that, Verstappen for example). In the last few years Hamilton has been much more of a genuine team player, acknowledging and taking the blame when he's screwed up, and very rarely outright blaming the team any more. He really has grown up... finally!

william, Terra, ktu and 2 others like this.
  23. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I view it different from you...ok of course it's become less the last few years, but then ''the team'' has hardly made a mistake in the time you mention now. And we can't hear the daft ''best ever fans'' speeches because...there aren't any fans.

As for Verstappen...I can't recall him throwing the team under the bus. Engine suppliers, absolutely (though I can't recall him doing the same to Honda just yet, more venting his frustration at the engine having more and more phantom issues, but not directly at the manufacturer). The Max comparisson is quite easily explained to me, Max doesn't make an effort to portray himself any different than what he shows in the car. In other words, there is no fake personality surrounding him. Whether people like that personality or not, is a different discussion...I value it quite highly. Much like Kimi, really.

24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It should be an interesting race, for sure the most interesting of the year! Rain or shine, I think Max is looking good so long that car stays together. Raikkonen podium would be a dream come true but I think the lack of performance from the Ferrari engine, 7th is the best he could hope for.

My guess is Max, Ham, any racing point.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  25. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Spot on mate, let's hope this COVID rubbish is over as well so we can do Monaco next year :)

Bas and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.