[Formula 1] Can a independent team win the WCC? | FerrariChat

[Formula 1] Can a independent team win the WCC?

Discussion in 'F1' started by ttgangsta, Mar 26, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttgangsta

ttgangsta Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    All this talk of Schumy and Brawn buying Toro Rosso has got me thinking about whether or not an independent team win the constructors championship. I know in the past teams like Williams thrived, but it seems F1 budgets have begun to soar higher and higher. I can't see how a team could win without a major auto company backing them.

Even if you put money aside, and look at teams like RBR and Spyker and STR they all buy their engines. This gives them a really powerful engine they could never produce themselves, and a bunch of development time for other things such as Aero. On top of that customer engine programs even add more to reliability because the teams can use telemetry and engine data from their customers as well. However, lets say Spyker became a top team, I can't imagine ferrari would supply them with engines the next year because they are a threat. Am I wrong? So even if an independent team developed a winning car, they would then have to allocate resources to an engine program which would hurt car development in the following years (i think).

So I'm trying to figure out how Schumy and Brawn would want to buy a team knowing they could never really compete for the WCC. I had a wild idea though, what if they bought STR and then brough VAG in. A similar type of deal as BMW Williams in the past, without all the bickering and blame on the other half of the team. Then you would have enormous VAG with brands like Porsche, Audi, Lambo, Buggatti, VW all backing this new Schumy/Brawn run team. Schumy is german and extremely analytical so the relationship with a german automaker could be successfull. Plus VAG would then have a pretty strong entry into F1, with a much better outlook then Toyota. I don't know enough about Formula 1 to know if this is the dumbest idea and it's impossible, and I'm not trying to act like i'm some genious, but could this ever work. I just feel like that team could be insane. Plus many of the people who were part of the Ferrari Dream team could be pulled to the new Brawn/Schumy team because of their longstanding relationships and Michael's ability to earn the teams respect.

Just an interesting thought, I would love to hear what you guys think about this.

2. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    An independant can win, Its name is Toyota....just give it a couple of more years...you'll see. ;)

3. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    There is only one team in F1 that is close to being independent, Williams. All the other teams are backed by auto giants, or recieve engines from other teams or recieve entire cars from other teams (Toro Rosso and SA). Currently no one other than billionaires would be able to come close to footing the bill of a successful F1 team, they need to be willing to spend around $200 million and have amazing facilities to support a winning team. Look at Toyota, they have all the resources and money and still can't win, F1 is too competive and I wouldnt be surprised that in the next 5 years only 4 constructors win races.

4. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Toyota is independent?

5. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Of course. Look at their results.

6. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I believe it was sarcasm he was going for on that one.

7. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    :)

8. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Of course they can win. Just having Schuey on the management staff is good for at least 3 seconds per lap.

9. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    3 seconds? please tell me your exaggerating also.

10. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Okay 2 seconds.

11. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    I'm still finding 2 seconds to be a stretch. I would agree on between .5 and 1 seconds though. Though if you were to MS in the car, I'm sure he could make 2-3 secs a lap.

12. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Bro, of course I'm kidding. Having Schuey on the management team is going to do little more than bring media attention to the organization. Schuey in a slow car is going to be slow - it's a slow car.