FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX...2021...RACE...... ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄ | Page 20 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX...2021...RACE...... ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Jun 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    #476 fer312t, Jun 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    Supposition (I had another word in mind ;) ) masquerading as factual "technical analysis."
    BTW - On Bottas' car the Brake magic button is on the front of the steering wheel. I have no idea where it is on Lewis.

See here, Russell deactivating the Brake warmer a bit after the 1 minute mark.
    https://streamable.com/qlqi5p

So you are saying Lewis' race engineer was lying to 'protect' him.... despite Lewis himself being curious (and willing to accept) if he had failed to disable the Brake setting? :D

https://streamable.com/gvdtbg

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Right...so he won't notice pressing buttons on the front now? It really was quite simply him forgetting to turn off the brake magic. No accidental touching of buttons. If it was that easy to do it would happen more often. They've been using this wheel since 2014!

375+ and JJ like this.
  3. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Yeah sorry dude, not what this section is about

4. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  5. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    To be fair with Pirelli, the two tyres that failed were the rear left, and those are not the ones that get the most wear. So maybe it´s true that they got some debris.

375+ likes this.
  6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #481 william, Jun 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    I didn't know it was Bieber myself until someone pointed it out at the time. I didn't even know who Bieber was, I had to ask my grand children !

It looks like Hamilton and Bieber seen together polarised the attention that day; the TV commentators never stopping mentioning them - as if I care !

Isobel likes this.
  7. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    The ignore function is great but it also makes me miss some funny comments from some people, what a hard choice to make!!!
    let's as crapilton what he thinks about using the ignore button, after all, he's the button master :)

Jakuzzi, LVP488, crinoid and 2 others like this.
  8. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

It only took 7 season's for the INEPT management at RedBull to figure this out = you cannot expect Max to do it all and win both titles. A superb day for Perez.

william likes this.
  9. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Hey Lewis, "It's a kind a magic" :p

Queen - A Kind Of Magic (2018 HD Audiophile Mix), [Super 24bit HD Remaster], HQ

william likes this.
  10. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Stand by your man. ;).

11. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
  12. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Just off the top of my head:

1986, Adelaide: Mansell on the way to a championship has his “good year shredded” *

Note that, like Baku, this was also a street circuit.

* quote from The Gaurdian article.

13. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    What is the Mercedes magic button and what does it do?

Lewis Hamilton threw away a potential Formula 1 victory at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix by accidentally pressing a "magic" button on his steering wheel. Here is what that magic brake setting actually does.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Hamilton lost the chance to fight for the win and the opportunity to regain the lead of the F1 drivers’ championship at the Baku restart after a dramatic Turn 1 lock-up.

Just moments after surging to the front for the two-lap restart triggered by Max Verstappen’s crash, Hamilton’s front tyres locked up as he hit the brakes and he skated down the escape road.

After trailing home at the back of the field, Hamilton immediately told his team that he suspected what had caused the drama: the famous Mercedes ‘brake magic’.

He said over team radio: "Did I leave the magic on? I could have sworn I turned that off."

So what is this magic setting and what exactly does it do?
    The magic button

We’ve heard it referred to over the radio on many occasions, sometimes as a ‘magic paddle’, and George Russell last year talked about needing to hit the ‘magic button’ during his one-off appearance at the Sakhir GP.

‘Brake magic’ is actually a button on the rear of the steering wheel that is a very clever tool to help drivers generate heat quickly for the front tyres.

When F1 moved to the hybrid power units in 2014, it did so knowing that the braking system would need to be overhauled too. For there needed to be more electronic assistance for brake balance, given the extra onus on energy recovery via the MGU-K.

[​IMG]

As a consequence, teams had to get used to using a brake-by-wire system (above), with separate maps created within the software to manage the front to rear brake balance, whilst also considering the prevailing level of harvesting being conducted by the MGU-K.

Whereas brake bias used to be controlled by a manual lever inside the cockpit, it’s a process that’s been shifted on to the steering wheel via control settings.

This requires the driver to select increments on dials along the bottom edge, which you’ll often see flash up on the steering wheel’s display when FOM is using the onboard shots.

The driver has a few tools at their disposal in this regard, with a rotary and two buttons used on the Mercedes wheel for brake balance, and another rotary to select the amount of engine braking.

The magic button is an override setting though, and hitting it sends the brake bias much further forward than you’d ever use under normal race conditions.

It shifts the brake balance to around 90% of the front axle, whereas typically a driver would select between 55-60% during normal use. Once in play, the magic setting also prevents MGU-K from recovering energy.

It is activated as a way of transferring more of the heat generated by the brakes into the tyres, in order that they come into their working range quicker than if a normal setting was used.

In Hamilton’s case, he opted to use the brake magic function on the formation lap before the standing restart in order to heat the front tyres.

His success in having heated up the brakes (and tyres) was obvious by the way we saw the brakes smoking so much as he waited for the grid to form up behind him.

Once in his grid slot, Hamilton will have deactivated the brake magic function via the controls on the wheel and then set about preparing for the restart.

However, during the start, as he steered away from Sergio Perez in the run to Turn 1 he accidentally hit the ‘magic’ button – engaging the brake bias override.

This moved the brake balance forward and caused him to snatch the brakes into Turn 1, before sailing past the apex into the run-off area and effectively ending his chances of scoring points.

Mercedes’ post-race investigation will look into how Hamilton was able to reactivate the magic setting, and that will potentially prompt tweaks to its steering wheel controls or software settings to ensure it cannot happen again.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/what-is-the-mercedes-magic-button-and-what-does-it-do/6544446/?__twitter_impression=true

kes7u, Picchu88, TopspeedPT and 3 others like this.
  14. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I think Leclerc gets his fair share of criticism here when he makes a mistake.

Not sure Hamilton did anything more than make a good start versus Perez’s poor one to make it look like he “went for it”. The locking up of his brakes was also not from “going for it” but from his brakes bias being wrongly set.

Definitely Max deserved the win but there will be other opportunities and good to see Merc under pressure and making mistakes like every other team that needs to “go for it”.

Picchu88, Isobel, Bas and 1 other person like this.
  15. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Perez was hampered by a hydraulic leak which is why he had a poor start, effectively turning off the engine right after he crossed the finish line as told by RedBull team radio....fyi.

Picchu88, Nortonious, stavura and 3 others like this.
  16. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

A small costly mistake any driver can make. Painful for any of them. Great drama for us!!

Jakuzzi, Nortonious, william and 2 others like this.
  17. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Also great job by Checo to judge that HAM was not going to make the corner and just let him sail past him before turning in. He could easily have been collected by HAM and taken out.

kes7u, Picchu88, Nortonious and 3 others like this.
  18. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Autosport feeding the narrative obviously.

So, after letting out the clutch, shifting up and preparing for downshifts, all the while with two hands firmly on the wheel, he “hit” the override button while making a slight steering correction? If that was the case this could be happening 15 times a lap on a regular basis.

Picchu88, Nortonious, stavura and 6 others like this.
  19. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I really prefer to stand by my woman ;)

20. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I agree it also reminds me of elementery school, some of us knew what the teacher was talking about, the other half, not really....

Bas likes this.
  21. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Just off the top of my head - It's a joke.

ingegnere likes this.
  22. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    #497 ingegnere, Jun 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  23. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I like this kid. Still has alot to mature.

stavura, 375+, DF1 and 1 other person like this.
  24. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Isobel and william like this.
  25. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    7 Years? 2019 wasn't that long ago.

Ricciardo left, something they didn't plan for. They gave the option to Gasly, who underperformed greatly. Red Bull did the only sensible thing and replaced him with Albon, who similarly underperformed. He was then replaced by Perez, who in just a few races has done more than either of his predecessors put together. This journey has taken 2 seasons, not 7 years.

In a car Gasly feels more at comfort with, and with less pressure, he's been excelling expectations.

I'm not quite sure what other path Red Bull should've taken? They had a great pairing in Ricciardo and Verstappen. Their pairing before that (ricciardo and Vettel), was successful as in they found a very quick driver that was able to excel Vettel that year. Obviously the years before where successful as they won 4 titles in a row.

Which available driver should they have hired after Ricciardo? When should they have dumped Gasly/Albon?