FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX...2021...RACE...... ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄ | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX...2021...RACE...... ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Jun 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  2. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Ferrari believe they ‘won’t have pace to win’ after surprise pole

Ferrari sporting director Laurent Mekies says the team does not believe it will be quick enough to win the Azerbaijan Grand Prix despite Charles Leclerc starting from pole position.

Mekies believes their car was quick enough for the third row of the grid, but said they took advantage of a disrupted qualifying session to claim their second pole position in a row, with Carlos Sainz Jnr fifth on the grid.
    “It was a very tricky session,” Mekies admitted. “I guess you can expect these sort of tricky sessions in street circuits like here but it really proved out to be very intense.

“Already from Q1 I think we had red flags every session, or nearly. I don’t think anybody has put in a perfect lap this afternoon. But it was important to put in good enough laps to go to the next step.

I think both Charles and Carlos had a very good pace. Probably better than what we had on Friday and Saturday. So it’s good to see that the team have progressed through the weekend to lift up our game in a track where we were not expecting to in such good conditions.

“I don’t know if [we had] the outright pace was pole, but then Charles put it on pole with quite a margin. And Carlos had the same pace so it could have gone any which way, it could have gone with both our cars up there or with both our cars probably in the third row.

“So I think it’s a good feeling to get the second pole in a row. It’s good for the team, the team is very focussed developing every race, building up every race. And it’s good to get this sort of results to to constructing what we are trying to construct.”

Although Ferrari took pole position for the previous race in Monaco, Mekies said this weekend’s success is “a surprise for us.”

“We were not expecting to fight for pole and to actually get the pole here with the long straights,” he explained. “We went for quite a low level of downforce, so very different altogether car configuration to Monaco because you run obviously very maximum downforce and we run quite low here.”

Mekies admitted Ferrari are “under no illusion that the race is different picture” to qualifying and they are likely to face significant pressure from faster rivals. “Red Bull was flying on the long run on Friday compared to us,” he said. “Lewis as well.”

“We expect a tough fight tomorrow because we believe we will not have the pace to fight for the win,” he added. “So it’s going to be a defensive race.”

https://www.racefans.net/2021/06/06/ferrari-believe-they-wont-have-pace-to-win-after-surprise-pole/

3. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Some rain drops yesterday night in Baku. It's cloudy and windy now. Lower Temps that Sat and Fri. Very low chance of rain for the GP.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

sammysaber likes this.
  4. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Here's the difference between Hamilton & Bottas' rear wings. Bottas with the twin pillar / higher downforce configuration (note the change of leading edge profile in the centre of the mainplane too) Hamilton's arrangement with less wing and a larger V cutout DRS also affected

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  6. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Any links for those that need a link?? Please provide and thank-you.

sammysaber likes this.
  7. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    If Ferrari and Ham are running low down-force setups (with high tire degradation), that might indicate an edge for Red Bull in the race.
    But Baku will likely see enough safety cars to give Ham several free pit stops.
    (Ferrari tends to suck at SC pit stops. :()

Bas and william like this.
  8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I still believe Verstappen could win that race.

9. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    It is with deep sadness that McLaren Racing announces the death of Mansour Ojjeh, shareholder of McLaren since 1984.
    Mr Ojjeh passed away peacefully this morning in Geneva, aged 68, surrounded by his family, to whom the team sends its most heartfelt condolences.

stavura, Bas and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  10. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I posted in the Mclaren thread. RIP

Jakuzzi likes this.
  11. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    1 minutes’ silence announced before the start.

jpalmito and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  12. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I have every confidence that Ferrari’s newly appointed Oxford-educated Brit strategist will do a great job.

classic308 likes this.
  13. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Thanks for that, Joe.

So they put HAM on a proper lower drag race set-up (higher speeds to attack/defend) and Bottas on a higher downforce set-up to create a better tow for HAM in Q3.

I expect Bottas will remain bogged down at the back of the mid-field.

stavura, Bas, Isobel and 2 others like this.
  14. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    yep, Lewis comments IF he wins the race "Love conquers all..........to all the children out there, your dreams are possible. Thanks to everyone for making this possible and putting in the hard work."

15. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    #19 ingegnere, Jun 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    LOL :)
    You forgot “green energy for everyone... else.” “Don’t mind my 4 houses, 15 cars, jet, jet ski antics...”

stavura, Bas, classic308 and 2 others like this.
  16. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Happy Race Day!

Go Charles!!

ypsilon likes this.
  17. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Loo loo wears a purple helmet for a reason

Ney, Bas and ingegnere like this.
  18. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Yes, I truly believe he fancies himself as royalty. He does have a G-d complex already.

Bas and absostone like this.
  19. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    What is the over/under on red flags for todays race?

Isobel likes this.
  20. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    This just confirms the amazing job Charles in quali. Whether or not the car is capable of that pace all race is one thing but the times from quali don’t lie.

Bas likes this.
  21. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Race pace is RedBull and Mercedes with reference to practice times. In clean air alone with no tow Ferrari expect to be passed by both LH and Max.