FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX...2021...QUALIFYING...... ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄ | Page 8 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX...2021...QUALIFYING...... ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Jun 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J

2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I'm not yet sold on Russell as the Second Coming. It is difficult to assess his performance while competing in an unremarkable car against an unremarkable teammate. It would be interesting to see him go head to head with someone like Stroll in identical cars.

Bas and ricksb like this.
  3. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    That didn't work too well for Ferrari, a car rubbish in corners but fast on the straights

4. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I don't "blame" him, I'm merely pointing out that he got incredibly lucky with how things went.

When there was (finally) a more level playing field in 2009, Button did not really look like WDC material.

5. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Where was the payback tow for Bottas from Hamilton?:confused:

6. Top speed

Top speed Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joonas
    Yea, I don't know what some of you guys were smoking. Ferrari absolutely had the pace for pole today. Hamilton had also a big tow from Bottas and was only a tenth slower than Lec in sector 3 and still lost by 2 tenths. And all this with Charles' having a bad 1st sector (he was 2 tenths quicker on s1 in the last lap).

Now are you seriously going to tell me that Ham's Merc that wasn't so good in corners because of setup, had 4 tenths more pace? I don't think so, atleast the Mercs were never going to touch Leclerc today.

stavura, jpalmito, Bas and 1 other person like this.
  7. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Charles Leclerc described his pole lap as being: "A bit s**t!"

Without the tow from Hamilton, do you think Leclerc would be on pole? - I'm struggling to see it!

8. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Ferrari spent the best part of 20 years + with a car that was great in a straight line, but couldn't corner for s**t.

Great at Monza - Cr*p pretty much everywhere else!

Then some German bloke turned up to drive the car, bringing a couple of Benetton guys with him, and Ferrari learned to go round corners fast too! ;)

9. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  10. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    Charles last lap S1 was 2/10 faster before the red flag. Watch his onboard pole position lap and you will see him make two big mistakes. His lap was not good. He definitely had pace to be on pole without a tow

Top speed likes this.
  11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Don't stop at Button.

You could question several other WDCs too, who were "incredibly lucky" too.

And what's the point? What do you want to prove?

12. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    No, all 3 sectors of Leclerc's pole lap were not enough for pole WITHOUT the tow from Hamilton.

I could post sector times of all drivers best laps if you want to see lLeclercs sector times.

13. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Hamilton was picking up 0.4 seconds on the Red Bull in sector 3 alone!

He's stripped off down-force for straight line speed (a tactic that has been used by others before with a generally "slow" car at this track)

Bottas was visibly running more down-force, and he was nowhere today!

Ferrari aren't far off the Red Bull's pace, but in a straight fight, as shown by all the free practice times, the Red Bull is still the faster car.

Hamilton's straight-line sprint car is going to cause Leclerc a problem tomorrow, IF (and it's a big IF!), Hamilton stays out of trouble with Mad Max!

(Best situation for Charles?: Hamilton and Mad Max have a coming together, and it doesn't go well for either of them!)

14. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Even though they were all on better laps, including Carlos, Max would probably have beaten Charles but what would HAM’s time be without his tow from Bottas?

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  15. Top speed

Top speed Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joonas
    What you should rather do is provide factual evidence how much Lec benefitted from the tow, and that is something you couldn't possibly do or anyone else here.

16. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    The tow down the straight is good from 2/10's all the way up to 6/10's on a good tow as one of the commentators(Di Resta??) said.

17. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Leclerc’s point was that he was surprised that with what he considered s**t lap he was still on pole and his second attempt was on target to be faster. He also said that the tow helped him but he felt that even without the tow he could have matched HAM’s time.

Ultimately, the top three all got clean first runs, the top two both got a tow and at the end Charles was fastest—what more is there to say?

The race tomorrow will of course be another story but qualifying is done and Charles was first.

jpalmito, CRG125, Bas and 3 others like this.
  18. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    No one is William, and no one will ever be...but Charles is pretty good and pretty special.....and i like him a lot!

ingegnere likes this.
  19. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    It was mentioned that Charles Leclerc now had more pole positions than Jenson Button, to which andrewmr posted:

As though Button's WDC automatically means he was a better race driver than Leclerc is.

The point I was making was that Button's WDC was mainly due to him being in the right car, at the right time - He wasn't necessarily the best driver that year

(As you rightly point out - There are many drivers for whom that applies to )

Charles Leclerc has rarely enjoyed the sort of car advantage that Button did, and he hasn't won a WDC (yet - Hopefully!), but he does now have more pole positions than Button, and despite Button's WDC, I'd say Leclerc is the better race driver of the two.

ricksb likes this.
  20. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Regarding that topic . . . . . . . Wait a minute . . . you can understand DiResta?

375+ and ingegnere like this.
  21. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    ...by a mile!!!

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I suspect Leclerc is better than Button, but I cannot prove it. I hope Charles will do that for me one day, as I also suspect he is WDC material.

Actually I think he is among the 3 best drivers on the grid (the others being Verstappen and Hamilton), but it's only my opinion.

Leclerc would need a car that can perform well regularly to challenge for the title, and that may be not a red car.

ricksb likes this.
  23. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    And in Monaco, 3 or 4 drivers claimed they were on for a pole lap if Leclerc hadn't hit the barrier - Woulda, coulda, shoulda!

We'll never know if Charles could have gone faster or not without a tow in the last sector - What I do know is, I don't recall him setting purple last sector times without a tow, and that say's to me that without Hamilton's tow, chances are he wouldn't be on pole for tomorrow's race.

I think (and I get the impression that Leclerc and other drivers think), that he got lucky today, and Hamilton's tow helped him out massively.

william likes this.
  24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I think you do a good job if you can "steal" a tow from a rival. Not sure Hamilton liked it !

25. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I love the fact that he wants to do everything he can to be WDC with Ferrari - Even offering to extend his contract already.

In some ways, he reminds me of Jules Bianchi - And I rated Jules highly! (I was really hoping Jules would be at Ferrari one day - Such a tragic loss! :()

stavura, Bas and crinoid like this.