FORMULA 1 ARAMCO MAGYAR NAGYDIJ 2020-->RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄ | Page 10 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 ARAMCO MAGYAR NAGYDIJ 2020-->RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Jul 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    The second I saw Leclerc put on Softs I tuned the race out...I'm no pro-strategist, but that was the dumbest sh*t I've ever seen.

When I turned the TV back on after dosing off to sleep, Seb had been lapped twice by Hamilton, there were only 4 other cars that weren't lapped and Leclerc was out of the points.

6 seasons of watching Mercedes race themselves and this will just be another one to add to that tally...and this might perhaps be the most painful of them all for us...

lagunacc and Bas like this.
  2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

Vettel once again showing he's got a very experienced head on his shoulders. Unless Ferrari will build a stormer for 2022 (they almost certainly won't), I can see Leclerc packing his bags too. Binotto is not suited to his current role, put him back where he was (read: Don't ****ing sack everyone that's not suited to a role! just move them to somewhere they do excel!). The strategists do need sacking, but have needed sacking since about 2008.

3. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I watched the replay only, I was told it was a good race. Maybe my friends meant good result (for Verstappen at least)...

I found it amazing that Crofty waxes lyrical about Mercedes car and specifically the engine...even mentioning that Ferrari's engine is definitely slower after things where not allowed...yet suddenly with the same tricks gained on Honda/Renault/Ferrari engines. He doesn't see the irony? Is there no light that goes on in that thick skull of his?

4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

And failed to use it for 2+ years when needed lol :)

Jakuzzi, ktu and DGS like this.
  5. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Who do you guys think is the most talented out of Russel, Leclerc and Lando? :)

6. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Good question! I think Leclerc, Norris, Verstappen, and Russell are all excellent, and it’s a lot like asking which is the best flavor of ice cream. There’s tons of talent among those four.

7. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Those 3? Leclerc, Russel, Lando.

My favourites: Lando, Leclerc, Russel

Russel....quick lad but I just find him a bit boring. Too clean cut.

8. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Lando's fight with Leclerc yesterday was spectacular. And I can't wait to see Russel in Mercedes. It all looks bright for pretty much everyone else except for Leclerc and Sainz. :(

Bas likes this.
  9. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Russell in the Williams reminds me of Alonso in the Minardi. Obvious he’s too good for the car BUT I don’t rank him with the same potential of Fred. He might be more of a pita too.
    Lando is interesting. Blindingly fast and all of it on instinct. More of a Natural than the others but I think it ends there. Still, he’s a young ‘young’ and neutral no matter what the circumstances, those are enough positives to pause and wait for him to bloom.
    Leclerc has a combination of attributes. Clever, he’s a thinker alright, Prosty for lack of a better term. Polished, knows the job at hand and more focused than 95% of them. Skillful in and out of the cockpit, self assured although perhaps not the quickest. IMHO;). ;).

DF1, 375+, Bas and 1 other person like this.
  10. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Don't forget RB was moving to Honda engines, and they were not very good in the McLaren.

pilotoCS likes this.
  11. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    People were saying the same thing about Ham, the season he moved from McLaren to Merc. :p

Remember how Schumi was credited with bringing Ferrari into wins, back in the day?

What driver wouldn't want to be the "savior" of a mid-pack team? ;)

lorenzobandini likes this.
  12. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Of course now it´s evident, but back then Renault was 4th and climbing, while Red Bull had Honda engines and Helmut Marko, so leaving was not such a crazy idea.

DGS likes this.
  13. Top speed

Top speed Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joonas
    Why is it that if you don't praise Vettel to heaven and beyond his desperate fans instantly label you as a "hater". Like I said, he didn't do anything special; he just drove a normal race with hardly any real wheel to wheel action. I get it, him coming in 6th place in a race is the same as him winning a WDC at this point, considering the downward spiral his career has been for the last 2-3 years.

More funny are the people saying stuff like "not a good race from Leclerc". Question, what was he supposed to do to make it a good a race? Go against his race engineers decision and demand for medium tires rather than softs? Sure he could have done that, but he trusted his team on the matter, I mean they literally get PAID to make those decisions. Or maybe after that awful mistake with softs, he should have driven faster with his old-ass hard tires than the guys with 15 laps younger hard tires or even mediums? Not even the adopted son of Schumacher and Senna who would have inherited both of their talents, could have gotten any better result with that strategy and turd of a car.

Picchu88, Jakuzzi and Nembo1777 like this.
  14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I would like to see the closed door eyeball to eyeball meeting after the race between Helmut Marko and the boy who broke his car on the warm up lap.

He redeemed himself very well yes but it oh so nearly cost him a zero point result....still not fully mature and did you notice Horner saying he "tried" to bin the car 3 times before going off?
    I accept that even Prost did that mistake (warm up lap at San Marino GP in the rain one year) but it is still a major error. Incredible job by RB to get him out there.

15. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Thank you for articulating precisely the issue with Leclerc. Blind trust in a Ferrari strategy team that for many years haven’t been up to the job. If he’s going to drag Ferrari to the top, he is going to have to learn to challenge strategy calls that are obviously off. He is young and hopefully he will learn to do that more, but at this race he was schooled on strategy by Vettel who had no hesitation in rejecting softs and demanding mediums.

16. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    And I thought that you were unbias, and that only the performance mattered ....

pilotoCS likes this.
  17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Not sure where you get that from.

stavura and Jakuzzi like this.
  18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Two against oneo_O

Nembo1777 likes this.
  19. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #244 zygomatic, Jul 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    Mentioning Prost makes me think of the most difficult thing of all to measure: how well the driver leads a team. The greats have taken different approaches to it, but all have found ways to inspire and lead their garages. I don't have any great insight here, but I do notice that Williams has made progress with Russell. Whether they like working with him is a different question. Charles seems to have a good relationship with his pit, but that could change after days like yesterday. I believe (perhaps wrongly) that tensions with the team's strategy and functioning are part of what built pressure on and distracted Seb. It's difficult to tell with Lando: on the one hand, his youth means that he seems to listen (earnestly) to his pit wall more than most. As he matures he'll need to give direction to the team. That said: he seems to have good instincts. There is a photo of Lando helping the team break down the car for shipping after the race, and that is after a post-race in which he took responsibility for the weekend's finish. Small things, but I believe they help him be a leader.

Nembo1777, subirg and Isobel like this.
  20. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    All's well that ends well.

That said, massive kudos to the Red Bull crew for doing an hour job in fourteen minutes.

21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hah! Marko lost that eye 80 miles west south west of here at Charade during the 1972 French Grand Prix when a small volcanic stone was picked up by the car in front of him and catapulted into and through his visor, we all recall how thin visors were back then: Felipe Massa would have left this world if his visor was that thin when he had his own accident in Hungary.

I certainly respect Marko, he is the one who would have gone to Ferrari not Lauda had there not been that career ending injury, he won Le Mans 1971, but he is a hard bastard and was very harsh with the likes of Bourdais and anyone who did not pass muster in concentration camp red cow, sorry the Red Bull academy.

Max has been at the receiving end of his shouting numerous times such as Monaco where he stupidly wrecked his car in qualifying not that long ago.

I do wonder if the loss of an eye does not affect the brain...is there data about that I wonder?

I know during the 2008 financial crisis the subprime loans and all that there was a young one eyed American finance whiz who had caused a lot of it, he was downright Asperger's totally callous about the fate of people he entrapped and sometimes Marko reminds me of him, such as when he wanted the drivers to get Codiv on purpose this spring...hello?

375+ likes this.
  22. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My daughter, who's now an attorney and has occasionally watched F1 with me asked something that I found interesting from a casual observer. I was explaining the issue with Ferrari and the FIA Tech directives and all that. She nodded, thought for a minute then asked... "Mercedes wins everything since I can remember. Has anyone looked at their stuff to see why?"

Giallo 550 and Jakuzzi like this.
  23. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  24. Naaahhh. It's not my way. It's nature's way.......physics.

Rather....
    'You see? We agree. You realize it yourself. :)

(Yeah. I admit I'm anal about reality and with Corona-time on my hands.... ;))

25. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    And at a time when Vettel had real competition. Not like today, when FIA/MB have made sure that NO ONE can challenge LH44. :)

stavura and 375+ like this.