FORMULA 1 ARAMCO MAGYAR NAGYDIJ 2020-->PRACTICE 1/2/3 ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄ | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 ARAMCO MAGYAR NAGYDIJ 2020-->PRACTICE 1/2/3 ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Jul 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Binotto admitted it's the engine since the FIA clampdown.

No surprise to me....some or most of us saw it a mile away.

Even telemetry last year AFTER the FIA clampdown saw it....especially in the straights at various tracks.

Why Binotto waited so long to admit it??...is beyond me.

2. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I am sure Ferrari is working on solving the engine power issue and I believe they can. I do not know all the detailed rules but say for example Ferrari solves with PU issue can they use a new improved PU this year?

3. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Engine freeze for 2020 and 2021.

So Ferrari is ****ed.

McLaren and Racing Point (Aston Martin F1 in 2021) well slide into 3rd and 4th place.

Ferrari looks to be 5th in the WCC points.

Bas and 375+ like this.
  4. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Any positive news is acceptable. It was wet, but he also was ahead of the Merc and RBR/Max. Maybe there’s hope for quali if it rains?

(Yes, I know he set his time before conditions worsened again....so there’s not much to read into but you take the headlines where you can get them this season. Oh, and Charles is still in the top-5!)

kraftwerk and 375+ like this.
  5. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Well, at least we got the cars on track and P1 in practice 2 as good as you could hope for.

ricksb and 375+ like this.
  6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Looks like it's time for the 4 liter engine.o_O

Bas and Nembo1777 like this.
  7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

So, Charles Leclerc is finding himself contracted for 4 more years to a team that's hitting rock bottom ?

I thought it was a mistake to sign for so long.

At least Vettel can retire ...

8. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Retire to Aston Martin/Racing Point....

9. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I hope the kid doesn't loose his fervor and intensity for racing.

After hearing the same 'ol same 'ol and driving the same 'ol same 'ol....it can be discouraging...especially when McLaren and Racing Point are beating you for 2 more years.

kraftwerk and william like this.
  10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Leclerc tied up with a non-performing Ferrari will be another Berger-Alesi saga.

tifosi12, Nembo1777 and Jakuzzi like this.
  11. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Based on Hamilton's qualifying last weekend in the rain, I would say that is a wish too far.

RNSX and tifosi12 like this.
  12. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

No - lets specify a capable mostly error free driver in a car capable of winning lol :)

13. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    With an "unlimited" and persistent budget

I like that one. Good post.

DF1 likes this.
  14. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    On a positive note; it’s good to see Williams starting to mix it up, even if it’s with the other back markets (non cheating Ferrari supplies engine teams!)

tifosi12 likes this.
  15. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/150641/f1-reports-two-positive-covid-test-results-in-hungary

Formula 1 has confirmed there have been two positive results for COVID-19 in the latest round of testing ahead of this weekend's Hungarian Grand Prix.

F1 has been conducting regular tests for COVID-19 on all personnel attending the "closed event" grands prix at the start of the 2020 season, which commenced with back-to-back races in Austria earlier this month.

A report has been issued each Friday confirming the testing numbers, with more than 8,000 tests resulting in no positive cases over the Austria weekends.

But F1 has now confirmed there have been two positive COVID-19 test results in Hungary following nearly 5,000 tests over the last week.

"The FIA and Formula 1 can today confirm that between Friday 10th July and Thursday 16th July, 4,997 tests for COVID-19 have been performed on drivers, teams and personnel," a statement reads.

"Of these, two people have tested positive. The individuals were not present in Austria, with the affected people removed from operations and isolated.

"Tracing of close contacts completed and isolated. The FIA and Formula 1 are providing this aggregated information for the purposes of competition integrity and transparency.

"No specific details as to teams or individuals will be provided by the FIA or Formula 1 and results will be made public every 7 days."

16. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    There is still some room for improvement, with tokens, etc... I also think that McLaren and Racing Point are not so out of reach. Both were beaten in the first race; in the second it was an early DNF and the wet qualifying mixed things uo, so it´s not conclusive. I think a 3rd place in Constructors is not easy, but doable.

And now for something completely different, I´ve just learned that Honda was allowed to work in their engine during the quarantine shutdown imposed by the FIA. Supposedly, it was to compensate for the fact that Japanese laws don´t allow to work in August, when everybody should have been working to compensate for the time lost in the shutdown. But as the engines got frozen later, the August holidays are not going to affect them anyway, so they got one engine evolution "for free". I don´t know why the rest of manufacturers agreed with this.

17. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    For sure any improvement this year would be a miracle.

What I don’t understand is why he says the other manufacturers had a chance to improve their power unit and not them - is this because they shut down the factory in Italy because of high number of COVID cases before the FIA-mandated shut-down? Why did they agree to this then?

Also, there is no development allowed in-season but will be between seasons for 2021, as Binotto himself says (in Autosport):

"I don't think it was only the case of Ferrari, I think looking at the power output of this season I think most of the other manufacturers had to adapt themselves.

"Certainly as Ferrari we had to adapt, and as a simple output of that we lost some of the performance we had.

"I think that now we've got a clearer situation in some areas of the regulations, hopefully that will continue if required for the future."

Binotto said that the FIA's factory shutdown, which was applied to power units for the first time, hampered Ferrari's chances of improving the engine within 2020.

"Engine or power unit development is an ongoing process that we never stopped since 2012, which was probably when we started developing those engines," he said.

"Now it's been a long time that we were developing them.

"We were doing developments as well for this season we will not be able to introduce during this season itself, because we had the long shutdown period before the start of the season, which has not been the case for all the power unit manufacturers.

"We'll try to develop as much as we can by the start of next season.

18. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I think Italy was on complete lockdown due to the COVID-19 pandemic which hindered Ferrari from doing ANYTHING on the SF1000.

Not so much for the other teams.

Nembo1777 and 375+ like this.
  19. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    It's obviously the COVID-19 lockdown imposed on Italy, which was in terrible shape as opposed to the other teams based in England.

20. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not rambling at all. All accurate observations. A rare thing in this forum.

mdrums likes this.
  21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Don't bring that one into play. Ferrari's budget is unlimited as well. If not even bigger.

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Maybe they should have stayed with Barnard's plans in the early nineties.

23. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Ferrari needs diversity....again.

24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Exactly, while Italy dug in an did what was needed the country where most F1 teams are dithered until even it's leader Mr BoJo caught the virus by ineptitude...so in an ideal world Italian teams should get a one second bonus in qualifying...

ingegnere likes this.
  25. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    So how did they get railroaded into accepting a further lockdown on the same terms as the other teams who kept working and knowing they were already behind.

Even Honda were surprised at the amount of work Mercedes did while supposedly in lockdown.

Nembo1777 likes this.