Forget cars...Deer season is coming up in a few weeks. | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Forget cars...Deer season is coming up in a few weeks.

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by silvergts1998, Aug 21, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Hey Adam, not to change the subject, but are you going on the Bardstown Tour, with the Concours d'Elegance? Miss seeing you at C&C.

Dan

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    don't forget about my new community www.freerangehunter.com. right now giving live updates on my Kansas muzzleloader hunt.

3. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam

Nah,

I'm not a big fan of the event or the organizers of the organization plus hunting trumps any car stuff for me. I already went to the heaven hill distillery with the Viper Club and was a sponsor of the event. If you go have fun. Heaven Hill was a good time. I will be looking for deer for the rest of the year and not doing any driving.

4. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Hope you bag a big one. Be sure to take a picture of it, after all, I've never seen a deer strapped to the hood of a TR before.

Dan

5. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Nice.

I dialed in my bow Monday. I feel good w/ a 20-25yd shot. Not going to venture outside of that.

Acorns are far and few - appears only red-oaks dropping - no white oaks. I suspect plots and corn are going to be hot. I plan on putting in some winter wheat.

Adam - have you got any trail camera photos of that buck you hit?

Rob - wish the hunting/fishing forum was a subscribed sub-forum not a link.

6. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam

Hey S, now I am proud of you man! You using a bow!! I do have trail cam pics of the big deer but I don't have the ability to post pictures anymore. I contributed quite a bit of tutorials on here with pics and things but can't anymore unless I think I upgrade my membership. Oh well no more posting pictures for me on here.

I will shoot some emails to you later on. Let me know if you work anything out on the other farm for me.

7. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    You've inspired me buddy!

I've had it for several years but hadn't put the time in to really get comfortable w/ a harvest-kill shot under different circumstances. I think I'm dialed in and I think the weather is much more condusive to early season for archery this year. Last couple of years have been brutally hot in Sept early October and those aren't attractive conditions for me.

I will let you know on the other - have things "cooking."

8. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Well, I am glad you are getting into Archery. When you get your first deer with a bow, it's a great feeling! I have several climber stands if you want to borrow one. The ones I have are nice and light, but I am a nut about safety when using them. Let me know.
    Keep me posted on the other stuff.

9. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    look out Bambi

10. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    You can post your pictures on the new www.freerangehunter.com site, there is a thread for scouting and trailcam pics. I'd like to see the deer in your area.

11. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Got a doe with my bow Saturday night at 30 yards and waited to track it until the next day. Too late..coyotes and vultures had it torn down in no time. Amazing how fast these animals work.

12. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    early bird gets the worms or is it the late comer. poor Bambi

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I did hear a good saying on TV hunting show, more often than not you are sorry you went in too early than too late. I'm on the 1 too early and 0 too late right now.

I think if you are certain of a solid double lung and possible heart, then a couple hours is enough wait. if already wobbly last sight or even hear a crash, just give it 30-60 minutes. :)

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    please stop posting to this thread just to say something about Bambi, this thread obviously isn't for you except to sell a truck. thanks.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  16. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    that was some real shot! thanks for posting. and yes i will stop joking about b-----. thanks for posting this experience. the last time i used a bow for the same thing was 1959. deer hunting takes serious skills. no i did not score a shot

17. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    #117 Gershwin, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  18. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    #118 Gershwin, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's a few pictures. I've worked very hard in the last several years on QDMA practices and its paying off big time!

These are definitely 150 class and may push 160.

The one on the left has two nubs under the main beam and if left for one more year - could bear a double drop tine. However if I find at the right time - he'll be down;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    those are dream deer for me right there! I hope to see something like that in Pike County.

20. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    nice deer there gershwin, Those look like the one I tried to shoot at with my bow at Aaron's farm. Hey Rob, can you throw me a bone and give me picture posting access? :)

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    why don't you pay the 4 cents a day like everyone else you cheap bastard! :D ;) :D

22. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    gotta save up for my broad heads! How about all the nice write ups I did for the 512TR? Doesn't hurt to ask...:) :)

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that's why its only 4 cents a day and not 5 cents for you! :D

24. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    blah! lol.

25. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    pay and post!

We've got to see what you're stalking out there or what you've harvested.