"Ford vs. Ferrari" – Will Hollywood Do it Right This Time? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

"Ford vs. Ferrari" – Will Hollywood Do it Right This Time?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Aug 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Agree completely. RUSH CGI had me on the verge of walking out. This thing looks so Hollywood, it might be Doa for me if I see one more trailer. All it seems to be missing is Elvis.

TheMayor likes this.
  2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Never seen quite so many complaints about a movie literally months before its official debut.

One of my buddies complained that the movie can't be good because it wasn't made while Carroll
    Shelby was still alive, seriously. My reply to him was that Shelby was such a nut that there would
    have been no way they could have made the movie during his lifetime as he would have taken over
    the entire production and made it all about him and he would have made the production company
    pay him millions just so they could use his name. Naturally, this would have been a complete
    disaster a-la the "Le Mans" production where McQueen went straight off the rails and bankrupted
    himself (professionally and personally) in the attempt to impress his racing pals.

Looking at the TV ratings for racing these days, the production company would be daft if they
    want to appeal to racing aficionados to buy tickets to the movie as our numbers are dwindling by
    the minute.

Will "Ford v. Ferrari" bring a whole new generation of fans to racing? Highly unlikely. Just as
    during the production of "Driven", many were touting this train wreck was going to be CART's
    saving grace and the exact opposite happened and CART died a slow lingering death.

BHW

Nortonious and 95spiderman like this.
  3. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    It is not at all likely that either Eric Broadley or Lola will be mentioned. Hollywood with treat this as a typical cowboy vs Indian/good vs. evil, white hat/black hat story full of rah-rah American braggadocio going off to vanquish Ferrari. They can’t do anything else, as this is entertainment and not a documentary. I hope I am wrong, but Hollywood has proven in the past and continues to prove that they are a shallow one trick pony. The irony is that Ferrari is still a coveted high performance automobile and Ford has moved to being a transportation appliance...... Yea Ford!

Nortonious likes this.
  4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Ford was always a transportation appliance, with racing as a hobby. Unfortunately Ferrari is also moving in that direction with the coming SUV and possible electric in the future(a high performance appliance) !!

I hope this movie is better than we fear it will be.

5. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I watched a well made docu on this few yrs ago. im sure it was very accurate and authentic. it was also very boring. barely finished it. im looking forward to this one. I also loved driven, lemans, and gran prix. theyre fun entertainment.

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I used to call Ford and GM rental car manufactures, but with the rise of exotic rental car companies Ferrari isn't too far off. ;) I don't go into movies with much expectations other than to experience audio/visuals I can't recreate with a home theater system...I only go to theaters for IMAX for that reason. This one looks like it only has 1 week in IMAX before being displaced by Frozen 2. :/

Sharknose and Nortonious like this.
  7. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    So perhaps well suited to portray Shelby

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

I feel more like a progressive type. Fake virtue signaling ass.