Ford Focus RS! | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Ford Focus RS!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by nicholasn, Jun 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    Sadly the Golf R400 will not be offered by VW anytime soon after being moth balled while they sort out the diesel business. The regular R is a bit of of snoozer looks wise and excitement wise. The RS3 wagon is not offered in NA and the RS seems under powered compared to the rest. Doesn't leave a lot of good options in this pack.

2. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Apparently the biggest hot hatch comparison test ever conducted on video:

Ford Focus RS, Honda Civic Type-R, Audi RS3, Mercedes-AMG A45, Volkswagen Golf R, Renault Sport Megane 275 Cup-S, Peugeot 308 GTI By Peugeot Sport 270, BMW 135i and Subaru Impreza WRX STI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhnyQHRoeao

3. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    The AWD system on the Golf R isn't even close to the level of the Ford. The Ford is the car to buy.

4. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    ford has an all time hit with the rs
    and that was a great video
    thanks
    ps. hey scud, how did you miss that one? lol

5. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Good Q!

Logistics error no doubt . . .

6. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    I think the more interesting piece is the cover story of the current Autocar. Here's the promo:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh_pwGCxnP8[/ame]

7. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    similar performance
    bmw gives the quality and prestige
    ford less $
    hmmm...

8. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Your welcome.

For people demanding AWD it def. is. Otherwise it depends, especially for us Europeans;

The package Ford offers is unrivaled, even more so considering the price.
    But for track day junkies the Megane is the one to go for, a lot lighter and more focused(!). Plus lot's of upgrades available to make it even better. You see a lot of them on track days in Europe, especially on the Nurburgring.

He's getting slow...;)

9. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    Will be interested to see how budget the interior actually is. Since it will be a DD, can't have it be too much of a penalty box. Still leaning toward the R.

10. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    One GTI review captured what seems to be the essential difference between that platform and current, performance oriented Focus models:

2015 Volkswagen GTI First Drive

Sounds like it's a very personal choice.

(It's a shame we don't get the performance versions of either the Megane or the Leon Cupra in the States.)

11. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    By the way, theirs an even more focused version still than the one in the vid, the RS 275 Trophy. Has lighter forged Speedline wheels, no backseats, Recaro Pole positions instead of Recaro Sportsters etc.

Megane R.S. 275 Trophy-R Limited Edition | Renault

12. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_LCunEbH44[/ame]

13. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    enjoyable video and somewhat surprising the ford is so close in lap time on a dry track. cant really go wrong with either choice of car here. maybe the bmw if care more about street driving and focus if more about the track? I would like to try them back to back

14. definitelysomeday

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    Thanks. I remember reading that review. I had a Mark VI GTI, and it was a pretty good car. I had just come out of an Evo X and a Boxster S (just had my first kid, and needed something friendlier), so didn't appreciate it as much as I should have. The Mark VII GTI is a step forward from the VI. Still waiting to drive the R. They leave the dealers as soon as they arrive, so getting a test drive has been difficult.

Now if Porsche would just take the GI platform, and make it rear wheel drive. . . .

15. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    This is a review of the 3-door Fiesta ST, in Euro spec:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_iZxX7dYF8[/ame]

The two additional doors add about 200lbs to this lightweight and take away stiffness. (The new one comes out in early 2017. It's going to be larger and use better materials in the interior. I hope they don't mess with the car's character too much.)

16. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    I drove the GTI and Golf R back to back a few months ago. It was a slow weekday and the salesman was pretty enthusiastic so we went on relatively long drives on back roads where I could push the cars. Honestly whether in terms of power or handling, the difference between GTI and Golf R is almost imperceptible on the road. The GTI chassis and setup is that good (and the car I drove didn't have the Performance Package). What surprised the most was that it didn't 'feel' like much of an acceleration difference between the two despite the 80hp difference. I can only assume that it's because maybe the Golf R response is poorer with the larger turbo. So all in all, I don't think there is any difference between the two except on the track. A missed opportunity for VW, the Golf R refinement is appreciated but the powertrain is too sedate.

Fwiw, the Golf platform is a spectacular dd. Great styling and practicality, and excellent interior for the segment.. better than the bland A3/S3 imo. Perfect ride quality balance and the both engines are quite responsive, especially compared to current Subaru engines which are total dogs with an on/off response.

If it weren't for VW reliability it'd be a no brainer.

17. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    CORRECTION: The two additional doors add 130lbs.

Apologies.

18. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    The RS seems great. Presently my V wagon is the best 5 door out there but I could see driving this car.

19. definitelysomeday

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    Thanks for this! So maybe save a few bucks, get the GTI and use the savings to tweak it a bit? I wish Porsche (or someone!!!) would put out a fun to drive RWD hatch.

20. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i was just instructing a student at pocono yesterday in a new 6 sp vw gti. first time ive been in a gti in long time. was so impressed with the car. tremendous torque and nice handling. from passenger seat, i couldnt tell it was fwd or turbo. and it was on all season tires. needs more exhaust noise and maybe lower it a little bit with summer tires but great platform for $25k

21. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep10ChjKVuQ[/ame]

22. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    #123 Davesvt2000, Jul 5, 2016