Ford F-450 diesel - ownership experience, advice sought. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ford F-450 diesel - ownership experience, advice sought.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by tomc, Feb 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Yes, you need an endorsement on your license. The limit without the endorsement is 10,450 lbs. I can get close if the boat has no fuel and water. You need the endorsement for toy haulers and RV's as well. Its a cash grab. The other boat I'm considering is 9,500 lbs, so under the limit.

2. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Well the F450 I was looking at, sold this morning..................... Trucks are selling fast here.

3. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I believe it’s the F-450 that has a really tight turning radius vs the 350 that making turns so much easier in tight spots

technom3 and tomc like this.
  4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That's what I've read as well. 450 also has larger brakes than 350 DRW...T

5. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    There is a wide track F350 available with the better turning radius, you’ll see they have larger fender flares than the standard trucks.
    But you get heavier duty axles, brakes, and suspension as well as tires and 19.5’s.

6. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    In my opinion. You either need a 250....or a 450.

The 350 is not enough truck and too much truck.

If you need a 350... Buy a 450.

Also....if you need a 450... And they have it... Buy it. They sell fast fast fast fast fast... There is someone ALWAYS needing a 450

tomc and Bas like this.
  7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    If anyone is pondering a similar conundrum, this recent video has a lot of useful information - much of which is presented in this thread - in one short video.

We have two 600+ mile road trips on our F-450 and it's been great. Love driving it. Going to Costco has never been so much fun!

T

OhioMark likes this.
  8. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I was in the market for an F450 as well, couldn’t get a new one and ended up going with a new Ram 3500 dually instead with a 28 foot enclosed Pace trailer to accompany it.

I’ve saved over $50k+ just hauling stuff around in the 7 months I’ve had it.

one of my employees was getting quoted $20k to move from Milwaukee to Los Angeles, even worse nobody could get to him for weeks or months which was an issue.

sent my truck and a couple guys up there, we got it done in a few days at a fraction of the price

plus I get to haul all my cars and stuff around on my schedule with my truck

this truck has provided me with so much freedom, utility and not having to rely on others is an amazing luxury

congrats on your f450 purchase, glad to hear you’re enjoying it already and the color is gorgeous, I still want to try the Ford next once I’ve gotten a few years out of the Dodge

Bas and VAF84 like this.
  9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Our experience was if you wanted a 450 you needed to be at the dealership quickly and with cash in hand. And that was before the used car market really went bonkers. We whiffed on two before we landed the red Lariat.

I see a lot of Ram dually trucks around here, so they must be pretty solid. We haven't towed anything, but it's still a blast to drive the 450. Must be my inner redneck! It's a great road trip car. Am glad to hear you're enjoying yours.

T

VAF84 likes this.