Ford -05-'06 GTX=1 roadster by Genaddi Design, how did it end? | FerrariChat

Ford -05-'06 GTX=1 roadster by Genaddi Design, how did it end?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by bitzman, Aug 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I was following the Ford GT rebirth in '05-'06 and at first liked the open car conversion design by Mark Gerisch of Genaddi Design Wisconsin, who was working with Ford engineer Kip Ewing to develop the conversion from coupe to open car. Ford dealers did not list it as an official option, it was a sort of "off the books" conversion, though Ford did not hide that one of their own engineers was working on it in his own time. Then I started to hear from GT owners that they leaked and that he was taking months to finish them Some even flew to out to Wisconsin to get their cars back. I wonder how many he made (I read 50), if he still does them and if he even stayed in business??

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    BJK likes this.
  3. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Palm Beach 2017 - "Less than 200 GTX1s were ever produced." then "Only about 100 GTX1s have been ordered and completed by Genaddi Design Group."

so, is it 100 or 200? 100 finished, and 100 to go? (nah)

From 2/08 - Seems to be a little bit of an apparently unpleasant mess. (promises not kept? money lost? Anybody know the whole story?)
    https://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/threads/genaddi-is-back-to-finish-the-job.9558/

4. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    BJK likes this.
  5. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    from the author who co-wrote a book on the Ford GT40 and the New Ford GT (so this guy is an 'expert/historian/researcher'): "I gather between 50 and 200 cars were started, I don’t know how many were finished."
    All still a very muddled mess!
    I would think then, that good examples of the GTX1 will rise in value. Rare and desirable.

6. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I like it with the rear bumper off but black lensed taillights is going too far...I made this painting of the one I saw in Malibu at a Cars 'n Coffee recently.
    View attachment 2713864

7. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    not subscribed, can't see it. copy paste here?

8. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Can't post it. Write [email protected] and by then I'll have the URL where I can post it. By the way one funny thing about the '05-06 is that the yellow was so unpopular where Ford thought that would be a big winner.

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Why is it so unpopular? It's my favorite color on the car. Looks great with black wheels and this is my favorite GT. It's now sold, but previously part of the WheelsBoutique lineup (Fchat sponsor).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Davesvt2000 and BJK like this.
  10. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Worked for a Ford dealer during the time of the GT. Owner had a Tungsten/ silver stripe 06 that was sent out for the conversion. After he got it back he didn’t keep it long. Said it ruined the car. I never drove it after, but he wasn’t happy.

11. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Technically, it wasn't a "GT" any longer after the sex change operation. Sounds like it caused a bad case of buyers remorse for the owner. Moral: be careful what you wish for!

12. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    The Heritage Gulf scheme cost an extra sum. I think it was $13,000 or $17,000 more which was a horrendous add-on at the time but they justified it by saying it had to go through the paint booth three times Now it's worth $100,000 more so here's a case where an option pays a sweet reward.

Davesvt2000 likes this.
  13. SteveA

SteveA Karting

May 21, 2006
    Sandpoint Id
    Full Name:
    Steve Ard
    The Heritage upcharge was 10k.
    The problem with the GTX1 was there wasn't any consistency between cars and how the tops were cut creating serious problems when trying to make a standard removable roof panel. Most cars were delivered without the hardtop panel with a promise to supply it later. Very few owners got a top as I understand and when the operation came to an halt there were a bunch of half started cars. I believe the number of actual delivered cars is closer to the 50 number with the partially started number was much higher, I wanna say 75+ but that's a real fuzzy recall. I do know for a fact FordMoCo had nothing to do with the conversion. After the dust settled and people were able to claimed their cars in various unfinished conditions many cars were eventually made nearly perfect by a couple of retired Ford employees that had started their own GT maintenance and repair business after production ended on the car. They were also able to come up with a removable top solution.

Davesvt2000 likes this.
  14. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    BJK likes this.
  15. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Fifty out of 4000 some cars is sure enough to guarantee it's rare. Whatever happened to the guy who stopped building them? Was he sued, put in jail, declared bankruptcy or all three? I would also like to know if the Ford engineer (Kip Ewing?) that picked him to do the conversion he designed was demoted for tying Ford in with a flake operation.

16. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    #23 gtjoey, Mar 4, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    A lot happened during that GREAT TIME.........Money was flying, The cars were so hot, it was one big party.
    As all good things it came to an end...
    The last cowboy era of car building from the factory.
    I spoke to Kip just last week. The final number was around 33 cars off the top of his head.
    There was a video out there back in the day when this woman cut the tops off. Painful to watch if your an adult male, she just kept cutting and cutting, its on You Tube ........
    They were cool and they were crude, very bespoke and different.
    3 of my friends still have them today.
    If you look in the book Ford Gt the Complete owners experience, theres alot more detail.
    One gentleman had a complete bespoke all denim interior! From seats to dash..
    Great times.
    GTJOEY1314
    The GTGUYS took over the half completed cars and service. Once Gennadi went bust.

17. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    from 2009

18. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT