For Sale - For Trade: 1960 Triumph TR3A | FerrariChat

For Sale For Trade: 1960 Triumph TR3A

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Gle8, Apr 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

For Trade: 1960 Triumph TR3A (registered as a 1961).

I purchased this car almost 2 years ago from a gentleman in Lyons, CO. Since then I have put about $15K into it to make it the most reliable TR3 I have had the pleasure of driving.

This is not a garage queen. I’ve put about 8K miles on it in the last 2 years, and that’s with it being in the shop for upgrades a significant amount of the time. It is an older (20 year +) respray, but presents extremely well from 5+ feet. In fact, from that distance it looks perfect. But once you get in you’ll start to notice quite a few imperfections.

There are some chips/scratches/etc around the body that I’ve tried to capture in the photos. The door seals area bit tired, and you’ll find small gaps in the rear weather-stripping. There are tiny bits of overspray here and there. The aftermarket steering wheel necessitated installing a toggle switch for the turn signals (we used a period correct toggle which feels fantastic). The heater has been removed (inop) but is included with the car. The original steering wheel with turn signal assembly is also included. The amp needle recently fell off (go figure) but I’ll have it replaced with an OEM prior to sale. The choke is a bit tough to pull out, but you only have to do it once so I haven’t bothered to address it.

I’ve never even installed the roof/windows, but they will be included. Side skirts are a bit glazed, but functional. Top is in good shape. Frankly, I don’t expect anyone will ever use them, as this car is all about having the wind in your hair 6 inches from the ground.

Please don’t be dismayed by my description, just trying to be as thorough as I can. See the photo link at the bottom for full details (yes, I know my garage is pathetic).

Now to the good bits. It’s had a no expense spared full engine rebuild in the past 12 months. New brakes. New suspension. New Battery. Rats nest removed and replaced with correct Lucas wires. Crane ignition replaced with Petronix version. Steering box rebuilt. And a whole lot more. I can provide details and receipts to any interested party, as well as contact info for my mechanic (Ted Ax of Ax and Allies) who knows this car inside and out.

This car starts the first time every time. It warms up quickly, and never goes over temp. The installed temp-sensing fan works as it should, but it’s really only insurance as the car doesn’t need it. This. Car. Drives. Great. It’s not cosmetically perfect, but every mechanical upgrade that can be done has been done, and it has been the most reliable car I’ve owned after the rebuild. I regularly drive it 300+ miles in a day with no issues (except an immense amount of fun). It handles like a champ (well, like a 1960s champ) and never fails to bring a smile to my face. I’ve also received more compliments in this car than in ones that cost 5 times as much. It’s truly an occasion every time I go for a drive.

So why am I trading? Well, now that I’m in the mountains, the days I can drive it without the top (the only way I will drive it) are limited. I really hate to see it go, which is why I won’t consider selling it. But a trade, where someone else can get the same enjoyment I do and I can add something else to my fleet, well, that might work.

What am I looking for? Something interesting. Below is a very incomplete and hastily put together list, so feel free to throw offers out there. I can add/subtract cash, or even take watches/firearms as partial trade. Like I said, just looking for interesting stuff.

Porsche 996TT
    Qvale Mangusta
    Maserati Gran Sport
    Mercedes G-Wagon
    Noble M400
    SL55/65 (older, obviously)
    Older Bentley
    1st Gen RX-7
    VW Corrado VR6
    Newer RV
    Trailer (sub 3,500lbs)
    Side by sides / atvs
    Anything interesting

I value the car (for trade) in the low 30s. You can find prettier examples out there for that money, but not one as mechanically sound and enjoyable as this one. So if you’re the kind of person who likes to flog on your sports cars with just a lap belt and wooding steering wheel between you and death, but still needs it to start every morning, this car just might be for you.

Photos can be found here: http://s117.photobucket.com/user/Gle8/library/1960%20TR3

Thanks for viewing!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jack-the-lad and PBonneau like this.
  2. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Now we're talkin' . . . . I had a TR4A-IRS. Nice, but, other than the "luxury" of wind-up windows, I would have rather had the TR3. GLWS . . .

Gle8 likes this.
  3. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

When I bought this is was sitting next to a tr4a-irs. I drove both and went home with this one. Mainly because of the cut out doors I must admit.

4. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Here's a few highlights from the engine rebuild:

-Rear main seal conversion (the version that does not require machining the crank scroll off)

-Full engine balance

-‘Big Bore’ TR4 pistons and liners, 84mm. New, not bored out.

-German stretch proof chain

-New billet chilled iron APT camshaft and matching lifters (mild performance grind)

-Tuftrided rocker shaft

-5/16” valve stem conversion and hardened ‘no lead’ valve seats and stainless valves

-Tri-metal bearings (as opposed to aluminum)

-Petronix solid state ignition

-Clutch upgrades including hardened fork bolt and extra hole with hardened nut and bolt for additional strength for release bearing fork

-Toyota Land Cruiser release bearing

-Electric cooling fan (automatic)

5. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Two questions:

1. How tall are you?
    2. Are you interested in a sale? If not, how about a trade for a more modern car?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I'm 5'9".

What modern car? Pm me.

8. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    Original 4 speed trans, or 5 speed conversion? I love them! Have a 1960 and yes, more compliments than any other car i ever owned.

9. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

4 speed, no overdrive. Was thinking about a 5 speed, but I haven't felt the need (yet).

10. Dogdoc1

Dogdoc1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2016
    Philly
    Love the idea of trades. We car guys are all the same. Get our cars to where we want them and then start thinking about the next one. I think it would be great for Ferrarichat to have a section strictly for traders-how fun would that be!

11. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Agreed! I've sold too many cars only to pine over getting them back. Trading feels, well, more honest to myself.

Texas Forever likes this.
  12. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Been there.... done that ! Nothing worse than seller's remorse !

Enzojr, Texas Forever and Gle8 like this.
  13. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I've decided that I'd also be willing to sell at $30K if anyone is interested.

14. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #15 nathandarby67, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
    A TR3 is on my short list. I also have some stuff I'd like to sell/trade.

Any interest in a '52 MG TD, '72 Alfa Spider, '05 997 C2, '79 chassis/'86 engine 911 RSR tribute race car, or a '07 Four Winns ski boat?

Most of the above listed mechanical awesomeness can be seen in the attached pic. Just let me know if you (or anyone else for that matter!) would like more pics and info on anything.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

pm'd!

16. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Sir,
    Check your pm’s..er,conversations..I’ve sent you one.
    Cheers,RE

17. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

18. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I really would rather trade than sell. So if you have something interesting, toss it out!

19. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    BTW, I have seen this car. It is the real deal. If this is the kind of car you're interested in, you need to check it out.

wax and Gle8 like this.
  20. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    Good looking TR. I love the white. I had a 62 TR3B number TCF 460L that I sold in 1999. Well sorted and sold it for around 15K. It went to Oslo Norway and I dropped off at the dock in Georgia. A sad day. These seemed to increase in value a bit. Mine was Red with Black interior.

I miss that car a lot but thankfully my Dad has one these days.

Btw. The Healey’s of this era really took off in value at one time.

GLWS.

21. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I'd love a Healey. At the time I bought this, they were trading around double the price. One day...

22. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I've had something come up that requires garage space. Open to reasonable offers.

Texas Forever likes this.
  23. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Come on, you can spill the beans

24. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Noble M400 :)

That said, I'm open to reasonable offers with a 2 handle.

wax and Texas Forever like this.