For Those That Have Back to Backed 812 SF & GTS | FerrariChat

For Those That Have Back to Backed 812 SF & GTS

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by xBox, Mar 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    Any noticeable difference in steering precision?

Looking at the change, ahead of a GTS test drive, so interested to hear opinions.

Thanks!

2. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    I felt like the GTS was a little more weighted...which I like. Bot others have said the opposite. I stated numerous times that I have 0 regrets and love the GTS more...plus I think it’s a more cohesive design...especially the rear.

xBox likes this.
  3. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    According to reviews GTS is slightly softer set-up, more towards the road/GT end of scale then track weapon

xBox likes this.
  4. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Having owned both, I reckon you need to drive in a 'spirited' manner to notice the difference e.g. on a track. The GTS is around 125kg heavier which is not insignificant and you may feel that, but the steering precision is very similar.

Interested to hear your verdict!

xBox likes this.
  5. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I still have both. I can’t really sell the SF because it arrived late - 2020 - and is a TM car so the drop for about a year and 1k miles would be about 50% of its value. So I thought I would have to sell the GTS. But I haven’t been able to so far. I should really do it because it has held value well but the car is so good and the VS Targa is not really a direct replacement/enhancement. The GTS is one of the best modern Ferraris and we have a few to compare against. It is a real sweet spot car. No scuttle shake, absolutely great on a long road trip (we have been from UK to Italian lakes twice last year in it) and very very beautiful. When I took delivery I was really surprised at how sculpted the rear area is. They have done a beautiful job integrating the open top into the 812. We spec’d ours in a very 1970’s way and I love that - whenever I drive it it’s a reminder of the old Daytona and the French Riviera, beautiful looks, beautiful sound, super-fast performance. A great Ferrari. I’m toying with the idea of keeping three 812s - Superfast, GTS and VS. Probably too indulgent and a very expensive thing to do but if these are the last big block V12s, it would be a nice piece of Ferrari history. The VS will be the most valuable, the Superfast the most usable but it would be not too difficult to argue that the GTS is the best, especially if you have long road trips in mind.

Attached Files:

Andynyc, RamsHmb, Caeruleus11 and 7 others like this.
  6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Luke
    That's a great spec.
    How to get on with luggage on a long trip?

7. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'd be embarrassed to take a photo of my 812 on our lawn at the moment - wish it looked like yours :)

8. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    It’s obviously less space than the Superfast but it was enough for a week for two. Not it’s greatest feature but worth squashing in for the open top? Absolutely :)

9. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Full disclosure - that was taken last Summer! The lawn still looks ok, but not quite like that....;)

10. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    Thanks for the response. Very nice job on the GTS, is it CdF?

I'll get a drive pretty soon, but everything I'm reading suggests the steering will be on par with SF for road use, which if the case is perfectly fine.

I adore my SF, but will place the GTS order. Can't help but feel I am betraying it somehow, so the spec may have to be a close copy in Blu Elettrico/Cuoio.

Alternative would be your approach, keep both and have a free hand on spec......

11. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    The colour is a called Grigio Isabel and is a TM colour we named and used on our SF (plus also for the stripes and wheels on our Pista Spider). It is fantastic under light and much calmer without light, as all the three-layer colours. Here’s a shot of it under an indoor light. The colour is amazing, it has both blue and brown hues in the grey. Not sure how well it comes out with fchat’s resolution but it has the most coarse metallic flake of any Ferrari paint I’ve personally seen and is really good. Its colour range goes from mid grey as far as to black on some of the surfacing. Quite amazing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

12. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    That colour is indeed amazing, quite possibly bordering incredible!

So far I've only had time with Blu Elettrico, which as a 2-layer, is more 'stable' and only really changing its intensity.

Your creation, as a triple, probably never looks the same twice! It was the garden reflections and gold wheels, that made me call CdF :D

I'm looking forward to getting my Rosso Fuoco F8 in a week or so, as I've never really studied the changeability of that colour. For sure its a finer flake, so lets see how that looks under grey Irish skies!

Lukeylikey and Caeruleus11 like this.