[For Sale] 1984 FERRARI 512 BBI | FerrariChat

[For Sale] 1984 FERRARI 512 BBI

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by psorella, Mar 23, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Anyone know this car listed for sale by Sportscar Company? I would appreciate any input
    as far as asking price and what you think of the restoration and mods done to this car and how it will affect it's value in the long run.

Thanks in advance,

psorella

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Is this the resto-mod boxer on ebay? Red with tan interior and custom wheels?

3. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    I don't know... Don't often go to ebay to look for cars, especially Ferrari's. To answer your question, yes ,it does have modded interior- carbon fiber seats in tan, carbon fiber wheel wells, air inlets and custom wheels. What gor me interested in the car is the detailed engine. Seems like alot of time was put into this car. What erks me somewhat, was that it was restored according to original specs and finish... What are your thoughts ? If this car is listed on ebay as you asked, is there something to be aware of ?

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #4 BigTex, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
    If you'll search the builder has a thread on here dedicated to his efforts.

It is what is referred to as "RestoMOD", better constructed than the 'sloppy built" original.......he spent HUGE money.

And immediately 'lost it' when he sold the car, as the Marketplace places a higher value on originality in the case of historic, or in this case very close to historic, Ferraris.

OTOH, if you LOVE the things he did, the car is a very good value.

But it will never rank with the 'pefect, unmolested, like new' examples. IMO.

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It 'appears" to be original specs and finish.....parked next to a real one the differences would be obvious.....

6. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    I don't know... I have met a couple of BB owners and they seem quite anal in keeping their cars as original as possible. I can be like that too... However, the mods freshen up the look of that particular car and the engine bay is just to die for. He did a great job. Too bad he didn't keep it.

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's where the value is....original.

OTOH, there's those that blow that off and take a "keep it 'till I die" type of attitude.

This was an odd case as the build took years, then in only a few months he was liquidating the car!!!

Newman, can you link the thread???

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137758&highlight=boxer

In the boxer repair sticky up top.

Thats Marks car. Bough it at the BJ auction several years ago then restored it. The engine and gearbox were not rebuilt to my knowledge just externally detailed. The rest of the car was done to his taste in a very expensive manner. Its a matter of personal preference, many here feel its too personalized which means he spent a lot of money to depress the value of the car. Had he gone original this car would have sold long ago but the original plan was not to sell it but to enjoy his creation. Im sure the car is in Chicago even though its listed in CA and Mark may still own it as thats where he's from.

9. markpeboxer

markpeboxer Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2006
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #9 markpeboxer, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
    Gents, gents, gents,

Not dead yet - still alive and kicking - and yes I still own my fabulous Boxer.

I made a rather big investment that the challenging economy presented, and my partner, my bank(s) and my stomach lining all collectively said - "obviously you'll sell your Ferrari"...

Hence the listing.

I have had some serious inquiries but honestly I have absolutely no desire to either take a big financial bath nor see it go to the wrong person.

In fact things seem to be stabilizing for me a little quicker than I had imagined, and my guess is I will have my hot little baby for quite some time to come.

While I still don't really like the current 5 spoke wheels, I am super happy with everything else and it has exceeded all my expectations.

I realize the mods I've done aren't everyones cup of tea on this site, but I have to say she draws large crowds at every show I take her to - and I rarely if ever hear negative comments. She looks, smells, sounds and handles like a new car - and the AC blows cold.

I did a few hot laps at Road America last summer and was more than blown away with my times - and it was so much more exhilarating than my 360.

Mr Newman, it's true that I haven't had the engine rebuilt as it just didn't need it - I have however addressed every possible other issue in the car - way beyond "cosmetic". Who knows - at the rate I'm going I just may be one of your customers yet when you get your new garage. I'm loving your rods (ok that sounded a little gay).

I have been promising myself that I'd make a dedicated website to really showcase the build as the thread on Fchat doesn't even remotely illustrate all the work that has been done.

Don't mean to be a stranger - just super busy and trying to keep my nose above water.

Cheers to all my Fchat buddys - I hope you've all been well.

Mark

10. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    You have to see Mark's car in person to really appreciate it. It's looks incredible in person. Much has been done to improve this car versus a regular BB. There has been two years of work and thought put into the build out.

Geno.

11. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    Mark,
    I can at least speak for myself when I say that I love your car. More importantly, it is obvious you love it as well. All the better if you end up keeping it, I'm sure it was hard to put it on the block.

It showed great courage, commitment, and great attention to detail to end up with a magnificent finished product. I know you were widely lauded in your thread, but congrats bear repeating.

Don't be a stranger, and please keep us updated...especially if you let Paul get his capable hands on the engine!

W

12. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

Mark,

I am so pleased that you came out to join us...speaking for myself, I have missed your posts.

Please do not sell that amazing car...it is simply non-duplicable!!!! other than a bb lm, your car is the baddest boxer on the planet! i, like you am not in love with the current wheel package and was soooooo looking forward to seeing it with the compomotives. i am still sorry that you were swindled on the wheel deal by GA Red Cars...i hope you get your money back!!

please keep the car!!!!!!!

best,

peter

13. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Hey Mark, glad to hear from you. I've only looked at your car's 'for sale' pics about 3,418 times, then quit counting. That is a fantastic job still. Glad to hear of some 'light' ahead. I want what suits you - to sell it as that practical purpose serves you or to keep it as the preferred sentimental outcome.

If the OP wants a car obsessively improved (use YOUR definition) then go see that car. Might want to take a drool rag... and a deposit. One of a kind car.

14. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    +1
    My favorite Boxer ever!!!!!!!!!

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I was trying in my posts to point out the love that went into the build, I think it's great, too!

I THOUGHT there was a tie in to GA Red Cars, we still have people 'finding' our site and asking about them.

You are not alone in losing some coin to them apparently!
    I tried to order from them and got an 'odd vibe' for some reason....so never did a deal.

16. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Hey Mark,

I'm glad to hear that you still own the beast.

It's a very unique Boxer and I hope you're able to hang on to it!

Gary

17. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Beautiful car! Finally, a Boxer with a wheel/tire combo that actually fills out the wheelwells! That is how they should have looked originally!

18. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
  19. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    Hi Mark!
    I agree, what's not to like about your car!
    Not stock, who cares, it's a beautiful car in its own right!
    My only disapointment was that its not at the Sports car company, and that it doesn't have the CA. BAR sticker.
    If I could just scrape the vin # and BAR sticker off mine and paste it on yours, life would be good!:D
    Wishing you the best, and hope you can keep her for a good long time!
    John

20. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #20 msdesignltd, Mar 29, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2010

Actually I think the 365 BB original design of a 14 inch XWX tire and Daytona 5 star wheel was the greatest fit of them all...

I miss Large sidewall rubber looks...

What was that original size

285/70 14

21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Probably a 15 inch and they looked too wimpy to me all being the same width, they fixed that with the wider hips and rims with the 512.

22. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    Love those voluptuous hips! :D
    John