For sale - 1973 Ferrari 365 GT4 2+2 No. 39333 | FerrariChat

For sale - 1973 Ferrari 365 GT4 2+2 No. 39333

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by OttoB, Oct 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #1 OttoB, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well... if you go by the description listed in the advertisement as the car is headed to auction this weekend at the Coy's event in Paris, this is what they claim:

"This example here on offer today, is arguably the most significant of all 365 cars in existence having formed part on one of the worlds most recognised collections of Ferrari- the Violate Collection."

Perhaps someone else can chime in as to this very bold statement? This is the link for the advertisement and another blue one that's for sale:

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ferrari/365gt4/1877287.html

Within the listing, it indicates having been the actual car used in the 2003 movie about Enzo and this is a link to same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waw0XvBRh2s&feature=youtu.be
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #2 samsaprunoff, Oct 4, 2016
    Good day OttoB,

Here is the Coy's Link:

The ?Enzo Ferrari Film? 1973 Ferrari 365 GT4 2+2 | Coys of Kensington

According to the Coy's link the chassis number is 17261

Cheers,

Sam

1973 Ferrari 365 GT4 2+2
    Color: Azure Blue Exterior with Black Interior
    Mileage: ?
    Chassis: 17261
    Auction: ?

3. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Thank you for the correction, Sam!

I did not see the chassis number anywhere within the Hemmings listing I saw and posted above, even after performing a search in this forum prior to initiating a new thread on this car. However, I did use the number provided in their description where they mention: "Offered on its original Modena number of MO 39333 the car... ". I wonder why they did not include it in the Hemmings ad.

The question still remains... This really is the most significant 365 in existence???

4. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    The registration number is MO 39333, not the serial number, hence the confusion.

Coys clearly had no photos of it when they compiled the catalogue, apart from stills from the film. The side photo in the first post above is of #16293, the engine bay photo in the second post is of #18705.

The fact it was once in a film and part of the Violati Collection may impact desirability a little, but ultimately it is the condition of the vehicle that will drive the outcome of the auction. You cannot really compare it to say #16293, the third prototype and brochure car, that was sold at RM Auctions in Monterey, 2014 for nearly $300,000.

5. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day OttoB,

Indeed, the Hemmings' ad contains less info than the Coy ad. One would think that both ads would contain the same info, but obviously not.

Cheers,

Sam

6. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day David,

Just to be clear, as you stating that the side and engine pictures within the Coy's ad, etc are not 17261? If this is the case, then Coys could get themselves in trouble, as using pics that are not the car being described is somewhat fraudulent... even if it is unintentional. Potential auction participants could use those pics as a basis to value the car and therefore could influence their bids. If Coys is using pictures of similar cars then they should clearly identify this.

Cheers,

Sam

7. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Hi Sam,
    That's exactly what I mean. This is where the photos were sourced:

Side view:

1972 Ferrari 365 GT4 2+2 Prototipo by Pininfarina | Monterey 2014 | RM Sotheby's

And Engine bay:

1975 Ferrari 365 GT4 2+2 for sale: Anamera

As you say, they should it make it clear these are photos of different cars...

David

8. vecchio59

vecchio59 Karting

Nov 25, 2011
    Savona, NW Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Correct, MO stands for Modena: in the old days, the Italian plates reported the province (county ? Like MI for Milano, GE for Genova) followed by a serial number.

Inviato dal mio SM-N910F utilizzando Tapatalk

9. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    If anything, the good/cool/convenient thing about this thread is that if for any reason down the road - years from now - someone wants to find information about this very same car, when they type the actual VIN number under the search feature, this will show up and they will be able to see what the forum has discussed about this car.

10. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    I have attempted to get the results on this vehicle. If I receive results I will post them. If someone has results please post. Thanks Rick

11. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Coys state it was sold for €75,800 to a collector in New Zealand. It wasn't in great condition.

12. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    I'd be happy with that

13. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    Thank You!

14. Flacca Bambula

Aug 9, 2016
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I am the highly anxious person in New Zealand who bought it, even more anxious now...

I had not noted the still were from different cars, interesting way of doing things I've not come across before.

When it turns up I'll post some actual photos of the real thing, or not if I'm too embarrassed...

15. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    Congratulations! We are glad to have you on the board. These are great cars you will love driving it! Let us know when it arrives. I don't know if you are familiar with carbed V12's . Don't flood it when you start it up first time.

16. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #16 Marcel Massini, Oct 12, 2016
    Just to make things here very clear: The correct Italian license plate number on chassis #17261 is Modena "MO 393333" (NOT "MO 39333"). It is six digits, not five. A possible five digit plate "MO 39333" would have been issued in May 1956 already.
    The car (17261) was registered on plates "MO 393333" on 10 March 1977. This is NOT the first registration of 17261. It is the second. The first one was 6 September 1973 on plates "MO 306084". The first and original owner of 17261 was Enzo Varianini, born on the 3rd August 1933 in Mirandola, resident at Via Fulvia 21 in Mirandola (Province of Modena), Italy, declared purchase price was Italian Lire 13’000’000. The car was sold to him thru dealer Motor S.a.s. in Bologna, Italy.
    I have the paperwork for all this.

Original exterior color: Azzurro Hyperion 2.443.648.
    Original interior color: Nero Cogolo.

Here's a pic I took in 2013 when I inspected all Ferraris of the Maranello Rosso Collection in San Marino.

Marcel Massini

17. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
    #17 roger21, Oct 12, 2016
  18. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    G'day and welcome.

You will love driving this thing.

I'm not sure what Rick means by flooding it.

The start technique is pretty simple...turn key,let the pump do it's work for a few seconds,pump the accelerator once or twice ONLY! then hit the key,it should fire straight away.
    This is a first thing,morning start. All others should fire immediately.

It should be similar to your Espada.

You've a fine collection of other classics,I must say...congrats.

19. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Doug,

Welcome to the Board! Secondly, we are all a pretty easy bunch here and so do not be embarrassed if you uncover things with your car that you are unhappy with... Sadly, a number of cars were neglected or were subject to sub-quality work and so this is not something new...

I wish you all the best with your car!

Cheers,

Sam

20. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Congrats, Doug! It's a beauty. My memory is terrible but even I remember the car from the movie, such is my appreciation for that particular design. Looking forward to seeing more pics after you get the car.

21. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    As others have mentioned, welcome Doug!

These are wonderful cars and yours looks like a beauty. Best of luck with it arriving home, let us know how it turns out or if you need any help - there's a very deep pool of knowledge on this forum.

Cheers!

Ruben

22. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    Thank you Simon I was referring to cold start procedure only Unaware of his collection.

23. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    Working off of my phone as my response to quote failed.Thank you for chiming in Simon. I was referring to cold start technique only. I was unaware of his collection. Figured he would rather drive the first day rather than change plugs.

24. vecchio59

vecchio59 Karting

Nov 25, 2011
    Savona, NW Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Congratulations !!! You'll enjoy every second of driving... And you'll have a great opportunity to test your patience when things will turn sour... it's passion !

Inviato dal mio SM-N910F utilizzando Tapatalk

25. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    His collection is on his public profile.

I have never had a problem starting my 365,hot or cold.