For how long will I hate the gym? :p | Page 2 | FerrariChat

For how long will I hate the gym? :p

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by DriveAfterDark, Apr 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Exactly one month has passed. I can't say I "look forward" to going to gym, but I am more motivated than ever because I have seen gain in strength and weight!

When I started I weighed 64 kg/141 lbs. Today I weigh 67 kg./147.5 lbs. My current goal is to weigh 70 kg./154.5 lbs by end end of the 3rd month (exactly two months to go!).

You guys have no idea how much of a personal victory it is for me to gain weight and to be consistent with the workouts. I have to fight with myself every time just to get out the door towards the gym. Fight even more (physically) when I'm in there as the weakest guy (I feel like all eyes are on me). And even fight with myself in the day(s) between the workouts with keeping up with a protein focused diet (I almost didn't care for the type of food I put in me before because I would stay skinny whatsoever).

2. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I agree 100% with getting a trainer but respectfully disagree with the hot girl comment (maybe it was tongue in cheek :) ). A female trainer most probably will not be able to spot you as your weights go up and neither will she be lifting as much or more than you so she will not know the challenges/difficulties and guide you through them. Try and get a friendly trainer that you feel comfortable talking to and think can become your friend.

3. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    Good work! If done properly, strength will go up first and then your weight will follow. Just make sure that you're not too focused on gaining weight.....and then you're gaining the wrong type of weight.

4. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    I have just followed my own pace with both eating (chose protein rich meal if possible, three protein shakes [morning, day, an hour or so before sleep] and addition of some fruit or nuts if possible) and working out (focus on getting the exercises as correct as possible and add more weight regularly - if too much, just take a little off and add more next time).
    I have started avoiding fast food if I can, along with sodas (Coke etc.), so that I don't, as you mentioned, add the wrong type of weight! The "eating right" part will probably get better and better as I see more results and get even more focused.

I hope you are right about the weight gain following strength :) I have talked to a friend who was skinny like me but grew very muscular over the years, and he said he didn't really see any significant results the first few months but then suddenly starting gaining a lot of muscles!

I'm pumped for more, this is life changing for me :)

5. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    So I was just randomly scratching behind my leg today and discovered that my leg muscles had grown significantly. I have never "seen" that muscle when I flexed it, now it's clearly showing. And this is just one month after I started.

It's official: I'm not hating the gym anymore, in fact I can't wait to work even harder and eat even more focused now!! :) :) :)

6. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I'm a trainer and trainers are expensive and temporary fix unless you can afford it. Workout partner and crossfit . Cheaper option.

Showing up is also a great option ...

7. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I started going to the gym in September of last year. I try to go 3 or 4 days a week, and I HATE it every time! I'm glad I did it when I'm done, but making myself go is excruciating.

8. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Still hating the gym?

9. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    No! Absolutely not. It's become a normal routine in my week.
    I know exactly which exercise is next up when I'm in there and I just do it. I try to go there as early as possible during the day so I can have most of the machines for myself and get done effectively.

I am much more aware of my own limitations and I now actually have favorite exercises that I look forward too! The favorites are the ones I clearly saw muscle growth with (chest, triceps and calves - areas I never thought would develop!). I also hate some exercises LOL, but that's how life is. The best thing though, was that I could barely do more than 3-4 situps the first day because my lower back couldn't handle it - I put in lower back exercises 2x a week and now I can easily do 15-20 reps and 4 sets without my back giving in first :)

I have doubled (and then some) weight in almost every exercise and that keeps me motivated because I am clearly much stronger now than before and I can't wait to see where I will be in 10 more months! I feel like a superhero when I've been lifting some weights that were heavy to me the week before, but the week after I'm adding some more just to see if I can handle it and find out that I actually can. The strength gain, percentage wise, is nuts.

I also understand that I won't become a Spartan over night so I'm going for persistence over time instead of pushing myself too hard with extreme diets and extreme workouts every day (I don't have time for neither).

It feels kind of good now, because I'm investing in my health and am seeing returns. I enjoy that feeling most of all.

10. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    I met someone today that I hadn't seen for months and he commented on how my arms looked bigger. I'm a skinny dude so that meant a lot!

It's working guys, it's working!!!

11. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    That's awesome. Now it's a lifestyle not a hobby. Congratulations! Jon in Delaware

12. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris

You'll also notice that what you hate about the gym changes. It used to be the exercises. Now it's the other clients.

13. Mbn

Mbn Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    #38 Mbn, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    I really like to hear people progress and motivation.

Keep working hard no need to go heavy or more reps than 10-12.

Maybe last exercise add more reps to rush blood and get this crazy pump.

Full reps and squeezing the muscles for few second at the end of each rep will do wonders.

Form my year of experience I found out many peope actually eat less than they should afraid adding fat.

I was eating clean and I'm 6'2 so my frame needed a lot of calories and exercise to fill up my frame.

2 years ago i decided to take my bodybuilding lifestyle to the next level I contacted one of the industry best gurus and a friend.

Sent him my meal plans and he was shocked, he cut my protein shakes added more carbs a lot actually even before bed time real food less shakes and added morning cardio.

I called him and said you serious bro? All this carbs and I will lean out ? he said not only that you will also get bigger.

Ended up with sub 7% bf and bought new cloths, we planed to compete after he saw my last weekly pics but sadly I injured my shoulder when I was traveling because i used the hotel the smith machine that I believe locked my shoulder n a bad position.

Anyway we will team up again after 3 months if you need any help or plans let me know I will forward you his email and phone number.

He worked with many including Mr. Olympia top 5 and few celebritys.

Good luck.

Mbn