For architects only | Page 5 | FerrariChat

For architects only

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by F SPIDER, May 3, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    More nice work...what CAD program do you use for your 3D illustrations?

I was both a licensed architect and interior designer at one time, gave up last of those 4 yrs ago. I call myself a "Residential designer and interior decorator" now.

2. Sarc

Sarc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    USA
    #102 Sarc, Mar 17, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
    No cad programs. Just a combination of Sketchup and Photoshop with a hand illustrator's eye. I try to give my work the best of both worlds. That is, the precision and expediency of digital with a soft aesthetic inherent in older hand illustrated works. A process that I feel I improve upon with each completed piece.

I doubt I'll ever be licensed. Too many hoops to jump through with the current requirements....I suspect this is a growing problem with my generation (graduated in late 90s when the Masters requirement was added). Besides, I'm having too much fun right now.

3. flnick26

flnick26 Karting

Jan 16, 2009
    Tampa, FL,USA
    Full Name:
    Nick P
    #103 flnick26, Mar 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    How many of you F-CHAT Architects are Ferrari owners? Just Curious

I am 18 years old. I originally wanted to become an Architect a few years ago, but, have since set my sights on becoming a Real Estate Deveopler. My interest in architecture has not died I just wanted to have control over the projects ( an architect friend of mine made that apparent as his client decided to change a vast quantity of a project that was otherwise 95% complete.design wise)

My particular interest is Highrise/commercial residential structures and high end residential.

When desinging a tower. Where do you guys start? I mean, after you determine the scale of the project how do you begin designing the actual building? exterior first? plan first then renderings?

Here are some quick free hand sketches I have done. No formal training. I would like some feed back.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. flnick26

flnick26 Karting

Jan 16, 2009
    Tampa, FL,USA
    Full Name:
    Nick P
    I will post better pics and in a higher quality later.

5. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That's what I guessed, after a more careful look. Even the best CAD program add-ons for soft-edge rendering can't duplicate the real by-hand touch, whether it be for presentation or production work.

The Sketchup can get your perspective correct quickly, though, as can 3D ArchiCAD, which I have.

Licensing...you don't need it. You have too much of a unique and marketable capability. Most with degrees and licenses just end up doing production work on CAD for some big firm. I'd just as soon a have been a big-firm lawyer as have done the same with my architectural career...lawyers get lots more $$$ for the same amount of training and work.

Nicely done sketches. Show a good sense of scale, massing, proportion, perspective, could easily be turned into the real thing. Yes, design is done from outside in when that's called for.

Definitely a product of our times, also. When I was your age, young feller, I was doing the same but mostly of modernist houses...didn't pick up on trad styles and classicism until later on, when those came back strongly in the early 80's.

Architecture: A long, hard road. Think well and carefully before getting on it.

6. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    However, if you get your license, you can use your considerable skills on your own designs...... In the long term it gets old to make beautiful drawings of mediocre architecture.

7. CApg4

CApg4 Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2007
    California
    Full Name:
    Curtis
    #107 CApg4, Mar 18, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
    I'll try to make it short,

I moved to California from Europe with my family when i graduated school. I want to get back into school now and learn drafting and design to become an architect, i really enjoy design and being creative so i decided this would be a good career choice for me... A question to all of those architects, When you finishing schooling and have learned the process of developing a project what's next, where do you go to work with your architectural skills... you get hired by a company being a freelancer or do you get a full time job with a company designing for clients? I never was told this so might as well know now since i am interested in this career.

Thanks,
    Curtis

8. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    #108 TG, Mar 18, 2009
    Great thread.

Great looking house so far, I do hope it becomes a full reality for you.

There's a bay front property close-by that's my ultimate dream estate. I think about it daily. In these past few months, I started drawing again in favor of this specific architectural interest. The main house is roughly 11,000 sq. ft., and originally had a bowling alley in the basement. Instead, I created my ultimate Lair consisting of a semi-pro recording studio, library, workspace, media room, bathroom, wetbar/kitchen, and sunken listening lounge with an aquarium & pool view for walls with a massive skylight. The plan is to also buy the property next door. I will then knock down the main house on that lot, and keep the guest house. I've also designed a pool area that has window elements into the Lair level. I will renovate the house with extensive use of Dark Wood, then Glass, and Concrete whenever applicable.

Without a doubt, mid-century living in California is the inspiration behind it all. Of course, I will make this idea happen at the earliest I have my resources aligned. Intuition alone tells me this plan is two years from happening or earlier.

Plus I'll have 8 garage spots and 3 docks to fill.. :)

9. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Normally, when you start out working at an architecture firm, you start with developing your technical skills first. After that you get to develop design skills, and lastly your client skills. Depending on the firm you choose, this can take years. The higher-end the firm is, the more critical they are and the longer it takes.

10. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Owning a Ferrari is not so difficult. It depends on your life"s priorities and which Ferrari you want.

If you own your own firm, working efficiently is key. For each person you can save in your process, you can drive an exotic.

11. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    My point with finick26 is that he's better off working hard now at what he's very good with and likes doing, while continuing to build up a client base and steady income stream, as opposed to taking non-productive years off to do what's necessary for a license.

In retrospect, I've seen most young architects starting out at big firms get stuck in the tech-skills rut, and any upward progress they make is along the same track. Very, very few end up as pure "designers" or in the "design department".

Yes, seasoned and credentialed big-firm employees that stay will eventually work at an executive level with clients, but this will be in the late design-development, production, and construction phases.

Some very large firms here are notorious for signing on fresh grads or those with a couple yrs. experience, making them big promises, then kicking them out when the project they were hired for is done, work slows down a little, and there's not much else to put them on. Lots of new firms have gotten started that way, some ended up being very successful in their own right.

Rijk, you're lucky to have struck out on your own and built up a successful small design-first "boutique" firm, where there's minimal hierarchy, a prevailing partnership spirit, and commendable work produced.

12. Darryl

Darryl Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    #112 Darryl, Mar 19, 2009
  13. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    Those are cool thanks for sharing.

14. alexkacur

alexkacur Rookie

Apr 21, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    J. Alexander Kacur
  15. rosso dino

rosso dino Karting

Mar 5, 2009
    #115 rosso dino, Apr 25, 2009
  16. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    That is cool. Did you get paid in Ferraris?

17. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Nice.

Post-millineal modernism with plenty of 1950's ambiance and a dash of Wright, reminiscent of original Maranello Ferrari works.

18. rosso dino

rosso dino Karting

Mar 5, 2009
    #118 rosso dino, Apr 28, 2009
  19. rosso dino

rosso dino Karting

Mar 5, 2009
  20. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    #120 F SPIDER, May 2, 2009
  21. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    You sure they built it rightside-up? ;)

22. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Must be the time difference.....

23. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I think so.

24. till.a.fischer

till.a.fischer Karting

Oct 18, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Till Fischer
    #124 till.a.fischer, Aug 28, 2009
    Look what I discovered in my vacation in the Nederlands....

Congratulations to Rijk, it looks really great in the flesh.

It would have been difficult to discuss it just by the early renderings without knowing the site etc. But now in the flesh it's just...right.

Best, Till.

25. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld