For architects only | Page 4 | FerrariChat

For architects only

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by F SPIDER, May 3, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    Thats amazing I hope you get to build it.

2. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Till,

The nice thing from the 3D printer is that you can make multiple models, so the new projects we are doing now have a new iteration printed out every month with the latest updates.

The modeler will take anywhere from 12 to 24 hours to print out a model.

All our data is 3D. From the early design, through the detail drawings.

3. till.a.fischer

till.a.fischer Karting

Oct 18, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Till Fischer
    Thanks Rijk,

very impressive, which CAD-programme do you work with?
    In our office we're usually working 2D. Additonally we have a simplified 3D-file for producing renderings etc. if required.

The sports hall I showed in an earlier post is finished. I'll show fotos in a few days.

Any other architects on FChat to show their work?

Till

4. trickedout101

trickedout101 Rookie

Jul 25, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    Rahul Kapoor
    Hey guys Im in definite need of advice, you see Im just 16 years old right now and I want to become an architect once I earn a degree for it in University. I am eager to know how it is to work on the job, can someone explain their daily work routine? please if someone would kindly do so, I would greatly appreciate it. I can't help but think about my career at this age.

Once again, thanks!

5. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    If you want to become a successful architect, you should not think of it as a job, but a way of living. It is a little bit like Formula 1. You cannot dabble in F1. It will go nowhere. You need to eat, drink and breathe architecture. With that focus and hard work, it is a lot of fun and very rewarding. No day is the same and you are working on real things and not abstract concepts.

6. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    #82 F SPIDER, Jul 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Indy430

Indy430 Karting

Dec 5, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    RJ
    For the architects:

If you ever need any information concerning glass systems for your designs feel free to contact me. I work for a commercial glass contractor in Indianapolis in large contract sales. We have done some pretty cool stuff. We do it all. Curtain walls, storefronts, sun shades, composite panels, etc.... I love that architects are using glass more and more on buildings! Its good job security!

Check out some of our past projects. www.agm-indy.com click on the project gallery tab.

8. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Do you want to try a small funky project?

9. Indy430

Indy430 Karting

Dec 5, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    RJ
    What is it?

10. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    I will PM you, but it will probably be next week.

11. Indy430

Indy430 Karting

Dec 5, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    RJ
    Sounds good...

12. trickedout101

trickedout101 Rookie

Jul 25, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    Rahul Kapoor
    Guess it's a bit late for a reply but thanks for sharing that.

13. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    Just curious how many of you are working in BIM, and what software you've invested in. I'm anxious to make the switch from Autocad, but with 65 stations and two offices I'm concerned about making a smooth transition. I assume Revit would be the smoothest route. Any comments would be welcomed. PM me if you like. Thanks.

14. jahdish

jahdish Karting

Aug 9, 2004
    tampa, fl
    Full Name:
    Paul Dziadosz

I would definitley recommend autodesk revit. I have been using it since before v5 and it has made nice improvements each version. the newest version has added a new render engine that is far superior to the last giving you the ability to produce presentation quality renderings all within the same model that you are producing your sd,dd, or cd package. let me know if you have any questions

15. CGIEGER

CGIEGER Karting

Mar 3, 2006
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Chris Gieger
  16. till.a.fischer

till.a.fischer Karting

Oct 18, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Till Fischer
    #92 till.a.fischer, Aug 20, 2008
    Hello,

short update on my projects:

The sports hall I showed in post 44 ist ready now.
    The first image shows the entrance, the second one is the view from the foyer towards the sports hall (on a lower level).

One building of the housing area introduced in post 46 is shown in the third image.
    The sale of the units will start in October, hopefully we'll have a brisk sale...
    The modell should be completed by then, so I will send pictures. We are working with a more handcrafted model. No rapid prototyping like Rijks example.

Our small discussion here convinced me to do this housing project in 3D CAD. I'm using the 3D for short presentations to show how the volumes are going to look like. This very detailed image was done by a freelancer paid by the client.

How is the progress on your projects?

Regards, Till.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. 72GMC

72GMC Karting

Aug 15, 2006
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #93 72GMC, Aug 22, 2008
    Gosh, I didn't even know this thread existed. I will have to check in more often.

Great posts!

All I have to share right now is my small collection of AutoCAD Ferrari's

18. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I've had ArchiCad...product of European co. Graphisoft...since 2000. It's "cutting-edge" 3D building-modeling pro software, widely used here in the same sense that Mac is widely used in proportion to Windows.

It's great software, designed spicifically for architecture, and more intuitive/user friendly than AutoCad. The dxf. (ArchiCad) to .dwg file conversion and transfer process is pretty seamless now.

Revit is essentially Autodesk's version of ArchiCad.

I'm working again, and doing all my drawing by hand, since the office is AutoCad based and we're busy...no time for the AutoCad relearning process.

Sounds like upgrading to Revit would be the easiest and least expensive, path for your office.

19. JCW Driver

JCW Driver Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2006
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Bronson G.

Our office has been transistioning a few project teams at a time to Revit and it's a heck of a system. Still in progress though.

Of note, it is very processor hungry, and your hardware needs to really be up to snuff. Your IT people will need to be patient with the rollout for sure. You'll want to budget significant dollars for retraining the design and technical staff in seminars, if you've not done so.

Start with a smaller project! One of the harder parts is to get your consultants to go along with it. The key being Structural and Mechanical. Landscape and others are less important.

Perhaps you know all this already, but thought I would throw in my two cents.

BTW, our office is in 2 locations and 325 people. So the transititon will take awhile.

20. JCW Driver

JCW Driver Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2006
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Bronson G.
    #97 JCW Driver, Aug 22, 2008
  21. Sarc

Sarc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    USA
    #98 Sarc, Mar 16, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
    Thank you for the kind words. I'm not an architect, as I have not yet met the requirements (M.A./IDP). I've been a practicing designer for the past 10 years, though I've been doing more and more architectural illustrations recently out of my home studio. www.farquharsonstudio.com

So I guess you could say Gentleman....Designer/Illustrator. :)

22. Sarc

Sarc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    USA
    Thank you, Tom. Unfortunately, the project is destined for a permanent life in the flat file (though I've been experimenting with it a little lately in sketchup for enjoyment)

Paul

23. Sarc

Sarc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    USA
    Remarkable. I can imagine the natural lighting that will be incorporated into the space.