Fog light question | FerrariChat

Fog light question

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by EZORED, Sep 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Attached is a photo of my "EURO"style fog lamp? My car was originally a Italian delivery.
    I know my car has been modified by a previous owner. when I press the fog light switch light in the over head console light position #1 (xenon light with ballast) light up and tracing the wiring, it goes thru a relay and is switched by the pink/black wire which makes sense. position #2 ( normal H3 bulb) is feed by a blue/white? wire. I only have US wiring schematic and I do not see this color wire in the us fog light harness. What could/should be controlling this bulb? I see no means to turn on this light.
    In the stock configuration bulbs 1 & 2 are both H3,

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the fog light switch normaly is only working when the mainlight switch also is switched to "on"

may be a previous owner switched this switch to a "daylight" light?

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  4. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Thanks Steve, mystery solved, the blue wire is flash to pass! If you pull the light stalk gently toward you they flash!
    FYI!!!
    1. flash works when ignition is on with no headlights or driving lights
    2. flash works when ignition is on with driving lights on
    3. flash works when low beams on however the flash is now from the high beams
    4. flash does not work when high beams are on

5. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Another bulb won't illuminate, but the high beam bulbs should glow just a little bit brighter when the flash lever is pulled.

6. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    You are probably right hard to tell in daylight in my garage.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what you understand or what is the difference between driving light and headlight? for me it is the same, but the driving lights could be low beam or high beam.

that is normal, because flash is the same as high beams

flash is always from the high beams

also normal because high beams are flash. but as steve has written, may be the high beam and the fash together makes the bulbs a little bit brighter. this is because you have then double voltage ( so 2 times 12 V - but this then is of course not 24 V :) ) and if the high beam would have a little voltage drop then the flash brings this back.

flash is always high beam ( so in germany, italy I don´t know )

but this all is no answer to the fog light switch question in the overhead console

8. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    My car may have been altered, but when I turn on the front fog light using the over heard console switch, position #1 lights up(see drawing above) When I flash position#2 lights up. however when low beams are on, and I flash, the high beam flashes!

9. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    That brings up another question, My car also has a switch in the overhead console for rear fogs. when I push it(the front fogs must be on) the indicator light in the instrument cluster lights up but I see no difference in the rear of the car. Does anyone know when bulb should light up in the rear tail lights?

10. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    See the "Electrical System" section of your OM -- usually has figures showing which bulb does what. For a euro 512TR (OM 727M/11/92):

Rear lights (page L10):
    Front Lights (page L5):

11. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Thanks steve , my car came with no owners manual, and i was only able to buy a US version. IF ANYONE HAS A EURO VERSION I WOULD LOVE TO BUY IT!