News

Fog light problem

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Alden, Oct 23, 2015.

1. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Bill,
    So its 92% possibility the negative is wrong ! :p And if you ever have problems with the fuseboard, you know where to find a new one !
    Guido

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. afterburner

afterburner Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Same for the front fogs; it's a legal requirement.

4. afterburner

afterburner Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    That's the daytime flash lights function.

The indicator light is on because you have pushed the switch, not because anything else happened, or not.

So they aren't wired up, or there is a break in the connection.

Correct. Basically.

In some countries in Europe, the cars were delivered with daytime flash lights in the location of the front fog lights (different optics: fog = low and wide and often yellow, daytime flash = long and narrow and white).
    In principle those are another set of stalk-pull operated high-beams that only are functional when the pop-ups are down, so that you still have daylight flasher function.
    In foggy countries, fog lights were fitted and would function as daytime flashers via the stalk and as fog lights with the low beams on and the panel switch pressed.
    In that case, there are 2 wires going to the lights, one from the stalk via the daylight flasher relay and the other one via the fog light switch.

theunissenguido likes this.
  5. afterburner

afterburner Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    No, it's not. It's a very pragmatic solution to the daylight flasher issue with pop-up headlights.

WE don't have. Your car may have. But it's not related to the circuit design. It's related mostly to
    - age (bad power connections/lack of proper grounding/deteriorated wires, relays, electric board pcbs)
    - aftermarket additions (improperly installed and/0r overloading a specific circuit = basically hacking into stuff that otherwise works)
    - modifications of the original circuit to isolate (and maybe by-pass) a non-functioning original item.

All I can suggest is to remove all non original stuff and get back to how it should be.
    Then check ALL ground connections.
    If you modify ANYTHING, make sure it's professionally done.

I have removed that from my car after I got it:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Et voilà, stuff worked. As a preventive measure, I installed Guido's properly constructed electric board and have done 150'000km with it, without any electrical trouble.

theunissenguido and MvT like this.
  6. mike32

mike32 F1 Rookie

May 13, 2016
    Uk
    Someone asked for a copy of the complete car wiring diagrams but i cannot find the post

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. afterburner

afterburner Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    "Someone" can PM me if interested in a colorful QV diagram :D

9. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
  10. 89mondial t coupe

Mar 25, 2020
    Full Name:
    Shane kempton
    I had same exact problem with my 89 mondial t.
    You were exactly right. The wire hanging with the protective plastic cover I removed cover and wires a wire from there to the grey wire on the backside of drivers side foglight and boom. Worked with the switch. Both lights on one wire.
    Been chasing relays for weeks and found this thread extremely helpful. Thanx guys.