FOC MICHIGAN DINNER 18TH OF JULY | Page 4 | FerrariChat

FOC MICHIGAN DINNER 18TH OF JULY

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by modmaki, Jul 3, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EastSide328

EastSide328 Karting

Jan 18, 2007
    Gull Island
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I'm not going to be able to make it tonight as I had hoped.

If Igor or Larry show up with all of these women in mention, please be sure to get some pictures Isaac.

I'd like to go to Hell so please let me know how the talk goes tonight.

Have fun all

Jeff

2. modmaki

modmaki Formula 3

Sep 11, 2006
    Michigan,USA
    Full Name:
    Mo Makki
    next time jeff...but what could more important then driving your ferrari and meeting with friends that have ferraris......MO

3. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=grr&product=N0R&loop=yes

It's safe to say that we are free and clear of ALL weather!

Some more water vapor will be moving in in the next 2.5 hours, but nothing serious enough to warrant rain.

THe skew T diagrams look promising as well, on top of the Bufkit forecast model.

Everything is north, and south of where we are :)

see everyone tonight :)

4. Burrino-72

Burrino-72 Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    Novi, MI
    Full Name:
    Igor
    Mo,

Excellent choice of place (Ciao). I would be up for making it a monthly thing if others are interested. Excellent food, servie and atmosphere.

Thanks again for setting it up.

Igor

5. Scuderia Scappaticci

Scuderia Scappaticci Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    NS
    MO, thanks for setting this up. Had a great time.

Isaac, the pictures are great.

6. Marco0355

Marco0355 Karting

Aug 22, 2005
    GTA
    What a great night! It was nice to see everyone again and put some new faces to names. Mo, thanks for making all the arrangements!! Isaac, great pics!

Marco

7. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I think we should appoint Isaac to a new role with the FOC-MI. Official weather forecaster.

8. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Mo, what a night! Thanks for organizing such a great event. The cars were great, the venue was fantastic, the food was delicious, and as always, the company was world class!

It is always great to get together with old friends and meet some new ones as well!

Chris, I'm serious man, you don't pay for drinks for the next 4 events, at LEAST!

Thank you to all who could make it, we should do it again soon!

9. nsxnick

nsxnick Formula 3

Jul 24, 2001
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Nick
    ON A WEEKEND

10. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    LOL You'll have to take that up with Mo! :)

11. Burrino-72

Burrino-72 Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    Novi, MI
    Full Name:
    Igor
    I don't think they would give us the same price ont he weekend. They fed and treated us like rock stars for an Applebee's price.

I can't say enough about the place.

I

12. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    +1!

13. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Sorry I missed this guys, but it's almost impossible for me to do something like this during the week. I'm glad you all had fun! Mo, thanks a lot for putting this together. Jerry.

14. miboxer96

miboxer96 Karting

Jul 9, 2007
    SE Michigan
    Full Name:
    LTN
    Concur with the previous posts....Great job Mo! Thanks a million for allowing me to join. It was a pleasure meeting all of you. I was a little nervous at first, but you all made the experience a very pleasurable one. The Filet was extraordinary! It must've been 12 oz+. Much better than expected. All the other dishes looked very appetizing as well. Can't wait to get together again.

Although I'm afraid that if I keep showing up, the F-car Bug will bite me and I'll find myself itching for one sooner that I had expected.

Great Pics Isaac!

Cheers!
    Larry

15. Scuderia Scappaticci

Sep 21, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    NS

I am glad you had a good time and glad you where able to make it. I created a thread to see if anyone wants to go drive Saturday morning. If you available come on out!!

16. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    lOOKS LIKE FUN GUYS.

MIKE DID YOU GET THAT SHIRT AT CAULEY, i BOUGHT ONE THERE THAT LOOKS LIKE THAT, IT SAYS 2000 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP ON THE OTHER SIDE.

17. Scuderia Scappaticci

Sep 21, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    NS

That wasn't Mike, That is me (Natalino) I think I bought it from speedgear. Mine is the 2001 World Champions shirt.

18. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    Mine is a black polo, I do like the red one especially the collar.

19. modmaki

modmaki Formula 3

Sep 11, 2006
    Michigan,USA
    Full Name:
    Mo Makki
    i had just as much fun planning it...to be honest i just made two phone calls...i've known the owner for many years and good friends always come through..as for doing it on week-end that would be no problem at all...but what made so good and successful is that you came and enjoyed the evening. i hope i did't affend any wives by turnning you on to a good smoke,that always finshies the night just right for me.thanks again for coming......MO

20. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    #96 nthfinity, Jul 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    O ok that makes sense now.

22. EastSide328

EastSide328 Karting

Jan 18, 2007
    Gull Island
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thats nuts Isaac.

At the most , I view the 400 mile Doppler.

You take a college course in deciphering that info ?

23. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    #99 nthfinity, Jul 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Doppler is helpful in knowing near real-time where precipitation is happening
    Infrared is helpful when knowing where there is the highest K index, or storm potential... more heat, higher potential.
    water vapor maps is helpful in knowing if there is enough PW in the atmosphere to warrant being worried about the K index
    front maps tell you the a lot about air parcel movement, what kind of pressure situation exists, which may or may not support raining, or storming conditions
    vertical profiles help in determining if there is any concern over the ground level through 850mb pressure level.. as Td approaches Ta, a precipitate forms. additionally, wind vectors tell a lot about what is happening in the upper atmosphere, right through to the ground... sheers are important tracers of precipitate, depending on additional quantifiers.
    bufkit is a forecast tool while looking at vertical profiles, aka Skew-t diagrams, RAOB soundings, and Goes 8 soundings. Each has their own benefit, and drawbacks at quantifying the active weather for forecast... e.g. a RAOB is only released at 12Z and 0Z at most NWS locations, not necessarily relevant to current conditions.
    .... in a nutshell, of course, there is more information in them, but thats the beginners course ;)

.... in not so many words.... and sometimes poor grammar.

------------------

The next set of data we had to analyze and sort in order to determine what times specifically were ideal for observation with the Green Bank Telescope. This is able to be done was the Tipper, and 100 meter Interferometer. The tipper is an 86 GHz, radiometer that operates at a center frequency of 86 GHz (about 16.5 millimeter wavelength). This device scans at 360 degrees every second, and takes its measurements for every one minute, then integrates it. The tipper measures Opacity, which is a function of the line of Tau. More simply put, the tipper measures how good the seeing is at a given moment. The 100-meter Interferometer is a pair of small radio telescopes 100 meters apart so as to match the diameter of the GBT (Green Bank Telescope). What this measures is when a radio signal from a geocentric satellite is in phase with itself at both telescopes, when it matches.

What the next step from this is to determine what is ideal for observing at high frequencies. This was previously determined during our teacher work during the summer. This was when Tau is under .1, and Phase is under 300 microns. Also, to be sure that the same weather conditions are not present during poor observing times, a list was compiled initially at a minimum of twice as bad as what is considered good observing. This would be at least 2 Tau, and at least 600-micron variance in Phase. The problem with this became that there were to few data sets in comparison to the good observing data sets, so we had changed poor observing minimum requirements to be no less then 1.2 Tau, and no less then 400 micron variance in Phase.....
    Due to the sensitivity of the research, we needed a variance within matched dates of no greater then .007 days, which is just over 10 minutes in length.

Also in correspondence with the good, and poor observing time periods, we the input data into two categories, one with the vertical atmospheric data found during good observing times, and the vertical atmospheric data found during poor observing times. Once this data was input, then within each column, it was averaged, and a range from the least to the greatest numeral was found. What this would show is if there could be any trends within the data, we could see an average trend, which is depicted in good, or poor observing. Also, we could see how accurate a trend could be.
    -----------------

There was a lot more that was involved in doing this... but this is the most simple way I think it can be described
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. ferrari308gtsi

ferrari308gtsi Karting

Mar 24, 2004
    Palm Coast,FL
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thanks Mo for the invite and GREAT time. Great to see everyone and what a GREAT meal. Trying to juggle a few things so I might up with everyone in the morning. Hope to see everyone.

Gary