Flexi - Wings are the hot topic today | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Flexi - Wings are the hot topic today

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, May 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    This whole set of affairs got me to thinking::

Article 3.8 of the Technical Regulations dictate that all components influencing a car’s aerodynamic performance – such as front and rear wings – must be “rigidly secured to the entirely sprung part of the car” and “remain immobile in relation to the sprung part of the car”.
    AND
    FIA “reserves the right to introduce further load/deflection tests on any part of the bodywork which appears to be (or is suspected of) moving whilst the car is in motion”.

Maybe this is why all those little tiny areo parts, such as what the barge boards have morphed into, are black and hard to see moving at speed.

2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Poor Christian. Standards?? How long since your last title Horner. Years yet you and Helmut have kept your jobs. Your 2nd driver is roulette wheel of waste system.

3. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    The F1 Technical Regulation is only a regulatory text like the others.
    It is its use that defines it.
    We have to realize that it is rigorously applied when Mercedes' interests are at stake.
    Nothing paranoid here.

4. Top speed

Top speed Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joonas
    We will see if the FIA takes a look at those Merc front wings too (as they should). This is all just a way to try to hurt your competition with extra costs; like Binotto said, barely any affect on lap time with rear wings. The biggest influence this whole school girl level arguing between merc and rbr does, is screwing over the smaller teams. The financial effects are biggest on teams like Alfa.

classic308 and Bas like this.
  5. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    classic308, stavura, Bas and 2 others like this.
  6. RobertJRB

RobertJRB Karting

Feb 8, 2012
    Good reaction by RB. If the FIA acts like they should do it will cost Mercedes more than they gained. When the FIA doesn’t it gives RB and the other non Mercedes teams ammunition to take on this unfair ruling.

SimCity3, stavura, Bas and 1 other person like this.
  7. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Dont spend to much Mr Horner on those rear wings, you have a budget to consider.

8. DF1

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/31521384/brawn-doubts-flexi-wing-protest-successful

Formula One's managing director of motorsport, Ross Brawn, says he would be "amazed" if a protest against Red Bull's rear wing at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix is successful, arguing the FIA has been consistent in its application of rules regarding flexible body work.

The legality of Red Bull's rear wing was questioned by title rivals Mercedes during the Spanish Grand Prix weekend, with video evidence showing the entire structure of the wing flexing downwards on the straights, providing an aerodynamic advantage.

Article 3.8 of Formula One's technical regulations says all components influencing a car's aerodynamic performance must be "rigidly secured to the entirely sprung part of the car" and "remain immobile in relation to the sprung part of the car".

Red Bull's rear wing has passed the necessary static load tests carried out during scutineering under Articles 3.9.3 and 3.9.4, but rivals argued that the video footage from Spain is proof that the wing is in contravention of Article 3.8.

The FIA responded by issuing a technical directive after the Spanish Grand Prix agreeing that "such deformations ... could be deemed to contravene the provisions of Article 3.8", while notifying teams that new load deflection tests would be introduced on June 15.

However, the timing of the introduction of the new tests, which was delayed to give smaller teams time to adapt their designs, means Red Bull's original design passed scrutineering in Monaco and will do so again at next weekend's Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

Ahead of the Monaco Grand Prix, Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff called the technical directive "half-baked", saying the delay in the introduction of the new tests created "a legal vacuum and leaves the door open for protests".

He went on to warn that a rejected protest could end up in the International Court of Appeal, creating a "messy situation" that may leave the result of the race in doubt for several weeks.

ESPN understands Mercedes, McLaren and Aston Martin all believe their wings are already in compliance with the new tests, while at least six teams, possibly seven, will need to make modifications.

The Azerbaijan Grand Prix is a likely target for a protest as a flexing rear wing structure has the potential to offer big gains on the circuit's long straights.

Red Bull's rear wing has been spotted flexing downwards when it is under load at high speeds.
    Asked if he was concerned about the prospect of protests leaving the result of the Baku race in limbo, Brawn said: "No, I don't think so.

"I think the FIA have been pretty consistent with their approach," he added. "I'd be amazed if the stewards go against the opinion of the FIA."

Brawn, who worked for Benetton, Ferrari, Honda and Mercedes before joining F1, said the FIA had faced similar challenges in the past.

"I think this is probably flexi rear wing version 27 [in Formula One's history]," he added.

"In 40 years of motor racing, I've been through this many times.

"I can remember [Williams technical director] Patrick Head jumping on our front wing in parc ferme because he considered that it wasn't stiff enough.

"He wanted to demonstrate to Charlie [Whiting, FIA race director] that it wasn't stiff enough, so he actually stood on it and bounced up and down to demonstrate how flexible it was.

"There are a set of FIA tests and that's the only way we have been able to determine the limits of what you can do.

"If you pass the tests and some [rival] teams don't like it, the FIA can look at it, say 'fair point' and stiffen the tests and do different tests, so it's perpetual.

"I honestly don't believe there is any case for going in a different route to solve the problem, because I don't know how you quantify it.

"One person's view of it being too flexible is another person's view of it being OK, and that's why we have the tests.

"If you put a mechanism in there or a hinge in there, I agree that's not correct.

"But within the normal compliance of the structure, I don't see a problem."

SimCity3 and ingegnere like this.
  9. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet

Indeed, it’s not like Mercedes which has probably already found a parade to the budget cap.

Bas likes this.
  10. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Is this Brawn’s way of telling the disgruntled teams to not even bother with a protest and that they’d just be wasting their time?

jpalmito and Bas like this.
  11. DF1

Seems his opinion. He is well experienced but I dont think Toto cares. If Mercedes protest one thinks they would do with knowledge of what the outcome has success for and RedBull who also now threaten front wing of Mercedes. Such F1 political fun lol

12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Maybe protests should be done like in NFL.
    You get an allocation of protests (say 3 per year)
    You can only protest if you have a protest allocation.
    If you protest and win, you get the protest back and can use it again.
    If you lose, you lose that allocation.

Bas and ingegnere like this.
  13. DF1

No that would be like NASCAR. Too many rules. LOL

14. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Seems like the FIA installed markings on the rear wings of all the cars in Baku to visually check the bending.
    So the cars are legal, but they have to find something else because Mercedes isn’t happy with this..
    Reminds me the permanent checking about the Ferrari engine in 2018.
    Fia shame on you !!:mad:

classic308 likes this.
  15. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Let me guess...no action on the front wing flex still?

jpalmito likes this.
  16. DF1

Team principal Andreas Seidl said: "From our point of view, if we see deflections again like we have seen in Barcelona, there needs to be action here this weekend. How this action will look like in the paddock, I don't know yet."

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Lando Norris, McLaren MCL35M

Photo by: Erik Junius

Seidl has welcomed updated guidance from the FIA regarding the governing body's stance on rear wing flexibility, but is clear his team remains unhappy that the new tougher pull-back tests are not already in place.

"We're happy with all the actions FIA has put in place with the technical directive, even with the update of the technical directive," he said.

"The only thing we are still not happy with, and that's the point of the discussion, is why do you let teams that benefited already for several races, with a car that has not been in the regulations, to keep using these devices."

And while it is impossible for wings to be totally rigid, so some flexing needs to be allowed, Seidl says that when it comes to judging what is and is not allowed, then the FIA should look at intent of designs.

"It is not just the deflection that you see, but in the end what is important is for the FIA to look into how does this deflection get created," he explained.

17. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    FIA should look at all the front wings too along with the vibrating shark fin of the MB. As far as this race is concerned if the cars pass scrutineering under the current regs then so be it. If the FIA bend (pun intended) to MB’s will then they will lose what little credibility they have left.

ingegnere and jpalmito like this.
  18. DF1

19. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Red Bull has complained about Ferrari engines in the past, no?

20. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Is there a better driver than Perez and available ?

George Russell is possibly available for next season

21. DF1

Yes among other things. Toto has every right to bring up an issue. RedBull are not one to hesitate. Horner on camera today was absurd. World ending cry baby lol

william likes this.
  22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Maybe Christian Horner is jealous of the political weight he thinks Toto Wolff enjoys at the FIA?

23. DF1

I like to see actual proof of this 'cabal'. If anything is true Mercedes and its domination should give them less power as we have had little competition. Horner is angry to me because Toto is a bit smarter/savvy etc. I want to see utter proof FIA is in the pocket of Mercedes. This is rumor and conspiracy so easily arrived at when your left big toe hurts :)

william likes this.
  24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    We do have conspiracy theorists in F1 too !

25. DF1

I know teams have an influence level. I dont sense Mercedes is paying bribes etc. Possibly they are better and influencing the agenda. Ferrari are accused of this in the past. Its politics. I dont sense for myself Todt is a Mercedes agent at all.

william likes this.