flat plane crankshaft on v12 engine | FerrariChat

flat plane crankshaft on v12 engine

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Marouan Benomar, Feb 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marouan Benomar

Feb 24, 2021
    i heard that's not possible to put flat plane crankshaft on v12 engine but i think is possible. some people say is not possible and others say is possible. i'm lost do you have any answers? if you say is not posible can you tell me why? and if you say is possible can you give me some examples? because i'dont think ferrari use cross plan crankshaft on v12 engines
    and thank you

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Feb 24, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    It's not necessary (nor desirable) to use a flat-plane crankshaft in a 12 cyl engine with two banks of cylinders. The "advantage" that the flat-plane crankshaft gives in a 90 deg V8 engine is that it results in alternate bank firing of the cylinders -- so the time between each exhaust pulse entering the (shared) exhaust manifold in each bank is the same. The non-flat-plane crankshafts that Ferrari uses in all its 12 cyl engines also gives the same desirable alternate bank firing of the cylinders (but they are not "cross-plane" crankshafts because the crank throws are grouped 60 deg apart, not 90 deg apart).

afterburner likes this.
  3. Marouan Benomar

Feb 24, 2021
    OOH!! so there is another type of crankshaft this is intresting, but it looks like flat crankshaft has some downsides on the v12 that why ferrari doesn't use it. do you know what the name of this type of crankshaft that ferrari uses?
    and thanks for your fast reply

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Can't say that I've ever heard a specific name associated with the crankshaft configuration that Ferrari uses in their 12 cyl engines -- here's a pic of the TR crankshaft (but I believe all the 12 cyl F use the same general crankshaft shape as far as the throw positions are concerned):

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Another factor that Designers have to consider when selecting a crankshaft design/firing order is the peak loading on the main bearings -- using the flat-plane crankshaft in a 90 deg V8 engine has a bit of a negative in this regard so the bottom end structure has to be stronger than the bottom end structure of a similar hp cross-plane crankshaft 90 deg V8 engine.