"Flashing" Under the Door Sills | FerrariChat

"Flashing" Under the Door Sills

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Mondial 1985, Jan 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mondial 1985

Mondial 1985 Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Mark Alan Day
    Hey guys, that piece of aluminumn "flashing" (or molding) beneath the door sills (has the cutouts in the front and rear for the jack); is that piece supposed to be screwed in place or rivited? Mine appears to be both (yeah, it was worked on befor I got it) and I haven't been able to see any others up close enough to tell.
    Thanks

2. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    I wondered the very same thing, since mine is riveted and screwed on as well! I believe it is supposed to be riveted the whole way along.

3. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Factory is all rivets but they brake. One respected tech replaced all rivets on a customers car as he regularly pulls the panels off and beats them straight again and reinstalls. Plus, if you do rivets each time I believe a bit of rivet gets left inside the frame rail each time you drill them out. I don't listen to me so mine are riveted back on. Except for one that broke.

There are threads about people working on them and some fabricating new ones. I straigtened mine, filed off rounded bottom portions and used gun bluing to turn the fresh aluminum black to match. A suggestion I got around here somewhere.