Fitness questions. Ask them here! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Fitness questions. Ask them here!

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by DrStranglove, Jul 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    JR, when the Marines do PFT pull ups are they allowed to use leg movement?

2. iLikeTelevision

iLikeTelevision Karting

Apr 12, 2008
    Antartica
    Full Name:
    John
    I used to take some of my exercises from that site. I found alot of the information very helpful.

3. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS

No. Leg movement has to be at a minimum. Back in the day we could do a maneuver called a "kip." A kip was a leg thrust forward similar to the movement on a swing set when we were all in kindergarden. It helped move you up to the bar. That was decided to be a cheat so now, no kipping or any other leg movement.

When they got rid of it, all of a sudden about 80% of the DIs at Parris Island could no longer do 20 pulls like they are supposed to!

4. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I used to be able to do over 20 dead hang pull ups when I was rock climbing regularly now I can only manage 12 or 13.

5. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    If your goal is to lean up and look solid you need to priorities.

We all like taking vacations and relaxing, but using this time to get in shape is the best vacation a person can invest in. Take two weeks of work and spend 3 hours morning 3 hours evening mixing it up from weights, running, cycling, yoga, aerobics.

In order to look lean you "must" create demand through weight lifting and combination of aerobic activity. Muscle weights 3 times more than fat and burns "slight" more calories than fat. They key is lean protein diet and portions 65% protein 25%carbs 10% fat. Eat the right calories and reduce sugar-fat-bad carb calories, and minimum 8 hours sleep.

6. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    What do you do when you don't have time to cook meals for lunch, or dinner most of the time? What can I eat for lunch at work, I can't imagine pulling out the George Forman and grilling some chicken for lunch. Although I have thought about it.

7. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    Tuna fish out of the can and yogurt, its simple easy and inexpensive and packed with protein. I also would recommend protein bars you can buy cases of them from costco. 24 hours in a day it takes me 10 minutes to prepare chikean cooks 1 hour in the oven.

8. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Cook for the week on Sunday or even Saturday. I usually grill up my lunch for the week on Saturday. Sunday I usually cook my dinner.

Separate in to ziplock baggies. Grab the bags each morning and put in whatever you'd like to carry it in (I'm a plastic bag kind of guy) and walk out the door.

9. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    That's not a bad idea. Thanks I never thought about that. Chicken doesn't keep for a week though does it? I thought it was a 3 day maximum storage?

10. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I put all the ziplocks in the freezer and thaw the next day's food in the fridge the night before.

11. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Did my first ever 4 mile run last night. 54:30. Okay, so I ran and speed walked. Hoping to increase my endurance and knock around 14 minutes off that time. I run at 6 mph and walk at 4 mph.

12. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I heard one of the NASCAR guys (Mark Martin?) say he would ride an exercise bike inside a sauna and play video games at the same time. it was the closest he found to actually being in the car-heat, cardio, reflexes, stamina.

Also saw a clip of Andy Pilgrim running on the treadmill with his driving suit on to get used to the heat.

what would b-mak do?

13. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    As long as it's cooked it does. I just ate 2 chicken breast on Monday I had left over from the previous Sunday (8 days). Still tastes good and haven't killed over yet. But raw, yea, not the best bet.

I buy the big packs (10-12 skinless/boneless chicken breasts) and put 2 breasts in each baggie.

14. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    How much cardio should I be doing a day? I'm trying to lose weight with diet and exercise. I'm currently 230 lbs taking in about 1500 to 1800 calories a day with 0 trans fats and as much protein I can get in naturally (don't want to do shakes). I'm alternating between the eliptical machine, treadmill, and stationary bike. I'll do two of them everytime I go to the gym with some light weight/ more rep training. I go to the gym 4 - 5 days a week and want to get down to 170 to 180.
    All help is appreciated.

15. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    Its a matter of keeping your heart rate at 80% max for a minimum of 30 minutes idealy 45 and High intensity interval training integrated in the work out. For me I like to mix it up stairs before or after 5 mile run.

You only put on the weight that is not used for energy. You can lose weight by doing obsolutely nothing and not eating but your body fat composition is the best indication of your health. For your diet portion it out 4 meals 65% protein 25% carbs 10% fat. You need 3 gym days for weights upperbody one day running next day followed by lower body then running then again upper body save the rest for martial arts, aerobics or other activities besides weights.

16. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    If you're training at the gym the best thing to do is intervals. If they're newer machines they should have an interval option on them that will have you going at ~60% max for the majority of the time that will kick it up to 80-90% for a few intervals.