First trouble with upright rows... | FerrariChat

First trouble with upright rows...

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by TexasF355F1, Sep 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Had the most odd thing happen yesterday that has never happened before.

Went to do an upright row with the 40lb barbell. And my left wrist just couldn't take the angle. I've done them before and never had an issue. It felt like my wrist felt like it was inbetween just adjusting itself (popping) and coming out of socket.

I put it up and went to do abs and came back just before I left. Grabbed the 30lb barbell and while I still had a bit of a strange feeling I was able to do a few. I was still worried about hurting myself that I just put it up and left. Just very strange. I'd hate to think I couldn't do these anymore. I think next time I'll try it with an EZ-Bar so my wrist is at a different angle and see if that helps.

2. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    Happens to me from time to time. Just lay off it for a while and if you do it again just use less weight.

3. justhrowit

justhrowit Formula 3

Feb 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Jay D.
    Take a slightly wider grip and keep those elbows HIGH. Should alleviate some stress on your wrists.

4. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    Most strains are a result of a muscle compensating for a weaker one.

I would do hammer curls bring your forarms-wrist up to par as well as closed fist pushups. During upright movement point your elbows out yet parallel don't drop them down use a one foot grip if you go closer it could cause more tention.

or it could be you need a week of!

5. mwhite

mwhite Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Matthew White
    You may like upright rows now and the wrist is just the beginning. This movement, as you get older, will aggravate your shoulder too. The design of the shoulder girdle doesn't allow for much error in movement. When you combine this with a movement that potentially over rotates the humorous (upper arm), you can easily cause an injury. Use it sparingly combined with other shoulder exercises that can be more kind to your shoulder joint (shoulder press, lateral front and rear delt raises, dumbbell and or barbell to name a few) for the shoulder and you will stay healthy and functional for a long time.

MA in Exercise physiology

Matt

6. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Thanks. I do hammer curls and all the other types at least once a week (I usually do one or two body parts per work out day). I also work my wrists and forearms at least 2 times a week, they're coming along nicely.

As for the week off, with the storm, it'll be at least a week before I get back to the gym. And I plan on start an entire new routine, so sort of works out I guess.

Thanks for the detailed info. I always do them slowly as to make sure if I feel a pain anywhere I can stop immediately. And lateral and side raises, as well as the rear delts and shoulder press are all a staple of my routines.

Thanks.

7. carsinxs

carsinxs Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2007
    On The Fence
    Full Name:
    H
    With this movement you don't want to "grab" the bar with a tight grip. It tends to make one want to lift the bar/wt higher than what is proper and necessary for exercising the traps and delts by engaging the extensor muscles of the forearms. Let the bar hang on curled fingers only. This allows for a strick isolation of the movement and will solve your wrist problem.

8. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Haven't heard that one, but I'll pay closer attention next time. I'm pretty sure I keep my grip loose.

9. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    With an upright row the first major muscle action is the biceps. There is no need to perform an upright row if the goal is to increase the strength/size of the upper trapezius and levator scapulae musculature. The last middle to last action of an upright row is the raising of the shoulder to the ears. This can be performed by doing a shrug only. There is no additional benefit to the upper trapezius/levator scapulae musculature by lifting the weight from your waist to the top of your chest. Just do shoulder shrugs and decrease the likelihood of wrist problems.

10. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    Upright rows is a heavy compound exercise and involves more than one muscle group when lifting "moderate-heavy". Yes I do feel the traps doing this but the main reason for a bodybuilder to practice this exercise is to isolate the Pecs from the Delts and indirectly involve the trap and upper back muscles although the bicep is involved. If the lift motion is above the head your involving your trap more and reducing isolation. The lift is actually just below the chin this gives a real burn on the trap when held momentarily.

11. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    #11 LetsJet, Sep 17, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
    Edit:

I use an ez curl bar to do bent over rows. I really don't do upright rows anymore.

Also, how high are you raising the bar? There are many ways to cause injury with incorrect or over extending the movement.

12. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005

Make sure to bend your knees & black straight and bringing the bar to your belly not your chest. Assuming your doing it straight grip not underhand. I prefer straight bar on the bend overs as I can compound the weight.

13. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    knees bent, b(l)ack straight and to the belly........ I prefer the ez curl as I can feel a better contraction and it's more comfortable. It's not so much about the amount of weight for me as the form and letting gravity work its magic.

14. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    As Fpassion said just below my chin. I really feel it in my upper pec region, and not in my traps.