First-time Ferrari owner with Testa shifter question | FerrariChat

First-time Ferrari owner with Testa shifter question

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Jay535, Jul 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
    Hey everyone,

I’ve lurked on this forum for a few years but finally got my first F-car last week. It’s a 1988 Mideast-spec Testarossa, red on cream hide, 16,000km (~10k miles), Tubi exhaust and is in excellent condition. It’s my childhood dream car, and now I have it. : )

My other cars are a 1976 Alfa Romeo Spider and my daily driver, a 1999 Porsche 911.

I maintain my own cars and hope to do the same with the Testarossa. When I select 3rd I sometimes get 5th, so I’m going to put the car on the lift later and see if I can work out how to fix that.

But I have a question for you all: in neutral, is it normal for the side-to-side movement of the gearstick to feel a little balky at all temps? It’s not objectionable, just un-smooth. Does something maybe need a clean and re-lube in the shifter mechanism?

Many thanks!

Jay

(Here’s a pic)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    would be great if you could fill out your profile. thank you

so the shifter then is in the shifter gate 3 but the gearbox in 5? this normaly never can happen

what you understand under balky? so a little stottering or the complety way left and right hard? does the lever goes back alone in neutral central position?

Rose Red likes this.
  3. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
    Thanks for the reply. I updated my profile.

Yes, shifter in gate 3 but gearbox in 5. I think the linkage between shifter and transmission just needs adjusting.

The lever self-centres. It’s just that when I wiggle it back and forth in neutral, it feels less like a rifle bolt and more like stirring a bucket of gravel.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #4 Steve Magnusson, Jul 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    Never hurts to lubricate the ends of shaft 23 that rotate in the half-bores between the castings 24 & 26. Maybe just by removing the shift gate you could get enough access to spray some lubricant (using the typical spray can extension tube) into the right areas without needing to disassemble things (but I've never done this myself):

https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/diagram/ferrari/testarossa-tr-90/035-gearbox-controls

But mis-selecting gears can be related to the two Silent Bloc flexible bushings 36 being worn out and not accurately transferring the rotational motion from shaft 23 to shaft 6.

peteficarra, Llenroc and Jay535 like this.
  5. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
    I understand. Thanks so much Steve!!

It only happens when downshifting from fourth. If I go from 4 to neutral then move the lever all the way to the left and back again before selecting third, I get third. So it does lead me to think that something between the lever and the transmission is misadjusted or has too much play. I will investigate. How do you access #26 anyways?

6. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Your shift shaft is probably loose. Happened to me after the first time I put my motor back in.

Jay535 and moysiuan like this.
  7. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
    Where do you think it may be loose? Near the shifter or nearer tha trans? Thanks.

8. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
    The motor was out 500 miles ago, so this seems a likely culprit.

9. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
  10. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    That’s what was loose on mine.

Jay535 likes this.
  11. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
    That’s what I suspected. I’ll check it out. Thanks!!

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what was loose on yours? picture number please. I think no. 10 or 32. or 28 is worn out

13. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    The nut on 25 or 26 keeps 10 from moving. So if you move the shifter to the right, it loosens, then to the left it tightens. Or vice versa.

14. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    but this adjustment screws you never open when you take the engine out

15. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
    I think Veedub is correct. The bushes look solid and #28 was visibly misaligned. Some fiddling improved things, but not enough. It now mis-selects gears only occasionally on the 4-3 shift instead of every time. Needs a teensy bit more tweaking.

It was my first time wrenching on the car. I was impressed with the beefy undertrays! My reference point is Porsche plastic.

Thanks for the help!

16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    28 is a silentblock and not can be missaligned when putting in. only the rubber could get worse and so the inside metal seem then to be missaligned, but this you not can adjust. so it is not a missalingment in my eyes

17. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    My BBi was doing something similar and it turned out to be the selector pawl #14 in the TR diagram being loose and having rotated on the shaft #6.
    For some reason, Ferrari didn't see fit to put a spline or slot on shaft 6 to hold the pawl. Couple that with the mechanical advantage of the shifter over that small piece and thanks can happen.

18. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
    I meant that the shifter rod was misaligned. Not the bushing itself, but the sleeve it goes into, was not aligned with the rod going to the gear selector.

turbo-joe likes this.