First Tack day in a California T | FerrariChat

First Tack day in a California T

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by M go Blue, Apr 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. M go Blue

M go Blue Rookie

Mar 28, 2020
    Foster City, CA
    Full Name:
    eli rapaich
    I just purchased a 2017 California T w/ the handling package and looking to track it soon (Thunderhill), does anyone have suggestions or thoughts on what I can expect with this car? I have tracked numerous cars, but never a Ferrari. I have had the entire car sealed with expel and then ceramic coated as a way to help protect the paint.
    Any experiences or do/don'ts will be appreciated.

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    If you are handy go through a typical track tech sheet. If not download a tech sheet from say speed ventures.com and have your mechanic go though the items. I would check lugbolt torque after every session, pay attention to any brake fade and go have fun. If the brake fluid is a year old + I would flush it. Stock brakes do not do well on any car and you 1st see the shortcomings as a long pedal and brake fade as fluid boils. Start with 50%+ life left on pads.

tomc and Qvb like this.
  3. peppe siciliano

peppe siciliano Karting

Dec 6, 2017
    Full Name:
    Peppe
    I tracked mine a few times, it's OK but don't expect supercar performance.
    It's to soft and heavy, I had to turn the traction off to get anywhere and turn in a bit early as the front complains when you ask a lot from it.
    Be warned driven hard you will kill the tyres.
    Enjoy

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. M go Blue

M go Blue Rookie

Mar 28, 2020
    Foster City, CA
    Full Name:
    eli rapaich
    Thanks for the info, I do not expect it to run like a 488, but rather more like it is designed, a beautiful GT cruiser that will put smiles on your face on the occasional track day. I appreciate the input and will let you know how it turns out, we are heading to Thunderhill on May 25. Should be fun.

5. DougDish

DougDish Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Just one more item of note. Lug bolts to be checked when cool so torquing should be done just prior to going on track when the tire/wheel temps are coolest. Have fun, stay safe.

Doug

tomc likes this.
  6. M go Blue

M go Blue Rookie

Mar 28, 2020
    Foster City, CA
    Full Name:
    eli rapaich
    Thanks, I will post afterward.