488 - First service question | Page 7 | FerrariChat

488 First service question

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by OldDog, May 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Not a word of complaint about the 488 when Shadow owned it. Profusely over the top with praise. Now, like a man jilted and obsessed by his girl friend, cannot contain his incessant hate about Ferrari and all their cars with the exception of the Pista, the one he owns.

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #152 Shadowfax, Jun 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    I've always called it exactly how it is with all my cars - have no reason to lie. I can also own any car I want....as I do. The 488 was no different - my joys were expressed along with my disappointments, Same case now with Pista if you read my posts in the correct context which I wrote them in. I will leave those who know me personally to vouch for my passion and honesty....a few who are members on this board. But by all means feel free to embellish.

3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

Your car should be able to sit for over a week without battery tender. Try it at home first. My 458 Spider gets used often enough I don’t have it on tender much. It has a battery that is years old and starts easily even if sat a week off tender.

4. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I am not questoning your integrity or passion. It is your impartiality and objectivity, the rarest of all human traits, that might be in question precisely,due to your passion.

Ash Patel likes this.
  5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Coincid I don't know how to answer this one as we don't know one another personally or have driven with one another to get a proper handle on how our preferences sit. Btw when does your F8 arrive? Meanwhile please feel free to question away....no hard feelings regardless. These are all great cars anyway - just some are better than others.

Boomhauer and Ash Patel like this.
  6. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Delivered from the factory July 2. Should arrive mid - end August.

7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I'm sure it will be stunning and can't wait for the pics! F8 is a very beautiful car in the right color and spec.

8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The use of the term " better" to describe the difference amongst super cars is perhaps inappropriate. I would suggest that a more accurate description would be " different". McLarens offer a different aesthetic and driving experience to a Ferrari which in turn is different than a Lamborghini. They each possess their own individual personas and intrinsic appeals. No wrong choices.

JohnTz likes this.
  9. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Dealer will be finishing the wheels in high gloss black.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Gh21631, mdrums and scott61 like this.
  10. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    My wife is seriously into cars...always has been. Yes I am very lucky...31 years of marriage. She drives a Porsche Panamera GTS. She would not even consider the bas model. She wants the power, the suspension height setting and the sporty GTS looks.

11. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I do agree...but I can leave my. ar sit for 3 days and when trying to start it you can tell there is some struggle. I have a battery back up jump start pack. the last thing I want to do heading out while on vacation is tell the wife...hold on while I get on my knees and take apart the passenger footwell and jump start the Ferrari!
    This is absolutely insane....you would think a big car manufacture would not have battery drain issues in today's world.

scott61 likes this.
  12. 355Aussie

355Aussie Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    George
    Well I just got in the car to go to Ferrari for the check engine light issue and guess what happened?? I left home got to a set of traffic lights then all these lights and beeps started happening and I broke down in the middle of the intersection!!!!! Thta is a horrible feeling and quite dangerous. Car was in park mode when everything shut down and couldnt do anything. Further updates to follow!!

13. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Please retain a lawyer if the dealer is giving you any, I mean any, slightest hint of BS. This is a complete malpractice and negligence by Ferrari resulting in damage and easily foreseenable damage when you try to resell the car with these kind of service records. Ferrari will have a hard time in court to prove their computer decision not to change engine oil did not result in any damage, let alone they also have to defend why and how they have violated the warranty.

Please keep us updated. Document everything in writing and in your own memo.

I never would devote anything in a so called dealer relationship when it is not reciprocated and I am just misassumed as a dumb rich person.

14. 355Aussie

355Aussie Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    George
    It probably has nothing to do with the oil change. This is like the icing on top of the cake that not only did it come out of service 2 weeks ago without an oil change due to the new predictive maintenance BS but now it breaks down on top of this. Certainly breaking down in the middle of an intersection in peak hour traffic is not a position I would like to see anyone in. This morning was horrible. Maybe I am meant to just keep it in the garage and look at it. Admire its beauty but DO NOT DRIVE IT!!!

15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yup totally insane.

Unfortunately the 488 is unreliable.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; I have no idea how they've been getting away with it for so long - truly beggars belief and raises way more questions than answers. It's incredible to even imagine in this day and age a brand is able to provide a car to market at such a high price point that doesn't properly work. I avoid thinking about it as it does your head in.

16. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    That really was dangerous to lose the control of the car in an intersection. It will be Ferrari's burden to explain why changing the oil would not have prevented the engine issue with the beginning of cel. 11k km, no oil change needed by the predictive program. Just retarded, especially when it is so called "predictive". I am sure it failed to predict you will have the subsequent event.

17. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Our blind loyalty with difficulty to change old belief and habit.

18. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    this is getting old, buddy. This thread is about Ferrari violating warranty.

Shadowfax likes this.
  19. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

That's a **** mate. Not only dangerous but also embarrassing. Bet you its the Battery mate. Buy a starter and never leave home without it.

Here is my 2 cents on it. Ferrari Australia SHOULD CHANGE batteries when our car arrives. We are very far away with transit at lease 60 days plus. The factory battery is crap to start of with and most likely a few cells will be damaged by the time the car is here. Then Ferrari dealer will only to up the charge but the battery can never go back to 100%. DEMAND a new battery ! I did at the first service. BTW you still will have the issue however , get a starter

IloveGT and Shadowfax like this.
  20. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    When NSX first appeared, Ferrari started to get their sh it together. Now with so many competitions around, it really baffles me why Ferrari is able to allow itself to get to this low.

21. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Hey, how did it go? please update us what your dealer says about the whole bs.

22. 355Aussie

355Aussie Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    George
    Ooops sorry. What wqas found was the battery lead on the negative terminal was not secured properly and was literally coming off and on. Quite bizzare.
    I also had my oil tested and the results found it was good but definately needed to be changed. The oil test also found that there was dirt in the engine which lead to air filter probably needing to be changed but thqats due in 3 years time according to Ferrari LOL!!!

23. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    glad it's the battery! enjoy the car as much as you can and should!!