488 - First service question | Page 6 | FerrariChat

488 First service question

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by OldDog, May 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Mine is post 2/19 and I bought it because loved the color. I don't care about marques at all and in fact while owning pretty much every brand I stayed away from Ferrari because stories I heard from friends experiences with them. Not on car itself but on the buying experience and Ferrari we don't give a **** about our customers attitude. Funny how true now I have found that. Am torn because I actually like the car but part of me wants to dump it, if my car starts getting those things like sticky button issues will dump. Already putting up with substandard radio, hvac and a battery that may just die on me for no reason. As for service what I feel the least the dealerships that sold you the car using lies should do is perform the service at their cost. They should not profit on their lies

Shadowfax and mdrums like this.
  2. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Why no desire to disassemble/reassemble all hard parts and spent thousands in the process? Ferrari right of passage don't you know.

scott61 likes this.
  3. 355Aussie

355Aussie Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    George
    Its not a money issue to pay for an oil change or any other fluid change. Its the aftersales customer service and lies you have to deal with. Yesterday the Aftersales person from Ferrari Australia asjked if my local service dealer had disccussed and given me a document from Ferrari detailing what Ferrari expected of its owners if they did track their cars etc. He said that document had existed since 2018. He said that the dealer where I service my Ferrari had given it to me AND DISCUSSED it with me. The answe is NO he didnt!!!! The document was only sent nd not discussed with me after I questioned the predictive maitenance.
    So in summary this is what it is like here in Australia: They never call you back, they lie, and the list goes on.

4. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    [QUOTE="355Aussie,
    So in summary this is what it is like here in Australia: They never call you back, they lie, and the list goes on.[/QUOTE]
    I have had the exact same experience here in the US on trying to deal with this.

5. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

In defence im in Vic and Zagames are brilliant. Sales rep Alan Crawford and boy he looks after you. Can say enough of Zagames they know how to treat you.

6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Mate

You are going to have flat batteries > go buy a starter and keep it in the car
    You are going to get sticky buttons > get them fixed when it happens
    You are going to have a **** radio system > hell the cabin is too small to have anything that would resemble audiophile quality ( BTW im an expert on this )
    You are going to have dealers treat you like crap > find another dealer.

Gee im the one that first posted the 3rd brake light being on even with the car off. Yes Ferrari never responded. Not that I thought they would. But guess what I have documented it and in Australia Law we have excellent consumer LAW.

You have purchased a GREAT CAR !!!! All the above are small things but can be irritating but learning to deal with it will give you 100's of hours of fun.

Just remember this V8 rear engine the last hope new is the F8 after that forget it . Its game over . I wouldn't trust a hybrid from Ferrari given all these issues with batteries that they have.

So after 70 years its game over :(

Shadowfax likes this.
  7. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Already took the advise and bought this last week. I can live with the crappy service since I pretty much knew that going in and radio while lacking does the min I need. But sticky buttons would be the end for me, do have a couple friends that have 488's from 2016 with no issues from that. I do really enjoy driving the car so looking to get 1 or 2 season in it then hope Lambo has more V10 in the works
    [​IMG]

MANDALAY likes this.
  8. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

From what I have seen is sticky issues less of a problem on the 488 . But having said that it wouldn't push me over the edge.

9. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Hey, Huracan Performante spider really is a great value too. Still NA and mid engine. I just need to wear hat and not loose anymore hair. Heck, if I can fit in my new alfa 4c spider, I should give Lambo one more try (but the automatic back fire was a bit of annoying)

Maybe I can't sell my wife's FF, but I am sure Lambo wants my 458 as trade in.

10. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    search the lithium battery thread.

11. 355Aussie

355Aussie Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    George
    Latest update. I have had the car back for a week since its first pollen service filter LOL. Now it has a check engine light and a system failure warning.
    That first service was well worth it LOL

12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #137 Shadowfax, Jun 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    Actually in Ferrari world it's not fcuked up at all. The word for it is "normal". Normal is a word with multiple meanings in Ferrari land but the main meaning is centered around we can't fix it because there is no such thing as a fix for it and the other meaning for normal is that it is way to expensive to fix under warranty so please F O until it's out of warranty plus it's still working so it's perfectly normal ;).

13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    The fastest way to get rid of a 488 is to drive a gt2rs. After that you just know straight away it has to go. A Ferrari is car you have to own at least once in your life just to find out what all the fuss is about. And the love affair begins and continues until such such point you step into a gt2rs and then boom its over just like that.

mdrums likes this.
  14. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    wisdom

15. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    please update us. I am sorry.

16. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    nah, this is new low.

17. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Ha Ha , made me laugh

18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #143 Shadowfax, Jun 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    By chance you don't happen to know of a service workshop that's been able to fix the led issue and the lack of charging issue? Truth is these are clearly inherent design faults which no workshop is able to fix so they say they are not even problems - say that's the way Ferrari built the car and there isn't anything they can do about it. Awesome engineering eh? I mean keeping in mind it's now 2020 not 1920. So why would Ferrari build a car that can't even charge it's own battery enough - even after 500 km run - and needs to be kept on a tender when it's supposed to be a daily driver? And, what happens when you are away for a few days and there's nowhere to plug the tender in and the battery goes kaput - won't start the car the following morning?

Btw the way the inconvenience and stress I was put through pale into insignificance in comparison to what I saw my neighbor go through. Oh boy - he needs a medal. My few problems were nothing in comparison - in fact were "normal" and standard fare so I was informed. But i will say my experiences with the workshop staffs have always been very positive and helpful. It was they who explained how I needed to buy myself a battery starter pack and showed me all the ropes.

19. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

The comment about the neighbour I can relate to this. Another Ferrari issue : When I saw my car for the first time I had a few tears , but they were tears of joy the paint job was perfect ( Im anal on this ).
    This by far was the most worrying thing about ordering a new Ferrari. If its on the show room floor I can just not buy it. But an order would have had to go through a few hoops to get out of.
    Then there is the other guy crying , why the paint run on his door , a PISTA ! The anxiety the rep went through before he was to tell the owner. Its their problem not Ferrari's

Believe it or not this is high on the list why I am not ordering a F8 so far. Could I be so lucky again and get a perfect paint job ?

20. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    These posts seriously derail the love and enjoyment I want to have for Ferrari and my Ferrari....very depressing !

My wife and I are taking a short 4-5hr drive for a 2-3 day get away vacation this coming weekend to a resort. She wants to take the 488GTB. The car would sit for 2, maybe almost 3 days once we got there. I told her NO WAY and explained the battery charging issue power drain with Ferrari’s.

She said sell the car...take it and trade it in on another Porsche GT3RS or try and get a GT2RS as the Ferrari is not worth it and too much trouble. she also asked about Lambo’s....sigh.

Wow...a $250k mistake....F*ck me!

Ash Patel and scott61 like this.
  21. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    You are so lucky with a wife that is into cars! I kid you not, I have been looking at Hurcan HP spyder and evo spyder rwd for the last few days.
    Not f*ck me, but f*ck Ferrari.

Ash Patel and mdrums like this.
  22. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    How did it go?

23. 355Aussie

355Aussie Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    George
    Going in tomorrow and will advice. The joys of Ferrari ownership. Lets see what it is this time!!

24. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I bought a jump pack so I wouldn't have to stress about the battery issue but have 2 friends that have 2016's 488 and they told me they leave cars sitting for days and have never had battery go dead. When I tell them the issues I read here they tell me my problem is reading to much on forums and I should stop and just enjoy the car. While I'm pissed at Ferrari for the service change and my dealership for misleading I don't want to feel I made a mistake buying the car. Had a great day with car on Saturday doing around 240 miles, car really is fun to drive and I think looks great. At least I did get this first service with oil change for free so just going to enjoy car for rest of season and decide in fall what the future holds.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Boomhauer, MANDALAY, mdrums and 3 others like this.
  25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #150 Shadowfax, Jun 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    My thoughts are take the 488, enjoy it, and roll with whatever comes. If you don't know at what stage the battery is up to i'd prep the car with a starter pack, familiarize yourself with the procedure of accessing the battery and the connecting/disconnecting process so there is less of a freak out if it doesn't start one day. In the first year i took mine away a few times without the tender for a night or 2 at a time without issue and had no idea of the vulnerability with the charging and battery issue until I got stung. I wouldn't pay any attention to anyone telling you this problem isn't real. It's very real. The trick is to get your preparations in order so if problems strike the journey continues with as little fuss and inconvenience as possible. Your wife will love the 488 more than the gt cars. The gt cars are for the real driving though - everything just works. My wife loves both -she also loves cars - but prefers the Ferrari mainly (probably) because "it's a Ferrari" and also because the seats can lay back on those long runs.