First problem - my new-to-me F355 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

First problem - my new-to-me F355

Discussion in '348/355' started by Julia, Dec 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    #76 WATSON, Dec 8, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    This may help as well:

Bank 1 = Passenger side
    Pre Cat O2 sensor = Bosch 13819
    Post Cat O2 sensor = Bosch 13820

Bank 2 = Drivers side
    Pre Cat O2 sensor = Bosch 13819
    Post Cat O2 sensor = Bosch 13820

I think sensor 1 = pre-cat, sensor 2 = post-cat.
    @Qavion yes? no?

:)

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-13819-Original-Equipment-Ferrari/dp/B001D0CG9O/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=bosch+13819&qid=1607480074&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-13820-Original-Equipment-Ferrari/dp/B001D0CG9Y/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=bosch+13820&qid=1607480103&sr=8-1

Beetle and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You need a "foundation"check on this car. Compression test is needed as first thing. If a cylinder is showing less then ten percent differance..then a leak down test will be needed. The 355 is well known for wiping out #2 and #5 cylinders. Also..make sure the cat converters are in one peice. These cars if not maintained correctly will destroy converters in short order.

You have an issue with this car that needs to be rectified before mega bucks need to be spent. However..by your description..it may be too late. I really hope I'm wrong.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Note that Watson's version of the chart has been processed by character recognition software. It looks pretty, but it contains a lot of gibberish :p

There is another version which is a scan of the original document (no character recognition used) which may be required to make sense of the other file.

The 355 is a little louder than your average daily driver. Hard to say without looking at the car, but the exhaust system may not be standard. High flow cats, gutted cats, exhaust bypass valve wired open, Capristo bypass valve, etc. Does the exhaust make your eyes water if you're too close to the back end when the car is running?

Can you take a photo of the cats and the top of the bypass valve (which sits between the air boxes under the inlet ducting)?

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Correct.

Also, Bank 1 = right hand bank (as seen from the rear of the car)

Beetle likes this.
  5. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Gibberish, Jive, whatever......I may have the hard scan on my server at work...

In the meantime...just make it work :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    #81 Julia, Dec 8, 2020
    According to my reading of the auction and the records, the headers, cats, and exhaust are all stock, though the headers and cats were replaced at the last service. I'll see what I can do on the bypass valve picture.

7. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Qavion likes this.
  8. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Yikes. I really hope you're wrong, too. What issue do you see?

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #84 Qavion, Dec 8, 2020
    Here's the original code scan

https://www.dropbox.com/t/pJqnGEdkeWW3XBM2

That's the one. Doesn't look like it has been wired open. Has a nice new hose I see. I wonder if it has been fitted to the correct nozzle on the solenoid valve.

Exhaust bypass valve problems can be caused by:
    Vacuum leaks (including leaky "bean can" reservoir)
    Faulty exhaust bypass solenoid valve (controls the vacuum to the capsule on the exhaust bypass valve)
    Faulty exhaust bypass thermocouple (detects the temperature of the exhaust flow through the valve).
    Faulty thermocouple ECU (takes thermocouple signals and sends them to the Motronics ECU)
    Wiring problems
    Faulty bypass valve (not so common)

The secondary air system also uses vacuum, so there may be a link.

Julia and WATSON like this.
  10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Julia likes this.
  11. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI

Thanks!

Add:

Cracked vacuum tube on rear cross member (the vacuum line from the solenoid to the bypass valve includes a metal tube tack welded to the engine cross frame. It can crack at the connection point of the rubber hose from the valve or solenoid)

Running a rubber hose directly from the solenoid valve to the bypass valve circumvents that tube and an easy way to check it.

Qavion likes this.
  12. BLACK CARS

BLACK CARS Rookie

Sep 23, 2016
    I know it is the second generation after the F355 but the F430s had a manifold cracking problem. Mine did not so I can not describe it but the dealers always look for it (the car was replaced in 12/16 by a 488, so I can't go to the garage to see if it matches your description). It could go back to the F355.

13. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    Hi @miatawoman (Julia). I'm with Billy. Don't even try to jump any pins at the OBD2 port. If it's a stuck injector or a blown Fuel pressure regulator it should have been running real rough. Shaky. If you can get the codes out of it, P0172 and P0301 to 304 would confirm something wrong with that bank or cylinder. That whole system is Bosch derived so I would say that anybody you know that's familiar with Lexus may be able to help you out. I also have three scanners because they sometimes don't read the same things. The Federal Gov't mandated that all cars made after 1996 for USA had to have ALL engine management codes available to a generic scanner. That's CODES, not all Data. I am a certified ASE master Tech and I just wish I was right there to help you out. That car was not driven much, especially in the last 2 years, so more things like this will pop up. My congrats on the purchase and the drive to Omaha. Please keep us abreast of what you find. JB from Milw. WI. P/S I saw that car in person and I like it alot. GL

Julia likes this.
  14. arkferrari

arkferrari Karting
    BANNED

Feb 9, 2004
    Hot Springs, AR
    Full Name:
    B.F. Mitchell
    How are stored codes erased?

15. Matt Andrews

Matt Andrews Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    a scan tool can erase the codes. But disconnecting the battery can as well.

16. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Not on a 355, it can't.

17. scrappin35

scrappin35 Karting

Dec 13, 2011
    FT Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Jim H
    I'm sure he was referring to the OBDII codes

Matt Andrews likes this.
  18. Matt Andrews

Matt Andrews Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    I don't meant to speak out of school. I hate when poor technical info is propagated on the internet. Sorry if that is the case. I was referring to OBD2 error code data. Which I thought that was part of the standard for the protocol. Is this not how the OBD2 ferraris work?

19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The re-pin and jumper are required on the F355 OBD2 port, otherwise scanners won’t work. This is a Ferrari-approved modification. Looking at the photos, it is evident that the required rewiring has already been carried out.

Julia and WATSON like this.
  20. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If you are referring to my comments on the codes, I didn't mean to alarm the original poster, I was just paraphrasing the Ferrari documents.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The Motronics unit has registered a pending fault. The "short to ground" on the injector circuit is obviously not permanent but something triggered the code. Whether it was a glitch caused by a random electron or neutron in the wrong place, a careless technician or something else, only time will tell.

21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    The OBD II cars I have experience will all reset everything if power is disconnected, but I can not answer for the 355 since mine is not OBD II. I also know that for the 360 disconnecting the power will reset all the adaptive values and set all the monitors to the "not ready" state. But we are moving off target here.

22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    It's been noted in Private Conversations that there are discrepancies between official Ferrari documents in relation to what and what isn't erased with the battery reset.

The F355 (5.2) Workshop Manual doesn't specifically state what happens to fault codes with a battery reset, but it does say that adaptive/learned values are not erased (unlike the 355 (2.7)).
    Having said that, we have found two official Ferrari documents relating to the F360 which disagree on this issue. One document says that that resetting the battery will erase the learned parameters, the other says that faults and learned data are stored in "EPROM". EPROMs require power for erasure.

Unfortunately, my memory is a little vague on what the battery reset does to stored codes on my F355 (5.2).

23. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    This is what I have seen in real life, not documentation.

1. On the 5.2 355, CEL codes are stored in non-volatile ram and are not erased by a battery shut off.
    2. On the 360, a battery reset will CLEAR all CEL codes.

Go figure why they are different.

Beetle, BOKE, WATSON and 1 other person like this.
  24. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Weird.

Lots of unrecognized armchair QB's showed up all of the sudden. Who are these guys?...and wonder why?

Qavion likes this.
  25. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Kinda mean though. Some people just like to help. Maybe they have not been on forum for a long time or are new.
    I recently bought a 355 and love this thread to learn more about my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk