First post: Just got my F430, E-Diff light on! | FerrariChat

First post: Just got my F430, E-Diff light on!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ocd, Jan 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ocd

ocd Rookie

Jan 13, 2008
    Nor Cal
    First of all, the car is awesome! 2005 F430 w/ clutch pedal. So I'm out on the highway opening her up when at about XXX mph lane change, I get an extended beep and the E-Diff light comes. It comes on everytime I drive the car. Start the car, move about 100 feet and the light comes on no matter what you set the E-Diff switch to. Other that the light, the car runs and drives fine. I'm not sure the traction is functioning any longer either.

Reading the only other thread I could find, it seems that different ratio tires may cause an issue. Well the front tires are at about 80% and the rears are more like 40%. Could this be a tire wear issue? Car has 3500 miles. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

2. ocd

ocd Rookie

Jan 13, 2008
    Nor Cal
    I played with it a little today and managed to keep it in race mode for about 20 miles before the E-Diff light came back on. After that it pretty much stayed on. Upon closer inspection of the tires, I discovered that the FR tire has been replace sometime recently. Both rear tires are more like 10% at the center. I'm gonna call my local dealer monday. I hope it's just the tires, which pretty much follows the theme of the other thread.

3. walkaway

walkaway Rookie

Nov 21, 2007
    Full Name:
    walkaway
    yeah, contact ur dealer. very much doubt its a tyre wear issue.

let us know how u get on and the diagnosis.

4. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    Hope you have time for a silly question...just what is the E-Diff?

Electronic Differential? Electric Differencexxx? Email Diffuser?

Thanks for furthering my education.

5. ocd

ocd Rookie

Jan 13, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Will do. I'm gonna make an appt friday. I found out that there was a factory recall on 2005 430's for the E-Diff. Mine was done according to Ferrari. Let's see what happens.

6. Kurgen

Kurgen Rookie

May 10, 2006
    Surrey, UK.
    I want to change the tyres on my 430F1 to Pirelli Corsa (same as on Scud), but have been told that this will cause problems with the E-Diff!

Any comments on this?

Cheers
    Rob

7. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    "The F430 includes the E-Diff, a computer-controlled limited slip differential which can vary the distribution of torque based on inputs such as steering angle and lateral acceleration."

8. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    I bet it is the tires.

-F

9. F131ENQS

F131ENQS Rookie

Jan 18, 2008
    Tires should not be the problem, It could be alot of things like a CAN line problem could throw it, bring it to the dealer.

10. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    i had the same problem on my 05 430; dealer said it was a failed solenoid

11. ocd

ocd Rookie

Jan 13, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Just got the 430 back this week. It was a failed solenoid. I took it around the block...sideways the whole time!

12. urgenc

urgenc Rookie

Aug 9, 2007
    #12 urgenc, Dec 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have the same sign and this sign on my F430, I don't know what it means, and I've lost my f430 manual book. Do you guys know what it means ?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Manettino switch problem. See the other thread for details...

14. Miner_31

Miner_31 Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2008
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The early F430s had some E-Diff issues. There was a series of factory service campaigns depending on VIN number. Some were just some of EV lines and pipes being changed and others even required complete assys.

15. tomov69

tomov69 Rookie

Dec 27, 2013
    Hi guys, I have the same problem on my F430 Spider. I`ve tried everything but every time I hit the rock. I have Leonardo Diagnostic with which I clear all error but after I start to drive the car again the error of E diff appears again. I check the solenoid on the differential and clean it to avoid that the problem comes from it. Please tell me what else can I do to fix that issue. Thanks in advance!

16. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    You will need someone to scan the car with the Ferrari computer to actually pull the failure code. But I can tell you a majority of the time I see the E-diff solenoid part number 205742 fail. Dan from ricambi carries it.

You can remove the valve, put it in a cup of ATF, and put 12V of power to it and see if it cycles to bench test it.

17. tomov69

tomov69 Rookie

Dec 27, 2013
    Thanks for the quick reply. I already ordered the part. I will test the old one. Thanks again!

430sixspeed likes this.
  18. 430sixspeed

430sixspeed Rookie

Apr 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Any luck with the new solenoid?

19. FERRARIGREEK

FERRARIGREEK Rookie

May 14, 2020
    Cranston, Rhode Island, United States
    Full Name:
    gregory m demetrakas
    WOW I HAVE SAME ISSUE ON MY 2006.F-430 SPYDER,IT CAMES ON ONCE IN A WHILE,I JUST HAD NEW TIRES INSTALLED AND E DIFF STAYS ON IN RED.IS THERE A FLUID OF OIL OR WERE YOU FILL UP EIFF AND ALSO WERE IS THE SELINOD LOCATED,SO I CAN CHECK THIS,THIS SITE IS GREAT,I GET ALOT FROM THIS SITE.IN STEAD OF GOING TO SOME DEALERS.AND GET ROBBED UNLESS YOUR A TECH,