First Pista on sale in the US | Page 3 | FerrariChat

First Pista on sale in the US

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by kevin1244, Jan 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Agree. Defensive posting for no reason. I was taking about eh Pista flipper, not Tim.

Gh21631 likes this.
  2. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    But the guy flipping his pista has less of a chance to get a la Ferrari now. Buying a car and selling to dealer to get another car- Lusso to pista for example, that’s fine. I totally get that. Selling a pista to get a la Ferrari, I get that.

This dude bought a pista- who knows how he got one, then sold the car to a broker. The Ferrari dealer ain’t gonna be happy. He isn’t moving up the ladder. It can’t be for the money he supposedly made. Just perplexing.

Gh21631 likes this.
  3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    getting a pista has almost nothing to do with getting a LaF. Pista is a 3500 production car. everyone gets one.

LARRYH likes this.
  4. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Yes I know. I was just using that as an example. Agree with you.

5. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    its possible for a family to have more than one profile with Ferrari...meaning, the spouses each have their own buying history etc. If both have the same history and a special car is released both may be offered one. That is how at least one of those fast flips happened from what I was told.

6. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    I chatted Julie about this topic...she said that the ability to FINANCE cars at this level has probably been one of the greatest reasons for the change in consumer and manufacturer behavior. Like how colleges etc make 'higher education' so expensive partially from the increase in demand due to easy student loans. She is right.

Atlanta355 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  7. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Oh I agree with you there. Thats how most of these you tubers survive. Finance a car and sell it before the payment is due. Make a bunch of videos in the meanwhile.

8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    And as soon as those fast flips happen, one family profile is eliminated from future consideration. :)

9. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    how does FNA know you flipped the car ?

when it goes back in for service ?

10. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Alas, everyone but me...

ZF123 and Gh21631 like this.
  11. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Registration data from state DMV’s.

12. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    If you financed through ferrari financial then they would know.

One of the most interesting postings in the last few months was a person who had an 812 superfast and as part of the condition of the purchase was that dealer would put a lien on the car (which had a clear title) and they would have to release the lien in order for the person to sell it

My experience is that flipping or selling quickly through dealer that you purchased the car from is one of those "no harm, no foul" type of things.

A note from another popular financing company:
    • Customer Retention – All lease vehicles are titled in the name of Putnam Leasing Co. and we guarantee notification when your client is considering trading or selling their vehicle.

13. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    So I looked at the one in the link at BJ motors and it's a good spec at $446k but something I found strange is the VIN has as the last 6 numbers 229371 and my car which was delivered more than a year before this one is 230145. My understanding is that the last 6 numbers are the Chassis or serial number. Why would this car have an earlier chassis number than my car which was built in July 2017?

14. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    not one family profile,.....no such thing as a family profile. One member of the family. case in point, If I recall there was a member here that had a Pista for himself under his profile and either his wife or fiance had another. They 'flipped' her Pista. I know of people who have sisters,....parents...with their own unique profiles that are for the sake of collecting the most desirable cars.

15. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    fake vin in the ad so the owner wouldn't be easily discovered...

Gh21631 likes this.
  16. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Geez, do they think Ferrari isn't going to find out? If there aren't so many delivered yet here in the US it should be relatively easy to compare the price sheet and figure it out, assuming FNA actually cares.

17. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    They find out when the registered owner via the title changes. If the title doesn't change then the legal ownership is with the original owner.

18. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    If a car has free title then how would anyone outside of the buyer/seller know that a sale has occurred? There is no automatic notification from a title change to anyone (not that I know of anyways).

If there is financing involved then maybe the financing company tells the selling dealer (there may be kickbacks and dealer would have to know that they have less money coming in).

boobernackle likes this.
  19. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    #69 boobernackle, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Keep in mind most of the cars YouTubers "own" are in fact subsidized by the manufacturer for exposure/advertising.

Regarding flips, at many times the car is ordered by the dealer with a spec they know can be flipped easily. No customer is tied to it, never titled and gets posted straight to a dealer mule/broker. Hiding the VIN protects the dealer, launch specified cars are impossible to trace as they all look the same and easy to move on the secondary market. No need to sell the car and hope the owner sells it back, just use a broker and pocket the additional profit.

No manufacturer will commit that level of resources to track down offending dealers. Only way they will ever launch a finger is if a competing dealer finds out and lodges a complaint that another dealer is actively interfering with their territory, which would be tough given the small number of Ferrari sales.

They don't have Ferrari dealers in many parts of the world with rich people.

lamborarri and SoCal to az like this.
  20. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    That makes sense and look how it works for the dealers. If they can't get enough people to buy a Lusso first for all their allocations, then they just take the allocation and flip it to the broker for a small bump and they lose nothing. Makes sense to me.......

The money I saved not buying a Lusso let me buy my wife a new 2018 AMG GT C Roadster at a nice discount since it's a leftover. Of course I wasn't going to buy a Lusso for an allocation since I really wasn't in the market for a Pista but I spent my extra $100k on a new car and got rid of the Maserati for top trade in. I hate to say it but I like the AMG Roadster as much as my Cali T HS. It's better in a lot of ways and the ragtop is really not bad.

boobernackle likes this.
  21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Fungible is a great word and sadly, seldom used.

22. arkone

arkone Karting

Nov 20, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Mo
    I can count on one hand the YouTubers that would get a subsidized car from the manufacturer. Shmee150, JWW, and a few others and they have received subsidized cars (F90 M5, Aston Martins and etc.)

I know a quite a few car YouTubers (1M+ subs each) and they haven't received any sort of discount from a local dealership or a manufacturer to purchase a car, especially from Ferrari. Those YouTubers that you do see cycling through cars every few months are either leasing or renting them. No one is buying cars with straight cash because they can't afford to. It is all for "clout".

This. Regarding the whole selling used cars over MSRP, I'm with you. No way can they sell a car and buy it back. My local porsche dealership has a Ford GT and GT2rs (multiple) and a GT3rs because the owner of the dealership owns (2) 918s and is in the 918 program. He drives his 911s for 6 months and THEN sells them. There is a GT3rs w/ Weissach ($199k sticker) for sale right now fro $250k but you can't take delivery or title it until March. Whoever says you can do a 2-3 day flip, is wrong afaik.

100%. A good rule of thumb is $2,500 per 1 million views. If you buy a car, you make a delivery video, a reaction video, a couple of prank videos, and a "why I sold it" video. $20,000 in your pocket. Rinse and repeat.

Mbutner, ZF123 and SoCal to az like this.
  23. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I think this is more of an issue with the dealer which I suppose can notify FNA.

24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I don't think you get how it works. If someone buys a new car then decides to flip it through a dealer in a month or whenever they just list it as consignment and work a deal out with the dealer. Very simple. After a few months or so and if the car is in high demand the dealer will want to buy it but of course not at max retail but they have FRoR per the agreement you sign to buy it or not. Ideally you work it out with them so they set you up with the next one. It is not more complicated than this.

25. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    This whole flip it back with the dealer help is very real. I met one owner who openly told me he did that. He ordered all the new cars, some in multiples. Some he didnt even take delivery. Some he would lose money but in the end he made money as he was at the top of the list for the special cars and the dealer loved him bc they made money on the each car, money ordering, money consigning etc..so he never worried about getting what he wanted.