355 - First Ferrari Drive, car almost burnt to the ground. | FerrariChat

355 First Ferrari Drive, car almost burnt to the ground.

Discussion in '348/355' started by wilhit10, Feb 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wilhit10

wilhit10 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Well, the title maybe a bit of an exaggeration, as I did drive to the gas station first;). Then drove the 355 and it smoke started coming out of the rear hatch. What happened was the muffler burnt though the protective foil and started to melt the rear bumper. Luckily the rear bump is ok, but my question is why did this happen. I am assuming that this aftermarket muffler(pretty sure ebay special) does not fit right. Shouldn't there be at least a little bit of air space between the muffler and the rear heat shield?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Perhaps a combination of factors here:

Is the muffler getting enough flow through it. The OEM muffler has 4 exit pipes, this has only 2.
    Is the heatshield material standard?
    Is the aftermarket muffler fatter than the OEM, putting it closer to the heatshield?

3. wilhit10

wilhit10 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    The heat material looks standard, as it has been riveted on. I think the muffler is not only fatter, but sits farther back too. My best bet would be to dump this ebay special and get a decent muffler and see if it fits, or cut this one up and make it fit. I've been looking at some photos, and it looks like there's at least 1/2 inch between the muffler and the heat shield with a Tubi exhaust?? Does anyone have a capristo or Tubi exhaust for sale?

4. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    That is the OEM heatshield. Muffler too close to the heat shield resulted in this close call.

Here is a picture of the OEM heatshield spacing with my Tubi Evolution exhaust fitted. I actually got it even better spaced by adjusting the y pipe connection after this pic was taking. It needs room between the muffler, clutch housing and the heatshield.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Beetle, judd10 and ShineKen like this.
  5. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Pretty much every capristo touches the heat shielding, and it doesn't catch the bumper on fire.

I built spacers to move the heat shielding a little bit further away so there is no contact. Supposed to make also it keeps it from getting all scratched up.

I do think that muffler needs to be replaced regardless, get it to be capristo or any of the other main models out there.

Is it possible that maybe some oils just spilled and it's just burning off some residue?

6. FourthAlfa

FourthAlfa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2015
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Andrew Love
    +1 on the aftermarket muffler. There is not that much space between the bumper and the exhaust, and when the muffler touches the heat shield it will indeed burn it. If you change the muffler the heat shield needs to be adjusted and looks like it wasn’t in this case.

7. wilhit10

wilhit10 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I appreciate the responses. I was playing with spacers to move the heat shield back a bit on the top mount last night and may have enough room to keep this exhaust. There seems to be quite a bit of room between the heat shield and the bumper to move it back some.

8. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    Holy cow that’s scary looking at the discoloration of that muffler looks like somethings wrong inside of it and those “355” brackets are going to act like heat sinks I would change that out before you lose your car

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    You are referring to my pictures which have nothing to do with the issue the OP has faced. The muffler is fine and that’s the color they go with use and heat cycling. The brackets don’t act as heat sinks any more than any other muffler bracket.

krazykarguy likes this.
  10. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    Oh ok I though those pics of the muffler where the ones out of the car
    So what did you do to resolve the problem readjusted or replace the system

11. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    There is a Tubi for sale in the classifieds.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. wilhit10

wilhit10 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Hopefully

13. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    FWIW, here's the heat shield-muffler air gap on my car. I found my original heat shield with a little damage -- it was clearly contacting the muffler in the past, which rubbed/burned it in a few places -- and replaced it with a modern shield from DEI. There's a nice 3/4" air gap between the shield and muffler now which I assume is how it's supposed to fit.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. wilhit10

wilhit10 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
  15. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    I agree with Qavion that muffler I would get rid of it and go with a dual tip exhaust can set up there's not enough flow in a single....tooooo hot.

16. wilhit10

wilhit10 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    The original ebay special muffler is not going back on the car, as it didn't fit with only a small layer of gold foil on the heat shield. Tubi's only have single outlets and people seem to not have any issues with them?? I put a Nourvalai exhaust on it, which has the dual outlets, but its too loud for me. The fitment is great and allows for the new DEI heat shield.