First Bike, Honda 919 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

First Bike, Honda 919

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by FarmerDave, Jul 30, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I agree with this sentiment, but I don't know if I have anything to decide? The one officer I talked to in Lake Worth said he saw a picture and it's probably not totaled. I'm probably going to get it back, unless there is hidden frame damage... and yes, there is some joy in knowing they couldn't start it when they popped the ignition, due to there not being a battery! :)

As the Chinese parable goes.... "we'll see"

2. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Thanks Greg! I've been sharing mostly as my own personal blog of the experience but glad others have enjoyed it!

3. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Managing adjusters, 2 police departments, a towing yard, and a Honda dealership has become a significant pain in my ass.

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    sucks dude :(

has anyone gotten eyes on the bike yet? condition, etc?

5. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    If you have good insurance and want another bike dont take it back.
    But remember a claim like this would follow you for awhile.

6. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I don't think that's an option if the bike has been recovered in fair condition.

Which seems to be the case. A few cosmetic issues, it's questionable whether they ever got the bike started, because there was no battery, and they apparently tried to cram a larger battery into the small opening...

It's at a Honda dealership now for estimates and repair. While it's there I'm going to have new tires, new sprockets and chains installed. Hoping I get it back soon before the weather really turns to crap.

7. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    Glad to hear you got the bike back. That is quite rare around my neighborhood.

A moto-friend of mine had his bike stolen after a motorcycle show. Thieves candidly followed him back to his condo and stole it literally minutes after he pulled in (or so the story goes).

8. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I just noticed that the guy I bought my chain and sprocket set from is an FChatter... I saw him post in P&R. Hi Dan :)

9. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    is your bike back on the road?

10. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Not yet. I told the shop to take their time finishing everything because I'm not going to ride 'till warm weather gets here for good. That said they did get all the parts in and started on it last week, so I expect them to call me in a couple of weeks or sooner.

Riding in sub-70 degree weather has very little appeal to me.

11. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #86 FarmerDave, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Awesome! Glad you have it back.

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
  14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Glad to see it!

That's a nice machine....

15. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #90 FarmerDave, Aug 27, 2014
    Time for some updates. I've been riding a couple days a week lately, after a few months break.

Now that I've owned a motorcycle for a year and put something like 2,700 miles on it, I remind myself that I might be more dangerous than ever because I'm getting more comfortable.

I found myself in two situations recently that made me feel good about my instincts but left me kicking myself for being in the situation to begin with.

One was a panic stop where I used far too much rear brake and not enough front brake, and my rear just fishtailed for like 40 feet, like 2 oscillations left and right. Scary, but my ass gyroscope just did the right things to stay upright. Later I felt some pride in the balance but not happy that I didnt get the braking right. Mostly I was scared ****less.

Last night I was turning right leaving a gas station and applied a modest handful of power as I was leaned to the right, and the rear slid out to the left but once again, my instinctive butt gyroscope did the right things (happened so fast I dont know what I did) to correct my inputs and get only a tiny slide to the right when I corrected as I ever so slightly backed off the throttle and then stabilized. Again, happy with the outcome but shaking my head about putting myself in that spot to begin with.

But other than these couple of learning experiences, it's been a few thousand miles of enjoyment out of the bike. I'm really glad I decided to learn to ride.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #91 FarmerDave, Aug 27, 2014
    I hope nobody minds if I use this as my "blog" posting a couple more pics in this thread for posterity.

Trooper Lujan-Luna also rides bikes and, I wasn't really speeding but was hard on the throttle entering an empty freeway at 2am and he was just over the crest. I saw him way before he saw me. He admitted to me he hoped I would run. In his words, "I thought it was on like donkey kong."

17. wang

wang Formula 3

Feb 23, 2004
    Brunei
    Full Name:
    H. Wang
    Anymore updates FarmerDave...? :)

18. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Nothing new worth reporting other than I'm enjoying riding when the weather is good and I have some time!