First Bike, Honda 919 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

First Bike, Honda 919

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by FarmerDave, Jul 30, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Another adventure on the motorcycle this evening... long story short, another motorcyclist, on some sort of sport bike, decided to follow me deliberately for a couple of blocks, from his body language it looked like he was eager to chat. It was half hour past sunset.

I turned into the parking lot of the Sam's Club gas station I was headed to anyway, and he followed, which didn't alarm me but I didn't really feel like socializing. I thought I heard a voice shouting at me, wasn't sure.

Next I heard a loud *CRUNCH* behind me as I turned right again into the station, and after I made sure nobody was right behind me, I slowed and stopped to look.

The guy's back tire was lodged in an SUV's front bumper! I guess the guy stopped short or something, maybe while trying to get my attention? At any rate, there were many screamed four and five letter words between the SUV driver and the sport bike guy, enough that I did not at all want to get involved. I fueled up quick and left before they were done gnashing their teeth, after all, I saw nothing, only heard a crunch, the guy obviously wasn't injured, the bike was rideable, and it wasn't my fight.

It's been an interesting weekend!

2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Please be careful on that thing, Dave. There are reasons why I won't ride one.

3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  4. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
  5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  6. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Got a book to read.

Got some spare control levers.

Got my license.

Got my insurance.

Got a blister on my left thumb.

Got some "starter" gear... a mesh textile armored touring style jacket, and a mid-grade helmet. Upgrades to leather and better helmet will come soon. This stuff is definitely an upgrade from my auto racing helmet & long sleeve dickies shirt that I've made do with for the past week.

I feel like a real motorcycle-guy now.

Where's all the free p****?

7. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    you don't want to see the free ***** bikers get :eek:

8. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #33 FarmerDave, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    ^Good point.

Another achievement unlocked:

Out riding last night, getting a feel for my new gear, and I start to get assaulted with big heavy raindrops.

It was a test of light touches on the controls, especially the throttle of course. Soon becomes a gullywasher. Of course this is the first rain in a couple weeks so the 5 minutes between feeling the first drops, and finding temporary shelter offered a very sketchy set of conditions... New rider, nighttime, oil on top of water, on/off throttle. I felt a sense of accomplishment having successfully maintained full control.

15 minutes after this picture, I ride 6 blocks west to find dry pavement, I must have ridden into the very corner of the thunderstorm cell.

It was fun, in a "challenging test of skill" sort of way. I managed to experience absolutely zero loss of traction on either tire.

The slipperiest part of the whole ride was arriving at stoplights and placing feet on pavement. I played ice hockey for years so I understand walking/balancing on ice in sneakers, but I have to tell you, the wet pavement at a stop light offers slipperier conditions than an ice rink!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    About helmets. For a few days I was rocking my Auto racing helmet. Two observations about getting a motorcycle helmet. 1) I didn't realize how poor the peripheral vision of the auto helmet was until I got the M helmet. 2) M helmet is very noise isolating. In a way that was a little disconcerting. I felt less in touch with my surroundings, comparatively. To the point that I think I might try to find an older design of helmet to wear around town in daily traffic, and use the quieter one for the open road.

10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    first time in the rain is an eye opener, fo sho :eek: watch the painted lines/crosswalks/etc too.

agree on the peripheral vision, always wondered why the racing helmets had such small fields of vision-Snell/FIA ratings, maybe?

I used one helmet and just wore ear plugs if I'd be on the highway (or at speed on back roads ;) ), my helmet was a mid-range KBC. and yes I know in most states ear plugs are illegal :eek:

11. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I gave the auto helmet some thought... designed to be used while you're stuck in a multipoint harness, so you're going to be relying on mirrors anyway? Better to have smaller window opening for strength?

12. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I wouldnt stress too much about helmets. Anything Snell year 2000+ should be dandy.
    As far as something "louder" you cant win; at high speeds they become too loud for some.

I have an extra brand spanking new Bell Star with a too-loud-for-me paint job in the Viper model. You look like a Viper kind of guy ;)
    Was going to "dip" it flat black but picked up another color scheme of that same helmet.

Bell Star Viper Helmet - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

A $600 helmet bought on ebay for $200 or so after extensive searching. You can have it for that if you are inclined.
    Bell Star = Awesome helmets.

13. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    What size is it?^

14. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I am enjoying the heck out of this motorcycle thing. About 250 miles ridden over the weekend, going nowhere in particular. And I can't imagine having picked a better bike to start off with, for me.

15. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #40 UroTrash, Aug 12, 2013
  16. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Neato.

Nice luggage system.

17. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Large but replacement foam inserts can make it almost any size. Helmet size charts are all over the board. Try one before you buy one.

I personally prefer a snug fit.

18. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I'm a large... does it have the same wild ass paint job as in that picture ;) I'm not sure I'm qualified cool enough to pull that off.

19. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #44 UroTrash, Aug 13, 2013
    Wild graphics are fine. Centurion crests, dinosaur spikes and tiger ears, not so much.

Here are a few of my past faves and I'm an old stick in the mud reactionary libertarian.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  21. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Not sure if I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but the original owner took my motorcycle on a Deal's Gap trip before selling it to the guy I bought it from... My bike has been there but I haven't. Yet!

22. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I rode another hundred miles tonight. :D

23. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    yet :)

this motorcycle thing is fun, eh? you're really tempting me to get another bike...

24. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    And where does one get these centurion crests, dinosaur spikes, tiger ears?

Asking for a friend.

25. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat