FIPSA Fuel Filter | FerrariChat

FIPSA Fuel Filter

Discussion in '308/328' started by Scottc, Oct 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scottc

Scottc Karting

Jan 15, 2006
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Scott Coverley
    Hi-Going to be changing the filter element on this...Can anyone tell me what purpose the two bolts I have circled serve on this? Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    I'll guess that the small round head screw is a bleed screw, and the large screw is a place where a return line fitting can be installed (if needed). This jpeg of another FISPA filter housing has the bleed screw in a slightly different location and a double-ended banjo fitting mounted at the large screw (with remnants of hoses attached):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    If you do an internet search on "FISPA fuel filter", and look at the images, you'll see all sorts of slightly different variations that have different fittings, and even sensors, that might not be used in every application (so those ports would need to be blocked).

3. Scottc

Scottc Karting

Jan 15, 2006
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Scott Coverley
    Thank you...Is it usually necessary to bleed out the air after replacing the filter?

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No, not as it's used on carbed Ferrari IME, but it might be needed in some applications (so more a feature that FISPA added to their product rather than a feature needed by Ferrari's product). Also, can be a way to confirm that fuel (or whatever fluid is being filtered) is reaching the filter (and/or the filter is not blocked if the internal passages place it on the output side) without needing to disconnect any hoses so that can be handy.

5. Scottc

Scottc Karting

Jan 15, 2006
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Scott Coverley
    Thank you Steve