Finding the Dino Chassis, VIN, Engine, Transaxle and PF body numbers | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Finding the Dino Chassis, VIN, Engine, Transaxle and PF body numbers

Discussion in '206/246' started by synchro, Sep 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    spot on
    :)

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #77 synchro, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#78 dinogts, Nov 22, 2014
  4. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#79 dinogts, Nov 22, 2014
  5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #80 synchro, Nov 23, 2014
  6. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #81 synchro, Mar 29, 2015
  7. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #82 synchro, Apr 29, 2015
  8. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #84 synchro, Jun 13, 2015
    I was doing some clean up on 05702's electrical and noticed that stamping "Cavis Iemmequ" on several of the wires including the large gauge wires connecting the ammeter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #85 synchro, Jun 15, 2015
  11. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Cannonball Jack finds a hidden Dino number 2370 and more memories that he forgot about...!

How could you forget about being followed by USA police

12. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Those plastic clips age well, but they eventually break.
    In Dino 05702, I have found that the 8.5mm sized clips for 5mm rods fit correctly.

13. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    On page 1 of this thread, "synchro" posted pictures of his engine numbers (see posts #3 and #4).
    His type number is located on the left on the top of the ledge. The engine number is located on the same ledge but further right (see green arrows).
    Some engine have these numbers stamped on the vertical area (see red arrow).
    Is there an explanation ? Could some of you guys post pictures ?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

My Italian born Euro GTS 05082 had its numbers on the vertical face as you show with the red arrow.

Are you remarking how Ferrari did things "differently" ?!
    :)
    Just when you think you've seen it all...you get your face handed to you in Dino land

15. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    In my #03934 the engine type and number are in the same place as your #05702 in post #3 and #4.

synchro likes this.
  16. LGK-SD

LGK-SD Rookie

Dec 20, 2014
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Larry
    Late to this party but often think about my Dino and did some recent searching. Yes...#02866 was mine for most of the 1980's while I lived in Orange Cty, CA. Some things you just don't get over.......

17. Dave Thirlwell

Dec 19, 2019
    Johannesburg, RSA.
    Full Name:
    David. B. Thirlwell
    Hi all, first time here. I'm busy with chassis #05628 and lately I find I'm spending as much time doing research as working on the car itself. The car is a RHD, wipers park centrally and all the other stuff seems to be pretty standard. This car wound up in South Africa and after the owner "blew" the engine he asked me to do a restoration. On stripping I discovered that this car had been in a prang and had three points of major damage OR it had been in three separate incidents. The Chassis was bent L/F to R/R by 25mm, we found what we think were bullet holes in places, in other places the lead filler was 17mm thick, a real mess. as a consequence when she stood in the first, second or third panel shop a number of parts were never replaced so my suppliers are smiling. Can the historians give any history to #05628. and was there a time when "floor sweepings" were used in the build of of a newer model.
    Regards
    Dave

18. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    I have 05628 as being a RHD UK market January 1973 build E series 246 GT in Rosso Chiaro 20-R-190 with Nero 161 Dino vinyl interior.

19. Dave Thirlwell

Dec 19, 2019
    Johannesburg, RSA.
    Full Name:
    David. B. Thirlwell
    Thanks for that isuk, this is where it becomes very confusing, correct me if i'm wrong, when the car was brought to me the choke lever was between the seats, I've since learned that it ought to be on the center console between the gear lever and cigar lighter for the E series. It does also make perfect sense because the build #: is 1679 and the # I found under the center console is #182 something. So possibly the two consoles could have been replaced at some stage because of the damage to them. Also there are two holes for the aircon controls and this car never had aircon. Help.
    Regards.
    Dave

20. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #95 TonyL, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    Dave

Late E series UK cars had the choke control lever between the seats. US cars next to the gear lever.
    All centre consoles had holes for air con by default, they were left covered by the vinyl if air con wasnt fitted.
    A good idea to buy "the dino compendium" lots of useful info, i beleive the author ( on here as Germandino) has indicated they are sold out but some pop up on ebay from time to time.

Photos please?

Tony

21. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Don't panic Dave, there are many anomalies in the production of the Dino and this choke location is just another example. I have photo's of a number of RHD cars built either side of the one you are restoring and the choke location is different amongst them. Here is #05596, at 246 GT which appeared at auction a few years ago in the UK after being found languishing in a garage unloved for many years. It's interior is original and the choke on this car is evidently located to the rear of the centre console as was the norm for early E series cars yet this car was built in January 1973 just like #05628. I have photo's of #05634 which was a GTS but also built in January 1973 which has the choke on the forward section of the centre tunnel between the gear lever and cigarette lighter. I also have a photo of #05562 which is another UK GTS built in December 1972 that has the choke in the forward section of the centre console as well. Matthias may be able to shed more light on this for you but I'd say the fact that #05596 shares the same choke location as the car you are working on would suggest that there is no need for you to re-locate it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Dave Thirlwell

Dec 19, 2019
    Johannesburg, RSA.
    Full Name:
    David. B. Thirlwell
    TonyL likes this.
  23. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
  24. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
    And when it comes to reinstalling the rear window, if your nerves hold, please do send some staged pictures of the installation and description of method used... thanks Kevin

25. Dave Thirlwell

Dec 19, 2019
    Johannesburg, RSA.
    Full Name:
    David. B. Thirlwell
    Hi Kevin, Thanks for that, regarding the rear window, being an atheist, when I start installation, do you think it would be a good time to start attending church?
    Regards Dave