Financing arrangements for homes >$3M | FerrariChat

Financing arrangements for homes >$3M

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 2tall4economy, Aug 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2tall4economy

2tall4economy Karting

Oct 26, 2014
    Western Suburbs of Chicago (for now)
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Hello!

I'm looking to settle down permanently after a career where I moved house every 2-3 years for decades.

In preparation I'm also exiting my rental property side business and will be sitting on a pile of liquidity in the next 1-2 years once I'm done selling (great time to be doing it! lol).

I started feeling out the traditional banks and regional banks, and nobody wanted to touch anything above $2M or $3M depending, despite a financial situation which would allow me to buy such a house in cash. What I heard was there simply isn't such a product out there (which I suppose is possible, given how few houses in a market outside of the SF bay would be selling at this price level).

I also looked into securities based lending, through Fidelity and others, but those arrangements tended to only be 5 years max.

I heard all the stories about "special mortgage arrangements for the elite" from the politicians for years. At the risk of pointing out to everyone how un-knowledgeable I am at high end home purchase arrangements, despite having been a landlord and working in senior finance roles for decades, I've never been offered or have seen anything like that. I was wondering if anyone on this board could at least orient me in a direction I could start chasing.

I know solution #1 is "pay the difference between purchase price and $3M in cash". I can, but I'd strongly prefer not to unless it's the only way it's done in reality, and there are no "special mortgage arrangements" of legend.

I think perhaps solution #2 is "get into a private bank and let them sort it out". An option, but I tend to manage my own investments to save on fees and would prefer to keep it that way. I may be swayed, but that's my initial reaction

Anyway, appreciate any and all help in this area!

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Can't offer any real advice, but I would look up some realtors that deal mostly with million dollar+ real estate and ask them for referrals.