Finally.. new 1978 308 GTS owner... :-) | FerrariChat

Finally.. new 1978 308 GTS owner... :-)

Discussion in '308/328' started by Doogie, Mar 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doogie

Doogie Rookie

Nov 19, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Douglas Menkhaus
    Hello gang, thanks for having me. I've been on this site, joined 4 years ago. I've lusted after a 308 GTS since I was a kid in the '80s watching Magnum PI.

I've reading threads here for years, gathering knowledge, insight, and dreams.

Yesterday my dream came through. On Monday I flew from Cincinnati, OH to Portland Oregon to view 1 of 2 308 GTS's that were parked in a heated garage in 1990. They came available, and I took the opportunity to see them. The owner and I agreed on a price, and the deal was done!

These 2 cars (I only got the 1978 Red/Tan car, the 1979 Red/Black car has since sold) are time capsules. Not a spec of rust. The drain holes on the bottom of the doors are clean, painted, and still round! A-Pillars, no rust, bottom, no rust. leather on the Tan car is perfect (black car was worn). I am so happy I finally found the right car.

The engine of course needs at a minimum Major Service, tires (although NOT checked or cracked AT ALL after 30 years???), and of course fluids, belts, hoses, lines, brakes, pads, (starting to sound like the Ghostbusters part when Dan Ackroyd comes in the ambulance), but I'm up for the task.

I just wanted to say hi, and "I finally have my Magnum car! :)
    https://www.facebook.com/doug.menkhaus/posts/3351309298219760?comment_id=3395324253818264&notif_id=1583890318154944&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic

It's being transported from Portland OR to Cincinnati, OH right now (Yes, I hid a GPS in the trunk :) ), and should arrive in about a week.

I am SO excited! Hope you don't mind me asking a TON of stupid questions! (Oh and yes, I buy B&P for TB assists! Located in Cincinnati OH!)

Doogie

Dane, Eforg23, moysiuan and 1 other person like this.
  2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Welcome and big congrats Douglas! The waiting is the hard part, the close it gets to you the longer it will seems. It’s funny but smart about hiding a GPS in the car. Anyway looks like you made the right choice. Yes by all means, feel free to ask any questions, as this will be a learning experience for you, there are a lot of gurus in this family. Please post some pics.

Doogie likes this.
  3. Doogie

Doogie Rookie

Nov 19, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Douglas Menkhaus
    Here they are! These were parked ("Ran when parked") in 1990 in a heated dry storage garage. The owner passed about 3 years ago, and his widow decided it was time to sell them about a month ago. She told the very nice friend of the family, who in turn I bought one from. Here's a few pics. These are truly time capsule 308's...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I remember his excited I was. Wanted one since I was thirteen back in 81.

Waited 16 years for mine. It's been 23 years now and I still find myself staring at it in my garage like it belongs to someone else and I want one.

I think you have to be born this way. Not sure the 308 and Ferrari mystique can be learned on a level that I enjoy.

Congratulations.

greg328, Dane, Rosey and 1 other person like this.
  5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I really really like these red with the black a pillar. They stopped that in 84 and I always felt like it was an aesthetic mistake.

But that's just me.

Doogie likes this.
  6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    AUG 90????

Doogie likes this.
  7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    What are your chassis numbers?

(Last 5 of the VIN)

Doogie likes this.
  8. Doogie

Doogie Rookie

Nov 19, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Douglas Menkhaus
    And of course me being as happy as I can be! My dad told me a few years ago, "I wish I would've spent my money when I could have enjoyed it" (he was 74 at the time). He said "What am I going to do, go out and buy a Corvette? What the heck would I do with that?"

Life lesson. I'm 52. If you can do it, do it. Don't be 72 wishing you had 20 years of great memories... Oh, and learn to love Ramen Noodles! :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

JuLiTrO likes this.
  9. Doogie

Doogie Rookie

Nov 19, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Douglas Menkhaus
    Albert-LP likes this.
  10. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Congratulations and welcome to the club!

Doogie likes this.
  11. Doogie

Doogie Rookie

Nov 19, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Douglas Menkhaus
    They were parked in 1990, with no intention of leaving them there, but it just happened that way. Been sitting ever since. They are truly time capsules. No rust at all, leather still smells grand. Obviously Major Service and more required, but I'm very happy with the purchase.

Dane, lm2504me and Dr Tommy Cosgrove like this.
  12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I just sitting here remembering where I was and what I was doing in Aug 90.

Hard to believe it was that long ago

Doogie likes this.
  13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    You will like the carbs.

I have a QV GTS. I'm longing for a carbed B now.

Doogie likes this.
  14. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    Congratulations! I own 1978 November build # 26533

Doogie likes this.
  15. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Congratulations, welcome to the pain and full enjoyment of Ferrari ownership
    And Please Drive it :)

Doogie likes this.
  16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Very nice examples.....congrats.

One place to examine that can rust unseen, is the front hood weep drains, in the front channel.

Easily clogged with debris, there are multiple levels of unfinished steel stacked by assembly and the weeps were just drilled thru..it's the one place on my car where major surgery was required, and the craftsman was careful to modify this fault with a bell ended metal tube, that discharges the drip well below the sandwiched bulkhead plates.

If your car is clean there, it's REALLY clean!!!

Doogie likes this.
  17. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Congrats, I have Nov 1978 26355. 308 GTS

Doogie likes this.
  18. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Cool story good things come to those who wait.

Doogie likes this.
  19. Doogie

Doogie Rookie

Nov 19, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Douglas Menkhaus
    That's good information, I'll be sure to look there as soon as it arrives tomorrow, Thanks!

20. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Congratulations! I get the excitement. I have 25527 September 1978 GTS. Sitting for 30 years you may have your work cut out for you :). All the best!

Doogie likes this.
  21. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Super, your smile on the pictures...priceless.

Doogie likes this.
  22. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    Congratulations! I fulfilled my dream of Ferrari ownership with a ‘84 QV 4 years ago!

23. Doogie

Doogie Rookie

Nov 19, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Douglas Menkhaus
  24. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Congrats Doogie, I just commented on FB then found this thread. If you are doing it all yourself, brace yourself :) There are lots of helpful people here, willing to share their experience and even their tools. Don't go down the rabbit hole of making the car perfect (been there, done that, and missed years of fun!) Do the basics to make it safe and not self-destruct-- does engine turn (look at bores with borescope), tyres, all fluids, filters, cam belts and tensioners (check lower drive pulleys for wiggle when belts are off, check brakes work, and I would put some cheap fuel plus a sludge remover product into the tanks, rock the car to mix, after a few days dump it. Also replace all the fuel lines you can reach and look/sniff when you first switch on the fuel pump as fires are common.
    Drive the car for a while to check the condition of synchros, suspension, tuning etc. Then you can decide whether to pull the drivetrain or do jobs one at a time (like change exhaust valves if still in there and >50k miles.)

Have fun!