Filling up the 458 with gas | FerrariChat

Filling up the 458 with gas

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by tgee's458, Feb 16, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tgee's458

tgee's458 Karting

Jan 20, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Teg
    Anyone have problems inserting the gas nozzle into the tank? My new car would not allow the station nozzle in as there is a lock or cap that looks like a key slot? Will try again another day. Have read that you need to insert on a higher angle? The Owners Manuel says only a nozzle will unlock the seal and of course not a finger or screwdriver.

2. Xeron

Xeron Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    Vegas
    pretend it's a virgin. seriously, just push through it and it should release.

Jedi, Dtman33, plastique999 and 2 others like this.
  3. tgee's458

tgee's458 Karting

Jan 20, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Teg
    Ok! Thanks....

4. Financialman

Financialman Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    San Jose CA
    Full Name:
    Dan Carpenter
    You have to push the nozzle in pretty firmly at first!

5. 458Italia

458Italia Karting

Jul 30, 2009
    Try to turn the nozzle a little (preferably to the upper-right) once you get it in, it would get a better gas flow in the tank.

6. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Actually the biggest usability problem I've run into is how difficult it is to get a refill on gas. On the 458 many nozzles here in CA don't have enough interference fit with the rubber shroud on the nozzle to let the gas flow. Built into the nozzle is a switch that won't let gas flow if the shroud is not seated firmly in the receptacle. Often I have to hold the shroud against the nozzle holder to start and maintain the flow of gas. Some nozzles are certainly better than others but the overall compatibility is pretty bad. Easily half the time I'm stuck holding the nozzle shroud to get gas until it is full...

SV

7. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #7 PhilNotHill, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. tgee's458

tgee's458 Karting

Jan 20, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Teg
    Yes, tried but the nozzle wouldn't go in...maybe I'd better try another angle...didn't want to break the locking seal...

9. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    yep me too! every freaking time!

jhunter18 and Chupee like this.
  10. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    you need to insert the nozzle into the first receptacle, then rotate it to orient it more vertically so the nozzle can go through the second valve. The nozzle itself will be more vertical than on other vehicles. It's sort of like threading a bolt through a housing.

IF you only get it in the first receptacle, if you get fuel to flow it will end up on your shoes or down the overflow escape.

My wife, daughters and I have this down to a science now; you will figure it out! First couple times were maddening though until we can figure it out.

I can imagine the vented hoses are a pain, we used to live in CA, but this system was no better or worse in my experience.

11. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    The lock will open automatically when you firmly insert the nozzle. With California shrouded nozzles, you will need to hold the nozzle in place at the right angle and penetration depth to get the pump to start. Trial and error but it will work.

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Here's a tip to solve the problem: Move out of California. :)

No problem in Nevada. Different filling fixtures here.

ScottS and Jakuzzi like this.
  13. dwb360

dwb360 Karting

Aug 22, 2010
    Champaign, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave Barr
    Tell the nozzle it's your first time too any you will respect it in the morning.

Mayrivercrab likes this.
  14. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    And you will save enough in taxes to buy your next 458 Spider

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  15. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    In Cal. I have to hold the rubber sleeve off from the nozzle so it has sufficient length to go through the gas traps. Once you get the hang of it, it'll work easy from then on.

sampelligrino likes this.
  16. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Hah! Just a design miss by Ferrari. I assume they occasionally read these boards so this is direct feedback that a nifty no-gas-cap feature missed by not being robust for a very large market (CA). No amount of deeper insertion of the nozzle overcomes the shroud detection. Design miss.

My 2010 Cali isn't much better. Shroud detection works but it appears there is a higher constriction in the gas flow and I have twist and turn the gas handle to maintain flow. Not every station fails but many do...

SV

17. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    One of my biggest gripes on using the 458 as a DD and unequivocally a design flaw. Different angles and insertion firmness doesn't help. That gas lock has a serious attitude problem and a mind of its own. She just opens when she's good and ready (LOL).

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

First, Ferrari didn't make the nozzle receptacle. It's a purchased part used on a million other cars today rolling off the assembly lines on many makes including Toyota, Honda, etc.

Second, these stupid vapor protectors are NOT in all of California but only in some of the larger cities with more air quality restrictions. They give consumers a hassle (particularly the elderly who have a tough time holding the nozzles in place and pressing the lever) and increase the costs to consumers (like everyone).

So, is it a design miss or California trying to make the rest of the world as much of a hassle to live in as they are?

19. F430kenric

F430kenric Formula 3

Mar 27, 2011
    I am with you. Same as New Mexico. No problems. You have to move;)

20. Arnie

Arnie Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2011
    New Jersey
    Does anybody have a problem in NJ where you have to let the gas station guy fill your tank? Some guys get an attitude if you try to fill it yourself since it is against the law here.

F430 Driver likes this.
  21. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    When I was in college I pumped gas in Teton National Park. Linda Bird Johnson was there for vacation. The Secret Service would not let us put gas in her cars.

Why would I let some minimum wage yahoo put gas in my Ferrari which he has probably never seen before?

They get offended. BFD

22. Brian Nametko

Brian Nametko Rookie

Feb 14, 2013
    New Jersey
    I don't blame you for wanting to pump your own gas. If you're driving a Ferrari the last thing you'd want is some camel jockey messing with your car! I know premium is a must but do you fill yours with Royal Dutch Shell? I think Ferrari recommends Shell V-Power gasoline.

23. since-15

since-15 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2008
    #23 since-15, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
    Wow, "camel jockey." Really? What are you, an infant? Take that attitude to the juvenile tuner forums. Grow up or get out!

Chupee, Il Co-Pilota, Jakuzzi and 2 others like this.
  24. 2k7997tt

2k7997tt Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    John M.
    Unacceptable. Inappropriate.

Chupee, Il Co-Pilota, Jakuzzi and 2 others like this.
  25. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Sorry, design miss. My Aston is not similarly afflicted. Plenty of other cars around me do not have the problem. Don't care whether Ferrari buys them or designs them themselves, it is their car design. I want to see them get better. Arguing that the reduction in pollution is a bad thing won't get far in my book.

California used to have a huge problem and it has gotten much better with technology and better gas. I know it doesn't come for free but most other cars get this right and it is frustrating that Ferrari can't...

SV