FIA Grand Prix (Mclaren hearing) ****spoilers***** | Page 30 | FerrariChat

FIA Grand Prix (Mclaren hearing) ****spoilers*****

Discussion in 'F1' started by 1_can_dream, Sep 13, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Very good post Jeff. I'm glad to see an Alonso fan that can be objective with the matter. While personally I think the punishment should have extended to the drivers at McLaren I do agree with you that not punishing McLaren for the 2008 season is a good idea for the sport. Hopefully we can put on a good show for the last few races and not get laughed at and then just put this season behind us. As far as I'm concerned no one this season is deserving to win either title.

2. aventino

aventino Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    David L
    Still can't see what all the fuss is about. People jump from team to team in F1 all the time, someone makes them a better deal or their employer (in this case Ferrari) treats them like crap and they decide to get even. Human nature. Where does it say what knowledge a person is allowed to take from one team to another. Pay the guy what he is worth and don't be so mickey mouse with your data security and none of this would have happened. If the data had been stolen from anyone else then the FIA wouldn't have cared, but since it's from Ferrari and they're way in bed with Bernie these days we roll out the court case. No way is Bernie behind LH, it was all the big teams except Ferrari that tried to start the breakaway Formula.

Plenty of other teams who have had data stolen or watched a competitors car turn up with their idea's must be rolling their eyes at the verdict.

3. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I suspect the issue here is the McLaren ECU for all teams next year.

If McLaren management is playing "see no evil" while the back room pours over competitor data, who's going to want to provide the information needed to make the ECU work in your car, knowing that McLaren is going to spread the data around their own design team? Heck, if management "doesn't know" about the third assistant engineer with a remote "kill switch" for the competitor's engines, ...

McLaren didn't come across so well in Friday's reports. Hamilton never even heard of Ferrari. Riiight. Alonso, "I'm #1 or the FIA gets my emails". Pfftt. De la Rosa actively solicited data, but "didn't use it because the cars are sooo different". Riiight. And that's just from the drivers' emails (which Alonso threatened to release). How much other data still hasn't come out?

Maybe Ferrari ought to take de la Rosa at his word, and tell the FIA that if the Ferrari is all that different, then McLaren can't possibly build a suitable ECU for Ferrari next year.

But you can't get rid of the McLaren ECUs next year without also dismissing Microsloth --- and their wolfpack of ravenous lawyers. I don't think anybody wants a piece of that (-)storm.

4. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I disagree with the reason you're disappointed with FA. He was being fed info, not seeking it...that was on De la Pink. That said, I still believe that kind of stuff happens all the time in F1. HOWEVER, trying to leverage his role to force a #1 driver status with RD is the issue I have with FA. I find that action to be more damning than listening to his team's test driver feed him info on what the competition does.

I disagree with the overall hatred of Hamilton. People dislike him because he comes off as a nice guy in public but is cut throat when the camera's off? Isn't any media-saavy competitor that way? I think it's great, because if he REALLY is as nice as he appears, he wouldn't be winning races.

While I'm hopeful for Lewis from a "great story" standpoint this year, I think FA is poised to win his 3rd straight WDC.

5. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
  6. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Good post Jeff

My take is the FIA has tried to keep as many people as happy as possible

You can look at many aspects of the punishment and they can look unjust for one party or another..

One that concerns me is that because the amount of money Mc have been fined is because there are still racing and they know Mc can afford it .. A bit like saying you have more money than me so when caught speeding you pay more than me who has less even though we were doing the same speed..;)

This is not fair with relation to the rest of the runners..

Max hates RD wanted him out = 100mil Bernie wants LH racing= tv ratings attendance=cash

The FIA had to something and RD had been backed into a corner with FA about to blab which is a low life trick this is the result.

I doubt the info as such gleaned, is nothing new as in normal banter within the paddocks maybe a little more juicer than normal..

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    BusinessF1 had a great inside view article of what went down in Hungary on Saturday and it does not shed a good light on Hamilton AND his dad. They both deliberately stirred the pot and in hindsight I have to actually forgive Alonso for holding up Hamilton. Particularly since that was staged drama by Lewis and wasn't even necessary.

And yes, the wunderkind is starting to loose a bit of his glamour now that he is without Alonso's setup information. Alonso might just dust him off for the title this year.

8. dyskdok

dyskdok Rookie

Sep 14, 2007
    I don't think you read my post carefully... I clearly stated that it WAS the responsibility of the teams to abide by the rules. My statement goes to the fact that there is NO RULE making it illegal to disseminate your own data. Any team could publish their findings in a newsletter. Right? It would be stupid to do so but in no way a violation of the rules. What is ILLEGAL is for a team to use another team's information without permission. McLaren did that. That is not Scuderia Ferrari's responsibility.

9. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I am reading where most of the MM sponsors are sticking with the team. they are making statments to the effect that they can't see where MM did anything wrong.

I disagree, but it's their money.

10. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Phil

Bad press is good press.. as you said its their cash..

11. phylotic

phylotic Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 20, 2007
    US/EU
    Full Name:
    Gheorghe

As the dream dissolves into reality - welcome back :)

Maybe we even find out re:Massa/Kimi this Sunday.

12. AspiringF1Campione

Aug 25, 2007
    Eastern USA
    Full Name:
    Katherine
    $100,000,000 AND docked of all their points?! The FIA is going INSANE!!! It's not like McLaren burned Ferrari SpA to the ground!

If you go to www.ferrarifiction.blogspot.com, you can see what I really think about the whole thing.

But hey - Raikkonen won. PARTY!

--
    Daytona
    Assaults Engineer
    Team Ferrari 2100

13. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    For not kicking McLaren out of the championship all together, they got off lightly with a fine and driver's point intact.

14. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    +1

15. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Andreas

You were spot on with that although run off maybe more apt..

I did like him seems along time ago now..

16. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Press criticism 'not clever' - Alonso
    Sep.16 (GMM) Lewis Hamilton at Spa-Francorchamps counted himself out of the espionage affair. "I don't have Fernando (Alonso)'s email address," the Briton told reporters, referring to the explosive evidence that recently threw open the affair and ultimately led to McLaren's FIA sanction. Spaniard Alonso, however, chided those with such a simplistic view of the situation, specifically hitting out at the "English press" in conversation with Spanish reporters at Spa. "After winning two world championships it doesn't matter to me what anyone says about me," the 26-year-old, who closed his championship deficit to Hamilton to just two points on Sunday at Spa, added.

"But anyone who thinks this was about two emails is not, I think, very clever."

He also dismissed Max Mosley's claim on Saturday that the FIA will keep a close eye on whether McLaren treat Alonso differently in the wake of his whistle-blowing.

"I do not protecting," Alonso said, "because I have done nothing that would require it. If Max called me yesterday it was to thank me for my collaboration and nothing else."

He therefore denied that the affair would damage his relationship with McLaren as the 2007 season winds down.
    Spy game 2007
    BACKGROUND
    Time line spy game
    Complete coverage
    Ferrari
    McLaren

"We have lived in this situation for two, three months and achieved good results, leading both world championships," Alonso explained. "Inside the team, nothing has changed, but no-one (in the media) seems to be interested in that.

"In any team or any job you have bumps. I am happy whenever I am winning, and not happy when I am not," he said.

"Right now I have a winning car and I am fighting for my third consecutive world title, so for that reason, I am happy."

END OF F1 COMPLETE ARTICLE

Lewis Hamilton at Spa-Francorchamps counted himself out of the espionage affair. "I don't have Fernando (Alonso)'s email address," the Briton told reporters, referring to the explosive evidence that recently threw open the affair and ultimately led to McLaren's FIA sanction.

With quips like this, Lewis should join us on Fchat. Very clever IMVHO. :D

17. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Didn't you see his response to FIA? Lewis never even heard of Ferrari. ;)

18. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    And Lewis doesn't have Stepney's nor Ferrari's email address as well :D

19. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA

Yes, read my post. And I do not feel Briatore acted without prompting, but he did give it to MLM when asked...what did MLM do when this broke: "RD= we are not involved" when in fact members of his team were. Point being: FB, for whatever prompting, went to MLM to try to square it away.....RD's team, ran the other direction... I believe if RD had acted more honestly, and QUICKLY when known, he would have less problems. To say RD didn't know is hog wash. No one puts up a firewall to block specific emails without a team principal knowing.
    rik

20. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    #745 Tobias, Sep 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    That is brilliant.

22. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I especially love the "Formula NONE pictures" part.

23. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    ROFLMMFAO "And Kimi Raikkonnen as "the guy in the gorilla suit""
    Damn near pissed myself laughing.

24. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    ya, and I like "Incredible mumbling by Kimi, chap deserves an Oscar" LOL :D

25. Ambassiatore

Ambassiatore Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2007
    Full Name:
    David Figueredo T.
    ...brilliant...even on my line of bussiness...
    Looved it!