FIA bans traction control. Again! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

FIA bans traction control. Again!

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by GTE, Mar 30, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I agree with that approach much more than what is being done today...

2. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando

Maybe finding a driver that knows how to start a race ??

I'm all for F1 racing to have 50's style Lemans starts.....

3. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I'm more interested in seeing the opposite lock as they're exiting the corners fighting for position. I also hope this gives us a clearer look at each drivers skill, I'm very interested in seeing how Massa will cope, especially in wet conditions.

4. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i never knew about the massa/dc incident lol. but i really hope FIA will cut off most of the tech thats helping drivers these days.

5. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    That will never happen as the sport is technology-driven.

If they went back to no TC, gearshifts and clutches instead of paddles on the wheel, it would be like any other open-wheel series.
    There's a lot of things I 'wish' they would do, like go back in time 20 years, or 30 years with cars, but that won't happen.

6. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I think there is so much tech in a modern F1 car that any profession driver could get down to within 10 seconds of pole after a month of training. To me that shouldn't be possible. I'm not sure how aerodynamics could be controlled, but I would love to see the vast majority, if not all of the electronic aids no longer allowed..

7. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Within 10 seconds? With a month of training? Any profesional driver would be a HELL of alot closer than that. The talented ones would be able to match, if not beat in some cases most of the current F1 drivers. Just look at all these rookies coming into F1 and immediately being on the pace : Hamilton, Kubica, Rosberg, Vettel, Kovaleinen not so much, but you get my point lol. I agree with what you're saying though, F1 appears to be too easy nowadays for any professional driver.

8. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    I agree that 10 seconds is a bit munch, but saying that any professional driver can match or beat an F1 driver's time is just insane. Watch an onboard video of Kimi/Schumi at Monaco and decide if you think Dale Earnheardt could do it.

...Yeah. That's what I thought.

9. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i agree. PLus, F1 is the leader of motorsports. but, what else way there is to ensure that races are more exciting? look at Melbourne. nothing spectacular, IMO. and i just hope that the rest of the season won't be like that.

FIA have done a lot to improvise the excitment level, but is any of those actually working? the latest stunt of using all sorts of tyres, didn't make much difference to me, but then again, i suppose it's too early to make any judgement.

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Traction control redefined "use it or lose it" - whereby one would use traction control or lose control of traction.

This will separate the men from the boys, and afford for some seat of the pants racing and spectating.

With TC's passing - we'll see some passing again.

In 2008, if FIA doesn't offset this good move with a bad one - all will be well in the F1 Universe.

11. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    That's not what I said, but it was convenient that you either ignored the fine points or didn't comprehend them. So let's review....

1. I said any professional would be a hell of alot closer than 10 seconds off the pace after a month of training, as dretceterini first mentioned.

2. I then said that the TALENTED ones would be able to match and SOMETIMES beat MOST of the current drivers in F1. Obviously that means that the best outside of F1 would sometimes be able to match and beat most of the F1 drivers excluding the super talents like Raikkonen and Alonso. There are quite a few drivers in F1 who don't posses any sort of extra, once in a while type of talent.

3. Look at when Jeff Gordon (who is one of the best outside of F1) tested a Williams F1 car for the first time at Indy, he was instantly fast. Look at Sebastian Bourdais ( one of the best outside F1) when he tested a STR F1 and was immediately faster than Scott Speed and rivaled Liuzzi, he actually beat Liuzzi's time in the same car, on the final day as well. Now, Jeff and Sebastian certainly didn't have a month's worth of training in F1, do you see my point now?

12. Demigod555

Demigod555 Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2005
    SF
    Sounds like a plan, I'm all for decreasing driver aids.

13. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

I was giving F1 drivers the benifit of the doubt. It would probably be more like 3 (if not less) seconds very soon after a non-F1 driver got in a modern F1 car....

The basic point is that technology has become more important than the driver, and even though technology is interesting to me, F1 should be about the drivers.....otherwise elimianate them competely and have the cars run by computers....

14. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Precisely: In the Danner story I reported a while ago, 3 seconds off the pace for that particular Super Aguri what was he came down to after one day.

True, he was a F1 driver (20 years ago), but he also had zero degree track temperature. So 3 seconds sounds about right as the margin for a pro driver.

15. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    I agree. We might as well go back to Adelaide.

16. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Exactly my point, and I agree completely.

17. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    +2

A lot of drivers look better than they really are due to these electronic aids. Rain really is the rgeat equalizer, you can readily discern who understands car control and who doesn't. Remove the driver aids and you will say greater dispersion in lap times in the dry as well.

Guys like Massa ought to be sh$tting their pants at the thought...

18. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Yes. Pray for rain. It makes for much better racing IMHO.

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You can experience the difference of TC yourself in good F1 simulations like "F1 2002" or "Grand Prix 4": Turn it off and see what happens to your laptimes. Without TC I barely get the power down, slipping and sliding all over the place. Feeding 800 hp in on those grooved tires is an art in itself.

20. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Excellent post.

21. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Andreas you have to got be kidding with this post, it is like whacking off with a playboy and thinking your having sex, not the same as really racing.

22. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    i'm hoping it will be as 'clean cut' as it sounds...where raw car control will be of the essence once again...but, something tells me the engineers are already hard at work to 'make up' for this new rule. as much as it would make for better racing, when it comes down to it, all the teams care about is getting the fastest lap times(having the best driver or not)...so there will certainly be 'something' developed to make up for this lost aide...me, i want to see the a@@ end of the cars swinging, the fronts pushing, all four wheels sliding...i wan't to see a driver on the edge, over the edge, and taming his beast. even if it means the ultimate lap time will inevitably be slower.

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually I'm taking my virtual racing quite serious. Which is also why I love to try out different real race cars to see how close any computer simulation got it. Yes you don't have the Gs and the danger, but the effects of TC turned on and off is relatively well simulated.

As I said before somewhere else, when I drove my real car on the USGP track, the look of the track didn't feel any different than when I played it on my sim. Same was true for Monaco and Spa. The speeds were a bit different though... :)

Maybe I should take a picture of my sim while I'm taking one of the Mauro doodle?

24. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i think we should all prepare ourselves for a wet weekend. it's bee raining like crazy here, almost all day :)

25. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    +1

After all, it is a Drivers championship, not an Engineers championship, right?