FIA bans traction control. Again! | FerrariChat

FIA bans traction control. Again!

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by GTE, Mar 30, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    According to F1racing.net, tractioncontrol is set to be banned in 2008. Again!

Let´s see what the manufacturers will come up with to create devices that prevent the wheels from spinning, yet can´t be considered tractioncontrol. I can remember certain engine-mapping systems.

Should be fun!

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    They might actually stand a better chance of controlling it this time: Remember that engine development has been frozen and this month each team had to supply a reference engine to the FIA.

Regardless, banning traction control is the right thing to do.

3. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    agreed

4. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Why, so all the street versions can be based on what Porsche develops for *their* racing?

Or so Ferrari can put an untested version on their production machine, and then get trashed for poor reliability?

F1 is still supposed to be a makes championship. If it goes in a street car, it belongs in racing.

(I'd love to see what innovations those team budgets would come up with if there were an emissions limit on F1 cars.)

There can be another race series for "stripped to the bone spec cars".

5. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    I still remember the day when traction control meant the driver's right foot...

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It is a question as old as F1 racing itself: What is more important, the technological progress or the driver input?

Each fan has to answer that for himself.

I'm all for new technology, so at first I was all for traction control. But now that this topic has been plowed enough, I'm happy to see it banned. We have decent traction and stability controls and fly by wire and paddle shiftings now in street cars, so F1 can release that area back to the human input and focus on something new (like e.g. emissions controls as you suggest).

As you probably know I have a big interest in manned space flight and compare it to that: Once NASA has shown how it is done (e.g. suborbital flights, orbital flights, lunar fly bys), they can release that field to the amateurs and the Virgin Galactics of this world can play with it. No more need to do research in that.

7. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Traction control is a BAD thing for F1. That goes for pretty much all electronic "drivers aids".

The question is whether F1 should PRIMARILY be a showcase of technology and constructors capabilities OR a venue for the absolute best drivers on the planet to showcase their skills and fight for the world drivers championship. At some point the two ARE mutually exclusive.

If you prefer the former.... then allow all electronic aids and any development that serves to make the car faster regardless of driver involvement. If this is the path, then I would expect the driver himself to pretty soon be removed from the car completely. After all, the driver weighs 150lb or more and the space he takes up in the car could be better served with other equipment for better weight distribution. The driver could "drive" the car from a remote "cockpit". This would remove the distraction of all the G forces and remove any danger of injury. The driver could get all the feedback he needs from the remote cockpit. For the driver it would become the ultimate video game and the cars would be faster and technology would be driven forward in leaps and bounds.

But this would make F1 suck more than it already does.

F1 IMHO should be primarily about the Drivers Championship. The cars should be HARD to drive and very hard to wring the absolute best out of. This means less drivers aids.

F1 is already a spec formula to a degree. Rules limit all sorts of things on the cars.... the problem is the rules limit the wrong things and thus make winning more dependent on the technology and the car than the driver. I think any of the top 10 or so drivers could win the WDC given a seat in the top car and team. Compare this to other periods like the early to mid 1970s when any one of 6-8 teams had equipment capable of winning and it really was the skill of the driver that was the determining factor.

Here is what I would do for F1:

- No electronic drivers aids of any sort. No traction control.... no ABS... nothing.

- Brake discs must be constructed of Steel. Pad materials are free as is caliper design but the rotors must be steel.

- Spec wings and aero. The FIA should issue front wings, barge boards, rear wings and diffusers to a set spec for each track 3 weeks before each event. Each teams must run the exact same aero package. The overall aero downforce to be generated should be roughly 40% or so of what it is today. All cars must run a totally flat underbody.

- All gear shifting must be manual, the clutch must be manually operated and gears must be selected via a gear shift lever with no sequential shifting. DRIVERS must shift gears manually.

- Rear wheels can be 16" wide with front wheels 12" wide. Tires are totally free.... any slick can be run. The effort here is to dramatically increase the amount of pure mechanical grip being achieved while aero grip is reduced.

- Normally aspirated engines up to 4.0 liters are permitted in any cylinder configuration desired. Engines must run for at least 2 events (to keep costs down). The FIA must have access to all engine ECU and telemetry data at all times. Any team caught using engine management systems to in effect institute a traction control system will be fined $20M and have all results for the year negated.

Basically.... more power, lots less aero grip, lots more mechanical grip, drivers shifting gears and braking returned to where passing under braking is a realistic and frequent possibility and no drivers aids.

Do all that and F1 would be by far the most exciting RACING on the planet. As it is now, from a pure racing standpoint and showcase of refined driver skill and racing ability I find the Goodwood Revival to be far better than any F1 race.

Terry

8. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    To retard the sound of an F1 engine at full song should be reason enough to ban TC. Watching drivers pull that sideways, almost out of control race car back is also beautiful.

9. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    +1

10. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David

I would like to see some at least rudimentary form of emissions work at the F1 level. There is a social responsibility involved as the worlds largest sports television audience and representing the major manufacturers on the planet.
    Time to grow up.

11. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Agreed.

12. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    If you want to hug trees, then go hug trees. This is a motorsport, for Chrissake...

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    While I'm no tree hugger myself, he does have an argument. It would behoove F1 to embrace more of the eco friendly and politically correct technologies. And that is actually coming with the planned recouping of the brake energy. Not that I terribly care personally, but it does help the image of F1 and it won't really negatively affect the racing part of it. A win/win for everybody.

Or to put it differently: Switzerland banned motor racing after the Le Mans accident in the fifties. Ever since many groups have tried to get the ban on racing reversed and have again a Swiss GP. This never happened for a variety of reasons, but not the least was the political belief, that the "glorification of the automobile" is sending the wrong message to the kids. Think about it: If F1 could evolve into a testbed for tomorrow's eco friendly technologies, those voices would be silenced.

14. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    +1 Agreed 1000% PERCENT! Excellent post.

15. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    +1000

16. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Personally, I would rather see something more like formula libre, with virtually no rules, other than the car must fit into a box of "x" width, "y" height, and "z" length.....unfortuantely, no one could afford this type of almost totally unlimited car....

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It was tried back in the sixties and seventies and killed a lot of its participants. It was called CanAm.

18. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

There is a lot more technology than there was then....also, isn't F1 supposed to be the ultimate form of racing, and have as few controls as possible?

19. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    That seems nutty.

Does anyone want to see a Ford Focus pound around a race track at 135 kph?

A race car is a totally different machine than a street car, even on a Ferrari level.

The whole notion of "race on Sunday and sell on Monday" is about 50 years past.

I don't want to see windows breaking, body roll severe brake fade, drivers sliding around in a seat with a shoulder belt. I also don't want to see how many deaths will be caused by having street cars pushed for 2 hours straight on a race track designed for race cars.

No one does that for many very good reasons.

20. DGS

Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Actually, what I was thinking is that preserving performance isn't a priority for anybody else working on emissions controls.

I'd like to see some auto technology that doesn't equate "green" with "slug".

21. DGS

Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Yes, and there's a series for that. It's not F1, though.

But developing disc brakes happened in F1 -- and FIA didn't ban them as making it "too easy" on the driver. And does that Focus have drum brakes?

The one I keep coming back to is ABS. F1 never had it for long -- and the ones that went on production cars in the '80s were garbage. Because it was never "wrung out" on the track.

By the same token, I skipped the Mitsu 3000GT/VR4, because it had a lot of innovative features .... and never raced anywhere. (Garage queen.)

My EVO doesn't have all the ponies of the WRC car (although the anti-lag would be handy) -- but a lot of the hardware has been tried and tested.

Why should I pay for experimental technology on my daily driver, when some of the best drivers in the world get paid the big money to work the bugs out of "bleeding edge" technology?

22. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Cant wait to see the first race with rain :). I will also put up 3:1 odds, Ferrari hires Michael to race in the rain for them. That race should be lots of fun and is the only chance Spyker has of making a podium,

23. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    LOL, now that is positive thinking. I think Kimi will be alright though if it does Rain. With Rain my bet is either Kimi or FA for the win.

24. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    I love races in the rain, it reminds me which drivers really really suck and how stupid some drivers/teams can be (ie. put on hard compounds when its still raining :))

25. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    It does really separate the great ones doesn't it?